Weeping Radiator Hose??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hmmmm....so this is the second chapter of 2 posts today in regards to my heater dilemma asked last week. So now that you're thoroughly confused....here it goes:

Over the weekend I removed my skid plate to expose the source of dripping coolant I've had over the last week. I ran the car on extended runs to get the temperature up and noticed after burping the radiator, that I NOW have some heat from my rear heater but only a little from the front. :)

However, when I arose to go to work the following day, "Horn Head Hombre", had a small puddle under the bumper!!! :frown:

So here's the problem: This is a new hose! I could understand if it were old like the other that's buried in the engine somewhere however this is one I replaced not that long ago.
- Do I need to get it replaced with another new one or is there something else going on???
- If there is, what could it potentially be that would cause it to be dripping out of a well cut and placed radiator hose?
- Or is it that simple??? Do I need to move the clamps to keep it from dripping???
- If so, why have I not had a problem with dripping coolant before now?

The arrows in the images indicate dripping coolant and you can see the fresh puddle on the manhole cover in the first photo - far right hand side of the plate.

Any comments or help from you experts is appreciated! You've been a wealth of info and assistance thus far and I salute you for this!!! :cheers:

James

Weeping Coolant 1.jpg

Weeping Coolant 2.jpg

Weeping Coolant 3.jpg

did you try tightening the clamp? I had a new hose and had no leak then developed one a while after, I tightened the clamp and have no leak.

Isn't the petcock in that vicinity as well? Also, it could be any number of junctions above there and that's just the low point where gravity allows it to present (Like that little bastard-waterpump bypass hose...)

"FJMoneypit"....no I haven't. GEEZ if it were that simple I'd be embarrassed!!! :eek:
I do recall torquing on that thing pretty tightly but not sooo much as to damage the rubber. I'll have to give it a go and see what happens.

"Trapper50cal"...petcock??? Do tell....
I wonder if that "waterpump bypass hose" is the one hidden and buried amongst the engine I haven't replaced. When I got the car, I bought 3 hoses from Napa: the lower hose in the photos, obviously the one on top and another I could see but couldn't quite reach.

Thanks you two!!!
James

Otherwise known as a drain plug...

and I think it's thermostat bypass hose, not water pump bypass.

It's a little bugger behind a bigger diameter one on the front of the engine.

Last edited:
Those worm drive hose clamps can be of varying quality. The crummiest of them are weak and do not maintain clamping force. Also, if the rad inlet/outlet is corroded under where the hose clamp sits, enough unevenness will prevent a good seal.
Don't overlook the coolant overflow hose and bottle. There could be a crack, or it's just spilling over from an overfill.

Here's more "weeping"

So with the new photos (see below) of MORE coolant leaks I didn't see the other day, will this make my wallet "weep" too??? :crybaby:
What am I looking at here??? Seems this thing has sprung a few leaks!!!!

JEEEZUS WEPT....pun intended!!!!

Cheers,
James

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

I'd be concentrating the search on the weep hole of the water pump and that aforementioned thermostat bypass hose....it looks like it's leaking then getting dispersed around the underside of the engine and radiator by wind and the fan.

X2 water pump

Aaaahhhh haaaaaa!!!

.....and that may make sense why my heater isn't functioning like it should!!! :bang:

Would this be a BIG $$$ fix/solution if it is indeed the water pump/thermostat??? A guesstimate as to cost????

Thanks again for your time/help everyone! :)

James

My guess is the thermostat bypass hose. I just replaced mine and it was showing similiar leaking from up above the radiator hose.

.....and that may make sense why my heater isn't functioning like it should!!! :bang:

Would this be a BIG $$$ fix/solution if it is indeed the water pump/thermostat??? A guesstimate as to cost????

Thanks again for your time/help everyone! :)

James

Toyota water pump with Toyota gasket (from CCOT) is $104 but (if you find that the water pump is the issue) you may want to replace the clutch fan as well. Because it may be a clutch fan issue that made the water pump fail....if it's the water pump. If it's the t-stat bypass hose...much cheaper but get ready to fill the curse jar and get the Neosporin ready for the knuckles...

Well....

Whats funny is every now and then when I would start it up, I'd hear this GAWD AWFUL "SCRRRREEEEEEEECH" coming from under the hood and then sometimes it goes away and other times it really doesn't. I just figured it was a loose belt somewhere even though they've been replaced June of last year.

So in the fall, I took it to a local shop and was told it needed "all sorts of work" but that they were kind enough to tighten one of the belt pulleys (???)...I told them THANX and haven't been back since!!!

NOW, I'm hearing that sound again upon firing it up. I wonder if it is indeed that fan clutch going out and thus the water pump? Any correlation you think???? Do either one of those parts make a screeching sound when they're going out?

It seems the water pump and fan clutch plus thermostat replacement plus PLENTY of de-greasing will be another chapter/page on "What did you do to your Cruiser over the weekend". :eek:

James

Don't take this the wrong way, but...

Not all the forensic work is going to be solved on the keyboard...you're going to need to get in there and take a look. Get yourself a little telescopic pen mirror. Get the truck up to temp by driving around (until you hear the clutch fan kick in) then drive it home, park it, turn it off and take a look in there and try to identify what's happening...you may even need to drain coolant and disassemble a little way to get a better view of stuff...(also known as "heading down the rabbit hole"...)

I had a leak a while ago that I solved easily. All I have for a compressor is a little Sears type for filling the tires. It has an attachment for blowing air off of surfaces etc that I inserted into the overflow hose for the overflow tank.
I turned on the compressor and let it pressurize the system, backwards so to speak. Voila! Leak started sprouting and never even had to start the truck. I'll search for the thread/pic and put it up if I can find it.
Nick

I had a leak a while ago that I solved easily. All I have for a compressor is a little Sears type for filling the tires. It has an attachment for blowing air off of surfaces etc that I inserted into the overflow hose for the overflow tank.
I turned on the compressor and let it pressurize the system, backwards so to speak. Voila! Leak started sprouting and never even had to start the truck. I'll search for the thread/pic and put it up if I can find it.
Nick

That's also a good way to find out what might be ABOUT to become a problem, by forcing it to exhibit/fail under a controlled environment.

Nick

This is pretty close to what they taught us to do in technical school.

I'll do my part

Absolutely I'll get in there and dig around PRIOR to my friend's arrival to help.....hence this post and amended post/pictures. He knows Toyota's inside and out and I just want to have some of the leg work done already or focus attention in certain areas (thanks to your posts) to make his job or my job easier. I'm all about making things as simple as possible for others who are helping me!

I wonder if I could rig up a "poorboy" compressor from a shop vac with a built in blower??? Or is this just moving air around???

With the coolant now at a minimum level if not all gone, I'll wait for my friend to come over and see what he says I should do prior to his arrival. I'd like him to hear the screeching noise on start up (watch it not make that noise when he does). Other things I can do or attempt in the meantime.

Thanks again for all the replies and narrowing my focus of where to concentrate.

James

Screeching sounds like a loose belt….
Poor man's compressor idea doesn't sound too good…the vacuum will just bog down.
You need a cheap compressor anyway just to fill tires! Good luck!

pressure test helps find sources of leaks.....they make a "tool" for this that attaches to the radiator.. IF you home-brew the test be careful about too much pressure.

Any old car truck is going to have leaks from gaskets, hoses that need to be replaced...etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom