Weight limit for roof gutters on FJ60, Two rooftop tents? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rockymtnreaper

Colorado.Cruiser
Threads
Hey guys, I did some research and never found a clear answer. I am wondering what the weight limit is for the gutters adding roof racks, rooftop tents, Etc.

We were playing around the idea (If even possible, and not dangerous :confused:) Putting two rooftop tents on the roof using gutter mount racks. I by no means want to cause damage to my 60 or put anyone at risk. Just an idea.

Please let me know your thoughts... IF anything this can be a resource for someone who has thought of the same idea.

Picture for interest. :hillbilly:

IMG_0563.jpg

Hum, sorry not sure myself. However, I have carried 5 full size rail road ties up there with an INTI rack which is supported by 6 support arms.

My entire roof and gutters have been sealed with durabak and then with rhino liner.

Currently we are supporting the largest Tepui ruggedized tent (6'x8`) of sleeping space once open.
It weighs a little over 200 pound-ish and covers just about the entire INTI platform.
and a 270 degree manta awning along with 6 LED lights, one being 30" long.

So, not sure what size tents you are planing to mount which will both fit up there

What rack are you currently running
Must think about it becoming very top heavy.

Love to see pics if you can get it done.

20170926_173241.jpg
20170928_165941.jpg
20170920_172832.jpg

Hum, sorry not sure myself. However, I have carried 5 full size rail road ties up there with an INTI rack which is supported by 6 support arms.

My entire roof and gutters have been sealed with durabak and then with rhino liner.

Currently we are supporting the largest Tepui ruggedized tent (6'x8`) of sleeping space once open.
It weighs a little over 200 pound-ish and covers just about the entire INTI platform.
and a 270 degree manta awning along with 6 LED lights, one being 30" long.

So, not sure what size tents you are planing to mount which will both fit up there

What rack are you currently running
Must think about it becoming very top heavy.

Love to see pics if you can get it done.

View attachment 1562229 View attachment 1562231 View attachment 1562232

Thank you for the response. I wish my gutters were all sealed and beefed up. I measured the two tents out and they would Barely fit. (One is a 2 person tent, and the other a 3 person.) We decided to try it out when we have time just to put them up there and see how it would drive before committing to even a weekend trip. I don't really have a good feeling about putting that much weight up there. But now im curious so maybe I will do it just for a picture and go from there.

The gutter is stronger than any properly designed rack you can mount on it. I've had hundreds of pounds of gear lashed on my old ARB rack (not counting the 75 lbs rack) & drove thousands of miles with it, hundreds of them on rough dirt roads. Zero gutter issue. Cruiser though would get an F- on a Consumer Reports hazard avoidance test I'm sure. Tippy!

If you're putting a lot of weight on the roof rack, 4 mounts per side (that makes 8 total ;)) distributes the weight better and less likely to damage the seam.

I don't think there would be a problem with two tents, using 4 mounts per side, as long as the occupants weren't in them while driving!

:D:D :flush:

depends on the design of the rack. The best , I recall, was the Tradesman. It was Australian, marketed here by Kaymar. The gutter rails went full length so the weight was distributed over more than 5 feet per side. It seems like the Prinsu style side rails would be similar but I'm on the fence with the 80/20 aluminum cross bars. They seem to flex more than I like. If they bow in the center the sides have to rock inward. I'm curious if that stresses the gutters. Imagine 1000 cycles of bowing and flexing

Tradesman%20Tube%20Roof%20Rack.jpg

Hey guys, AWESOME Feedback. We went out this weekend and had a blast regardless of not putting two tents on the 60. I love the ability of these trucks and the community behind them. It's really awesome when an idea can have a good response and also helps with the future of what roof rack system I will likely go with.

Here is some photos from this weekend, Bonneville Salt Flats - Deep Creek - Pony Express
SelfPortraitSaltFlats copy.jpg

FI5A7020.jpg

FI5A7066.jpg

DJI_0099.jpg

DJI_0051.jpg

Hey guys, AWESOME Feedback. We went out this weekend and had a blast regardless of not putting two tents on the 60. I love the ability of these trucks and the community behind them. It's really awesome when an idea can have a good response and also helps with the future of what roof rack system I will likely go with.

Here is some photos from this weekend, Bonneville Salt Flats - Deep Creek - Pony Express
View attachment 1565660
View attachment 1565663
View attachment 1565661
View attachment 1565664
View attachment 1565662
What drone are you using? Love the pics

Awesome, thanks.

Hey guys, I did some research and never found a clear answer. I am wondering what the weight limit is for the gutters adding roof racks, rooftop tents, Etc.

Thanks for starting this post (7 months ago)... I'm wanting to install a Tepui RTT on my 1990 FJ62 and had reservations about mounting just ONE RTT on the roof. I have the exact cross members as yours and the RTT will be about 160 lbs on the gutters. Not including my fat butt and probably two of my kids (35/45 lbs. each). Any issues using just the two support joints on each side of the roof? I'll look for another set of horizontal bars if need be. Thanks again.

depends on the design of the rack. The best , I recall, was the Tradesman. It was Australian, marketed here by Kaymar. The gutter rails went full length so the weight was distributed over more than 5 feet per side. It seems like the Prinsu style side rails would be similar but I'm on the fence with the 80/20 aluminum cross bars. They seem to flex more than I like. If they bow in the center the sides have to rock inward. I'm curious if that stresses the gutters. Imagine 1000 cycles of bowing and flexing

Tradesman%20Tube%20Roof%20Rack.jpg
The rails on this rack aren't comparable with a rooftop tent if tent is mounted to the bed of the rack. You won't beable to open the as the upper rails on that rack don't move. INTI rack is made for RTT

Thanks for starting this post (7 months ago)... I'm wanting to install a Tepui RTT on my 1990 FJ62 and had reservations about mounting just ONE RTT on the roof. I have the exact cross members as yours and the RTT will be about 160 lbs on the gutters. Not including my fat butt and probably two of my kids (35/45 lbs. each). Any issues using just the two support joints on each side of the roof? I'll look for another set of horizontal bars if need be. Thanks again.

Are you talking about the cross bars I have in that first photo? If so, I would not suggest them with just two points per side. It held my tent, another person, and me just fine. But it's not made for that kind of weight. I would put at least three feet on each side. Especially if you are going to have kids jumping around on it. Helps for a peace of mind. Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom