Weird Handling Behavior (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DirtDawg

"It'd be alot cooler if you did"
Threads
3 days until I leave for HIH7 and I am doing some last minute PM. I have replaced practically every part in my front suspension and I am still not liking how my truck is handling. I have a constant pull to the left when on the accelerator, initial torque steer to the left off of a light, pull to the right when braking hard at low speeds, it feels like the steering wheel shifts to the left every time I hit a decent sized bump at speed, and my steering wheel is a little off to the left. Heres everything I've done:

New lower ball joints
New steering rack 6k ago
New tie rod ends
Converted from AHC to Tough Dog suspension
CV reboot on passenger side and reclamp on driver
Alignment and balance/rotation

I got an alignment yesterday and the left pull is new, but not the initial torque steer, so I think I am going to take it back and see if they can get rid of it, but the other characteristics were there before. I just wanted to see if there was something I could adjust before I sent it back. Cross level is even, sitting at 21.5" both sides. Tire pressure is even on both sides. The only thing I see that is off is that the drivers side tie rod shows 12 threads and the passenger shows 8. Would that really cause all the weird handling issues I am experiencing? It's really frustrating to throw all this money at my cruiser and still have these issues. Any help or insight is appreciated.

I had same issues with handling and after replacing all front bushings it ended up being blown rear control arm bushings. I am 90% sure its that. its pretty hard to tell because the bushing are so still, but if you have any play in them at all, they are bad.

another thing, put your driver side mirror looking at your rear wheel and see if you can see the rear axel shift when taking off from a complete stop.

I had same issues with handling and after replacing all front bushings it ended up being blown rear control arm bushings. I am 90% sure its that. its pretty hard to tell because the bushing are so still, but if you have any play in them at all, they are bad.
Well my axle is definitely moving. Was on the way to the gym with the mirror on the rear tire and I couldn't tell much off of a stop, but going around turns I saw the axle shift quite a bit. Unfortunately i don't know if anyone can get me some control arms before I leave for HIH. Which were more worn? Upper or lower?

It was one upper and one lower that was totally blown, the others were not healthy either. Jason @reevesci ships pretty damn fast. When are you leaving? The install is pretty easy, appx. hour and half? Just do one side at a time and use a ratchet strap to keep the axel from moving away too far. Also keep in mind this will allow you to make your uppers shorter and your lowers longer to accommodate to your lifted truck .

It was one upper and one lower that was totally blown, the others were not healthy either. Jason @reevesci ships pretty damn fast. When are you leaving? The install is pretty easy, appx. hour and half? Just do one side at a time and use a ratchet strap to keep the axel from moving away too far. Also keep in mind this will allow you to make your uppers shorter and your lowers longer to accommodate to your lifted truck .
Shot Jason an email, we'll see if he can make something happen. Was hoping I could just swing uppers, but looks like I'm gonna have to do all 4

Well theres no way I can get some new rear links in before I leave so I will get on that when I get back. In the meantime, my plan is to go back to the alignment shop to see if they can get it pointed somewhat straight. And depending how that goes I am considering just disconnecting my front drive shaft and driving in 2wd on the highway stretches.

If you just needed the standard ones, I could bring some with me. I have the rears.
Do they have good bushings? I'll buy new ones when I get back, just wanting to make the ride there and back more comfortable than it currently is.

I got brand new rear links/bushings I just haven't replaced them yet. You're more than welcome to have them if you need them.

I take off tomorrow, so let me know if you need me to bring them with me. I'll be in Silverton on Wednesday.

I don't think disconnecting your front drive shaft would have any effect. Maybe if you disconnect your rear you wouldn't be transferring power there and eliminate your power steer, but I think you should just leave it as is. I Don't think it will get worse than it already is. since the bushings are only so thick.

Yeah I think you are right. I'll leave the driveshaft hooked up. The question is do you think that the rear links are the sole cause of my torque steer?

The axle moves, but minimally. And the rear links were the same then as they are now, yet the problem wasn't there before I did the front end work.

Same here. I have the exact same problem as the OP, but all my components are stock. Pretty sure I have a thrust alignment issue with the rear-end. When I lift it, I'm going to put TT adjustable control arms on, so they can do the proper thrust line alignment

Yeah I think you are right. I'll leave the driveshaft hooked up. The question is do you think that the rear links are the sole cause of my torque steer?

The axle moves, but minimally. And the rear links were the same then as they are now, yet the problem wasn't there before I did the front end work.
I'm not an alignment expert, but I do know that thrust line alignment, can be handled by adjusting the front end to compensate. If it's a linked rear-end with no means of adjustment, some alignment shops will do that.

Well it's back at the alignment shop now, so hopefully they can get it to drive straight. I'll report back.

:rofl::ban::rofl:are you regeared? I feel like I started having these issues after I regeared. "So much torque I twisted the chassis on take off" as Toreto said in the Fast and the Furious

:rofl::ban::rofl:are you regeared? I feel like I started having these issues after I regeared. "So much torque I twisted the chassis on take off" as Toreto said in the Fast and the Furious
No... stock gears here lol. :lol:

Would new upper control arms help? Seems they are needed for lifted 100's right?

Would new upper control arms help? Seems they are needed for lifted 100's right?
Yeah upper control arms are on the list to correct my caster, and now rear control arms are on. But the upper ball joint is tight so I'm not worried about it right now.

The pull ended up being a tire pull. I believe when they rotated my tires they only did front to back and not cross rotating. So swapping the front wheels got me driving straight again. It's a lot better now and the drive to HIH will be a lot more enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom