Weird dog question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My labs are just sloppy drinkers. They only get watered outside, otherwise we'd be mopping the floor every 15 minutes. :hillbilly:

Cuts, scrapes, sores?

cut, scraper. soreness on his/her lip, gums, etc while chewing on a chewy bone or other play object...could be a tooth to...but knowing Labs, he prolly just thinks its fun to splash water around on the floor. I didn't check the date on this post so my bad if it's from 2008. Hope all went well.

Maybe, like BOUNDER's dog, it broke its tooth by biting one of the gold bars you left lying around.

Don't get this question a lot and have never specifically "worked up" a similar issue but......

Issue not specific for any problem - many possibilities I suppose. Prepare yourself for a lot of diagnostics which may reveal nothing.

Need good oral exam - if considering a "thorough" dental exam then dental xrays would be important before you go extracting teeth - I mention that because not always done.

mass in the mouth/under the tongue? - cancer.... tooth root abscess? - extract tooth.... neurological? - it is what it is and possibly cancer elsewhere.... and the list goes on but I can't name any of them off the top of my head.

Obviously there is a "reason" for the water on the floor but that reason may be difficult to pin down - finding the test that reveals the problem is the challenge (would you consider a CT scan if presented?) BUT after extensive testing should you pusue it and provided all diagnostics are "non diagnostic," you gain peace of mind knowing that all reasonable tests reveal nothing significant and you've done all you could to isolate the issue.

Maybe try elevating the water bowl and see if that helps - after it is concluded that there is nothing "obvious" following a good oral exam/physical exam.

Any weight loss? increase h20 consumption? vomiting? neck pain? etc. Any additional relevant info that might narrow down the possibilities?

Best of luck. I would love to know what your vet thinks. This has the potential to be a frustrating case - unlikely to alter/improve problem unless a tooth abscess can be identified (and I think that unlikely) BUT on the other hand, this "change" is not guaranteed to be associated with a guarded prognosis/specific diagnosis.

I can see myself saying "I don't know... we can do this and try this" again and again and again - with no appreciable results.

William

Now, when he drinks water out of the bowl, he spills it literally everywhere. Big huge puddles all over the kitchen floor. It's like he holds it in his mouth, lifts his head, moves his head away from the bowl, and then opens his mouth dumping water everywhere. At first, I thought it was just one of those stupid things that dogs do, but then I started to wonder if maybe it's a sign that something is wrong with his mouth and he isn't shutting it the whole way, or indicative of something else.

Any thoughts?

I have a Weimaraner - therefore this seems completely normal.

but they look so smart....

2z8qofb.jpg
4jrqsh.jpg
2rgizig.jpg

Ha ha. I probably won't get another. Prefer the Vizslas.

Ha ha. I probably won't get another. Prefer the Vizslas.

I think I'm done with breeds until my kids get older. I'd love to have another Rott some day. Probably won't because of the liability, though.

My Vizsla loves my kids. All my dogs do, but he seems to understand that he can't just mow them over (unlike the weim).

Our yellow lab is the most gentle dog I've ever met and has been a great friend to the children since they were little.

labs and kids are like peanut butter and chocolate. they just are meant for each other.

of course labs are also clumsy, sloppy, and so lovable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom