Welcome to Veterans' Highway! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Welcome home and to the Mud group. I did a bunch of training in Fort Lewis with the rangers instructing. Was one hell of a big base for this small town guy. I live here on Vancouver Island BC Canada wife and dog. If you ever want a road trip your welcome here just email me before coming. Im building a diesel 60 series should have her on the road for Christmas! Well all the best, JIM Infatry Ret
2-75 Bat. I knew more than a few back then. I should have posted my vet status sooner. Would have stopped by. 2 years ago my wife and I took my LX on a 5800 mile trip to Crested Butte, Colorado, got married, next was Moab, then to visit Army brothers in the Pac NW. Spent a week back around Rainier and Ft. Lewis.

Recently returned to the FJ80 universe after many years away. Here's my introductory post: 3FE Owners Check-In - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/3fe-owners-check-in.88181/page-114#post-14174188

Air Force ROTC University of Alabama (1988-1992), F-15 Maintenance Officer 1992-1996 (Tyndall AFB, FL), Pilot Training 1996-1997 (Columbus AFB, MS), T-37 Instructor 1997-2000 (Laughlin AFB, TX), C-130H Aircraft Commander 2001-2005 (Elmendorf AFB, AK). OEF Philippines/Afghanistan deployments 2002-2005. Separated active duty 2005, got on with FedEx but finished out with both USAFR from 2005-2011 as Civil Air Patrol/USAFA Liaison then MS ANG (Meridian) from 2011-2015. Retired six years ago.

E5E75B06-0ECC-4FF2-8396-11BE90086B88.jpeg

Laughlin 1997-2000

CE89B666-F4F1-4658-B9CD-89A381156C8A.jpeg

Alaska 2001-2005

366497D0-5356-43E2-84DE-3BA74F5AC20D.jpeg

Afghanistan 2004-2005

724A1DD4-C00A-46FB-8612-EE71544DDC58.jpeg

The 94 FZJ I always regretted selling when we left AK. My wife's all time favorite vehicle. She's glad to have another FJ80 in the family again. Happy wife, happy life!

tempImage4fDtVP.jpg

God bless you all. Thank you for your service. Proverbs 3:5-6

- Sundance

Welcome to the Highway @Sundance , thanks for your service. Glad you Landed back on MUD (my cheap attempt at aviation humor) :)

Larry in El Paso

Welcome @Dusten , Welcome to the highway. Thanks for your service. Picture of a cruiser in its natural habitat.

Larry in El Paso

Hi,
I'm Mark. Here is my original intro, just adding it to the Veterans' Highway.
12 year Army vet, 25 years of Federal service.
If you are ever near Bozeman Montana and want to ride with @406cruisers, drop me a DM. Below pic is from our Goose Lake Trail ride in Aug '21.
Taco Goose Lake.jpg

Hi Mark, @406Camper , welcome to the highway. Thanks for your service. Good looking Taco.

Larry in El Paso

Wow, I've been here awhile and never knew of this thread.

My name is Tom. I served 7 years in the Navy from 84 to 91. Desert Storm veteran. I was an HT1-E6 and was eligible for the CPO exam. In the Navy, I was a welder and then a non-destructive test inspector certified in radiography, ultrasonic testing, mag particle and dye penetrant inspection. I did want to make it a career but the orders that were offered at reenlistment were far less than desirable, so I checked out. I worked aerospace and commercial construction for a few years until I was hired in law enforcement. One of my divisional assignments was a traffic motor officer and became a major collision reconstructionist. Survived that and retired after 21 years.

I am living about 10 miles NE of Durango, CO. at 7750 elevation. We get some snow.

I am working on a frame-off restomod of my 74 40. Aiming for something like Steve Heck's project.

Wow, I've been here awhile and never knew of this thread.

My name is Tom. I served 7 years in the Navy from 84 to 91. Desert Storm veteran. I was an HT1-E6 and was eligible for the CPO exam. In the Navy, I was a welder and then a non-destructive test inspector certified in radiography, ultrasonic testing, mag particle and dye penetrant inspection. I did want to make it a career but the orders that were offered at reenlistment were far less than desirable, so I checked out. I worked aerospace and commercial construction for a few years until I was hired in law enforcement. One of my divisional assignments was a traffic motor officer and became a major collision reconstructionist. Survived that and retired after 21 years.

I am living about 10 miles NE of Durango, CO. at 7750 elevation. We get some snow.

I am working on a frame-off restomod of my 74 40. Aiming for something like Steve Heck's project.

Fantastic. Former SH-60B pilot. What ship were you on during Desert Storm?

Best.

Fantastic. Former SH-60B pilot. What ship were you on during Desert Storm?

Best.
I was on the USS Jason AR-8. We sent repair crews to stabilize the Tripoli and Princeton.

I was the Airboss on the La Salle, AGF-3. We took the mine sweeping gear from the Tripoli and the Princeton SH-60 helos...the Det OinC was a friend of mine.

Thanks for all you did.

Do you have a link to your build? I am sure it is going to be impeccable.

Best.

I was on the USS Jason AR-8. We sent repair crews to stabilize the Tripoli and Princeton.

I was the Airboss on the La Salle, AGF-3. We took the mine sweeping gear from the Tripoli and the Princeton SH-60 helos...the Det OinC was a friend of mine.

Thanks for all you did.

Do you have a link to your build? I am sure it is going to be impeccable.

Best.
Thank you, as well. Yes, the link is in post 1249.

Hi Tom @h82crash , Welcome to the highway. Thanks for your service.

Larry in El Paso

I missed it. Great stuff, Tom.

The La Salle was the first ship into Kuwait. I had flown in earlier with the CO and the COMMIDEASTFOR Admiral. As you no doubt remember, looks of smoke!
Yup, very smokey. We arrived on station in the Gulf and the air attack began that day. I was sent to the USS Vancouver for an emergency repair and it steamed to Kuwait. The repair took a day but I was along for the ride for a couple of weeks. Got to ride in a 46 to the Tarawa, was there for several days and then a ride in a 53 to Bahrain to meet my command. Fun stuff.

Got to ride in a 46 to the Tarawa,

I was a “passenger” on the Tarawa for her 1st deployment in 1979 (WESPAC). Our berthing compartment was aft under the flight deck. A squadron of AV-8 Harriers made that location an interesting place to try and sleep during flight OPS. I knew I was old when I was having a pint er‘ two with a group of Marines who were training at Camp Dawson in Kingwood WV. One fresh faced young Corporal asked me what ships I had been on. When I replied “The USS Tarawa” the group got really quite. Finally my inquisitive companion leaned over and said “The Tarawa was decommissioned 10 years ago”…

So I bought a round and we toasted LHA-1..:cheers:

I was a “passenger” on the Tarawa for her 1st deployment in 1979 (WESPAC). Our berthing compartment was aft under the flight deck. A squadron of AV-8 Harriers made that location an interesting place to try and sleep during flight OPS. I knew I was old when I was having a pint er‘ two with a group of Marines who were training at Camp Dawson in Kingwood WV. One fresh faced young Corporal asked me what ships I had been on. When I replied “The USS Tarawa” the group got really quite. Finally my inquisitive companion leaned over and said “The Tarawa was decommissioned 10 years ago”…

So I bought a round and we toasted LHA-1..:cheers:
That is the way it works! I was a Plank Owner of the USS Valley Forge, the 4th Aegis Class Cruiser, CG-50. Picked her up in Pascagula, flew off her in the Gulf of Mexico, then through the Panama Canal to San Diego.

She is now a Fish AIRBNB:)

Same with the La Salle. Both used as "missile- sponges". Has to happen, but wow.

cg50IMG_3405.jpg

10090314.jpg

Last edited:
Who knows, we may be shaving with the USS Tarawa..😳 I never really thought about it before but, the life expectancy of these old ships is not that long at all. Except for an LST. Those ships and roaches will inherit the earth…

That is the way it works! I was a Plank Owner of the USS Valley Forge, the 4th Aegis Class Cruiser, CG-50. Picked her up in Pascagula, flew off her in the Gulf of Mexico, then through the Panama Canal to San Diego.

She is now a Fish AIRBNB:)

Same with the La Salle. Both used as "missile- sponges". Has to happen, but wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom