water pump while im in there any ideas 3fe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My water pump finally locked up. Gotta get into him this weekend. What else should I do while im there

Did the fan clutch and hoses are oem 2 years old belt are a good one and got the thermostat ordered up anything else????

Don't forget the paper gasket for the water pump and the paper gasket for the thermostat housing and thermostat oring.

Water pump on a 3FE is a PITA. You'll be removing the majority of parts on the front of the motor. If the idler roller bearings are done, now would be a good time to get replacements as they are going to have to be removed anyway. Make sure you do the 3 piece lower radiator hoses and all the smaller bypass hoses while you're in there.
Be sure to use an OEM pump (Aisin WPT-029). This is not a job you want to repeat anytime soon.

Below is a snip from my water pump removal and installation thread that I posted on the 3FE Yahoo list years ago. There are no pictures but this should help a bit.

"What a PITA ordeal for a 3FE motor. Below is a list of items that need to be
removed in order. I'm assuming you drained the coolant first.

Steering damper mount (let it dangle from the relay rod), belly pan,
battery, battery tray, right side wheel well skirts, carb cooling fan
plenum, smog pump hoses, smog pump (York), alternator adjuster, upper
radiator hose, fan, fan shroud, belts, PS idler pulley bracket, AC idler
pulley bracket, 3 piece lower radiator hose, and all 3 studs that secure the
water pump to the block need to be removed. Then you can pull and replace
the water pump.

Add several hours for cleaning parts, soaking 16 year old bolts in
penetrating oil, running cleaned bolts through bolt holes with moly grease,
and...well you get the picture. Not a trailside repair."

Last edited:
I'm collecting parts for this job - how'd it go?

Follow Jon's guide above and that will help. It is a bear but doable I think it took me about 5 hours start to finish or at least to adding the antifreeze and letting burp for another hour. Mine is a southern truck so no rust and I just did the head gasket about a year and a half ago so most things came apart easy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom