Ways to improve gas mileage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

N

nyk438

My gas mileage has gone down latley and I was wondering what all parts I need to replace to help it? For starters I'm going to replace the air filter. Then I was thinking changing spark plugs and wires. What else is there, charcoal canister?

How low is low?

What did it used to be and what is it now?

Outside of the tune up items - have you changed tires, changed tire pressure? Are you carrying extra weight lately (no, not you, the cruiser)?

I've got a little experiment going. Removed the rear seats before raft trip last weekend. I know it's not much, weight wise, but every little bit may count. Will need to fill up tonight, so we'll see......

mine has been getting low too recently, and i was watching an episode of trucks on spike tv and they were advertising that "tornado" thing. i dont know if they really do what they claim to do. that is increase horsepower while you get better gas mileage. (that seems kind of odd but okay.) if anybody knows about or has this tornado gadget, maybe you could hear it from them. its just a suggestion. I'm just as curious as your are.

I'll just throw a gander at this one.

It's getting hotter and we have less air per fuel molicules. This inherently makes less HP, so you press the gas down harder for those of use that have to conquer hilly country or live at highway speeds.

Check tire inflation. Low air will adversely affect mileage. You have a 91 with ARB, lift, 33x12.5' on stock gears likely, so I'm guessing that you are getting 10-12 with the 3FE. I know, as I was running the same setup. You already have AT tires which tend to do better than MT's for mileage.
Properly gap the plugs. Stay away from Bosch and aftermarket, as the stock plugs will maximize power and efficiency. The engine was designed with these plugs in mind and changing to platinum/split fire/etc. has not helped improve performance/efficiency, based on the trials of many others who have tried. Installing new wires can help with the new, properly gapped plugs. Going to a lower weight oil such as 10W-30 also helps, as the engine has an easier time running with less internal fluid resistance. The lighter weight oil will however, also leak out faster if you have existing oil leaks.
The main ways to gain mileage are:
lose weight (lose the accessories)
improve rolling resistance (lose the wide tires)
smooth out air flow (lose the ARB and lights)
run a more efficient engine (lose the 3FE and put in a 350 like I did. :D)

Since you are unlikely to lose the cool accessories, correct tire pressure, ignition wires and plugs, new filters/lighter weight oil, drive the speed limit, don't stomp on the pedal/ease into it, and drive with a tail wind will help your efficiency.

One other thought - do you boys in the Lone Star State add ethanol to your gasoline formulation? That affects mpg as well.

t party said:
mine has been getting low too recently, and i was watching an episode of trucks on spike tv and they were advertising that "tornado" thing. i dont know if they really do what they claim to do. that is increase horsepower while you get better gas mileage. (that seems kind of odd but okay.) if anybody knows about or has this tornado gadget, maybe you could hear it from them. its just a suggestion. I'm just as curious as your are.

t party you should be under the hood doing something creative instead of watching spike tv. that stuff will rot your brain :flipoff2:

I'll have to check tire pressure, but I'm stock runnin BFG Long trail 31x10.5 right now. No mods yet other than lights. My air filter needs to be changed I'll start there, I just put some prestone fuel injector cleaner in the tank hopefully that'll help. I drove around 80 miles today and I was at a little over half now I"m a little over a quarter :eek:

Brentbba is probably right. I know our summer blend is different that the rest of the year. I don't know exactly what they add, but the blend is different. I fought that one on my '85 FJ60.

And yes, the motor makes less power with the hotter ambient temps.

Do definitely check all the other stuff, but you are indeed fighting the previous factors.

Keep the Cruiser Faith

What did the gauge do before? mine goes something like this full-3/4 110-120 miles, 3/4-1/2 50-80 miles depending on how I am driving. Below the 1/2 mark I have a hole and it just runs out 80-100 miles till the light comes on.

:doh: if I just keep running between full and half am I getting better MPG's?

super90 said:
Brentbba is probably right. I know our summer blend is different that the rest of the year. I don't know exactly what they add, but the blend is different. I fought that one on my '85 FJ60.

And yes, the motor makes less power with the hotter ambient temps.

Do definitely check all the other stuff, but you are indeed fighting the previous factors.

Keep the Cruiser Faith

How is the air density (humidity+temp) where you are? I find that where I am (So. AZ), I get my best mileage during the summer. The fuels contain ethanol some time of the year, or mtbe (but one of them). Even after the change-over months, economy is similar. It's not until the temps ramp into the 90's or 100's that economy improves 10% or so. My theory is with the thinner air, the EFI will attempt to lean the mixture (less fuel) and/or the warmup time is less, meaning the engine reaches proper operating temperture quicker (I drive 17-23 miles each way to work, mostly at 35-55mph w/ lights maybe every 1-2 miles for half the drive, mostly flat). The last contributing factor might be that since temps are higher, tire pressure is higher despite the high pressure weather system. My tire pressure is 3-4 lbs higher when cold now (temps around 100-110F) than when temps were in the 70's. I haven't inflated them in months, either.

nyk438 said:
I'll have to check tire pressure, but I'm stock runnin BFG Long trail 31x10.5 right now. No mods yet other than lights. My air filter needs to be changed I'll start there, I just put some prestone fuel injector cleaner in the tank hopefully that'll help. I drove around 80 miles today and I was at a little over half now I"m a little over a quarter :eek:
Get the Redline "Total fuel system cleaner" (red) at PepBoy's - it works better than the prestone stuff. The summer heat just hit this week in Texas - I'm sure the A/C and high 90s temp have something to do with your milage as well. Check the tires, air cleaner, and maybe replace the plugs and wires. That's about all you can do ... mine gets 13 mpg no matter what I do :frown: Of course that's got more to do w/ MTRs than anything -

Tucker

Instead of the turbonator, and all of those other gimmick products, you CAN buy a product that WILL nearly double your mileage...

It's called a turbodiesel motor. Any brand will do.

Miracle product. Go get one. I'm saving up for mine.
:flipoff2:

tucker74 said:
There's usually a Lab head sticking out of my rear sliders - slobbering in the wind to lube the exterior. That's gotta gain me something right :D

Tucker

That's a great visual. I to have streak marks down the side of my truck that catch the dust. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom