Weird HVAC registers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So our house has these bizarre registers in the bedrooms that I've never seen before (because I have so much experience with HVAC, ha). They work pretty well for directing the air actually out into the rooms instead of just up, but I can not find any info about them anywhere. Any of you guys seen registers like these? They look like baseboard heaters at first glance, but obviously aren't.

A few pics:

Unmolested
2011-06-19_19-09-42_776.jpg

Inside, flapper closed
2011-06-19_19-04-48_445.jpg

Inside, flapper open
2011-06-19_19-05-07_193.jpg

Weird, eh? I got them all cleaned out, replaced the ball chains and hit the hinge/spring assemblies with some Kroil and they work great now. Should be good when we have to fire up the A/C when we get our half week of real Summer weather for the season.

I saw those on some house show on tv, kinda figured that's what they were. Cold air sinks so I would think you'd want them at the ceiling height but if they work there then that's fine too.

fsusteve said:
I saw those on some house show on tv, kinda figured that's what they were. Cold air sinks so I would think you'd want them at the ceiling height but if they work there then that's fine too.

It's kinda "six of one, half a dozen of the other" with placement, since both the heat and A/C systems share ductwork in the house. Be great to have A/C registers mounted up high though.

My house was built in 1959 and has baseboard registers, similar to yours better looking. These were common in the 50s and 60s before air-conditioning was common. The norm in those days was to position heat registers below the windows and this is where mine are all located.

Woodsman said:
My house was built in 1959 and has baseboard registers, similar to yours better looking. These were common in the 50s and 60s before air-conditioning was common. The norm in those days was to position heat registers below the windows and this is where mine are all located.

That makes sense. Our house is a '57 and these are all under windows too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom