Weld on beadlocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gumby

Supamod
s-Moderator
Threads
I checked out Rockstompers web page this morning to look at their weld on beadlock rings. I'm thinking with a couple of hours on the Bridgeport I can make a similar product. The issue with a 40 series is going to be adding another inch to the inside of the rim right where the steering arms get close.

Anybody have any experience with this?

They have a nice page at Rockstomper.com in the products section.

why beadlock the inner?

And This has been covered a bunch of times.

It really is not particularly cost effective to make your own for what Scott charges..

kinda funny you asked, i was on the phone with my steel supplier check prices on laser cut plates for this very same thing. I had a post up here and on pirate looking for the proper size for 15" wheels, and finally got a response. i had my steel guy price 10 rings, 5 to weld to my rims and 5 for the lockers. I will put the holes in on my Haas cnc mill. while i am setup i could probably be persuaded to make some more.
now a question. Why does rockstomper use a threaded insert on the welded ring instead of just tapping the holes? is this somehow stronger, or easier to repair? I know from a manufacturing standpoint it is cheaper to make cause you have less work, but those inserts are not cheap.
who would be interested if I could sell the rings with tapped holes instead of inserts and you provide your own fasteners for 57 per tire? plus shipping of course :) that a way you could use the fastener of your choice and I wouldn't be marking them up on you. give me enough response and i'll get the material on order.
Steve

1/4" mild steel does not really have much ability to hold a thread well.
And if it does get cross threaded you have a problem..

Think of the material that they use for the nutcerts..

i'm not sure what the nutcert material is, but even mild steel with 32 3/8 bolts should be plenty strong. If you cross thread then use a threaded insert, but not a helicoil. just my opinion, I am new to the sport, but not to metal.

[quote author=Mace link=board=12;threadid=11361;start=msg103202#msg103202 date=1076515886]
why beadlock the inner?

And This has been covered a bunch of times.

It really is not particularly cost effective to make your own for what Scott charges..

[/quote]

I guess I don't know why not to beadlock the inner.

THis has not been covered many times on this forum, maybe on other places you might frequent. There has been a recent thread on beadlocks, but it was very general and didn't have much to say on custom built ones.

You might be right about Scott. I just don't know that I can't make 'em for less than $80 each. That's something I'm trying to find out.

im not 100% sure but I dont think anyone locks the inner, just the outer bead. please, someone out there correct me if im wrong.

The outer is usually the only one locked because that is the bead most often lost and the inner has a larger bead retention ridge. That is unless you have the small 2" offset rims that have the center section reversed. In that case the larger bead retention ridge is on the outside where you willbe adding the locks.
PMK

[quote author=tewlman link=board=12;threadid=11361;start=msg103361#msg103361 date=1076537664]
im not 100% sure but I dont think anyone locks the inner, just the outer bead. please, someone out there correct me if im wrong.
[/quote]

There are types of locks that do both the inner and outer beads (hummer rims are an easy example). ubt honestly, you rarely will have any problems with an inner bead. It is just not as necessary as the outer.

[quote author=Gumby link=board=12;threadid=11361;start=msg103426#msg103426 date=1076544662]
In that case my job just got easier or I just need to find $320 to pay Rockstomper or $230 for tewlman.

Thanks
[/quote]

I like the sound of the latter :D

nutsert are aluminum aren't they. tewlman, the rockstomper rings have been known to cone in when the bolts are tightened. would it be possible to mill a spacer to prevent this to some degree. there are guys that use fan belt to prevent this but a flanged inner ring would be the ideal as any "coning" would then make the ring clamp the bead tighter adn the bolt heads would sit square in the holes. if they cross thread, drill and rethread larger. then try to find that bolt out of all the others when they are off. LOL

i planned on using some 3/4 or 1" spacers, maybe a dozen or so equally spaced around the wheel to keep the outer ring from coning. i'll make them just slightly thinner than the bead to allow it to clamp the bead tight then bottom out.

I agree with Mace here. I do not see how a piece of .250" thick steel will keep a thread when someone apes on the fastener. Even going fine thread, they will pull out.(Someone WILL ape on them)

My Trailready units use a nut and a bolt. I did not use their hardwear, but Cat 5/16" bolts, a flat washer on the inside, and a metal locking nut, all grade 8. I have had fasteners break on me, and have replaced them without any issues concerning drilling and tapping and worrying about edge distance of a larger hole and so on. I would look into a thicker clamp ring to try and control the coneing. Hell, I have seen the trailreadys large clamp ring cone...

But just me...

Good luck!

Post some pics when you get these going!!

-Steve

[quote author=cavsfj40 link=board=12;threadid=11361;start=msg103585#msg103585 date=1076556759]
nutsert are aluminum aren't they. tewlman, the rockstomper rings have been known to cone in when the bolts are tightened. would it be possible to mill a spacer to prevent this to some degree. there are guys that use fan belt to prevent this but a flanged inner ring would be the ideal as any "coning" would then make the ring clamp the bead tighter adn the bolt heads would sit square in the holes. if they cross thread, drill and rethread larger. then try to find that bolt out of all the others when they are off. LOL
[/quote]

Bobby long also makes a weld on beadlock kit (not to add more competition Tewlman :D) His have an inner ring to reduce the coning effect..

If you are going to make some why not make them better ;)

[quote author=Jonathan_Ferguson link=board=12;threadid=11361;start=msg103697#msg103697 date=1076564986]
Why not Internal Bead Locks?
[/quote]Price?

that is a slick idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom