Weird CDL Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there are MANY posts about CDL issues because I have read several in search of a solution.

It all started when the invincible Tank, took a dive in a hood high muddy pool and in the middle of which the fuel pump took a dump. 6OO bones later and it was at least running again with the dash full of lights (airbag light still on) and a little rough. I dried out the mass air flow sensor and checked the fluids, replacing most and was running great with 2 MPG improvement (?). But the CDL would not actuate. I took it off road to perform a function test about a dozen times and nothing.

So this is when I consulted Mud and read through most of the CDL post. I followed the trouble shooting tips starting with the wires in the dash and all showed proper function and found that the #2 to #3 was good, but the #2 and/or #3 to the ground was not right. I ended up taking the electric motor out and rebuilding (removing some water that was probably grounding out e-motor). I have a MAN A FRE 3/2 Lift so this required taking off the caster correction bracket, :doh:, not fun. After re-build I did a function test on the bench and it worked fine, so I re-installed.

I took to a construction site in the neighborhood to test actuating several times, and still didn’t work. Back in the drive way, I function tested the motor again by:

1) Put the center diff in 4Lo (obviously still not functioning).
2) Un-plugged the connection to CDL Motor.
3) Ran the jumper cables from battery to #2 and #3 and it locked just fine with ABS and CDL lights on in the dash.
4) Plugged the motor back in then put back in 4Hi
5) E-Motor pulled CDL back out into un-locked position.
6) Tried testing in construction zone again and did not work.

I am at a point where I don’t know how to make it work right. I plan to check the #2 and #3 feed wires this afternoon in the driveway, but wanted to see Mud member had any feed back by the time I get back out from underneath the Tank. :bang:

Thanks.

Man all I can tell you that IH8MUD!!!

I'm having similar issues, Have you tested your transmission relay? Thats what I think is wrong with mine, since I have confirmed that my actuator motor works fine.

Troubleshooting the Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser Center Diff Lock (CDL) | Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures

Hopefully your CDL actuator wasn't like this:
IMG_2276 (800x600).jpg

Hi There..

a few thousand miles away from you I am doing the exact same thing. had my head in the repair manual and then the wiring manual, all afternoon. i traced my problem to the conection at the cdl motor.
If I did the battery thing with #3 and #2, i could get the motor to work back and forth. eventually i cleaned out the conector really well, and everything seems to be working fine.

I have had a few of these problems over the years, it has never been anything under the dash, i would continue to work at the conections under the rig, clean out the ones to the motor, and all the other position ones, (there are three of them)... the light comes on in the dash only if the position switch moves, sometime it gets stuck, try that.
It does sound like the motor is working fine, so thats good news anyway.

good luck. keep us posted.

I took my LC to a local "Imports" mechanic to get a second opinion as I was very confused and I have been known to take the most difficult and usually most expensive approach to solving problems that end up being simple fixes. However I knew a lot more than my local mechanic who I now better understand to be a better German Auto mechanic than Japanese. So after I explained what the difference was between AWD and 4WD then what the CDL is, we both came to the conclusion that the electric motor is fried.

I ordered one of only two in the world new actuator assemblies from my local Toyota dealership after I talked him into a 20% discount shipping included. Unfortunately it won't be here before the 3 day wkend so I will have to find another project.

I am disappointed that toyota doesn't license someone to reman the CDL actuator assemblies so I can swap out with the refund of a core. Also I am surprised by how few there are out there.

I will post if this fixes the problem after I get it installed. I am very anxious to get the LC cruising again as it has been about 7-8 months since it worked.

I live in Casper wy and work keeps me humped up so much that I don't have the time to drive to Denver to part one out. I didn't see any advertised on mud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom