Lack of water pump failures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
So for the last 15 years of working on 1fz's I've yet to come across one that needed a water pump. The only time I've replaced one was when the customer requested it or there was so much rust and crap in the oil cooler I just did it just to make sure it wouldn't fail but that is maybe 2 or 3 out of 300 or more 1fz's that we have had in the shop for head gaskets or cooling services. I just don't see them fail. Now I know there are probably dozens of examples here on MUD of them failing but it's super rare. My question is why? I've seen plenty of 40, 60, 70, 100, 120 and 200 series with mostly failed seals where coolant is coming out the weep hole. What makes the 1fz water pump so much better?

IDK why they last so long, replaced an original WP at close to 300,000 miles while replacing the oil pump cover gasket; that WP had the slightest amount of axial play and squeaked when turned by hand, or so I thought. After I replaced it I went back and rechecked the used pump and it seemed good. Ditto, replaced a different 80's WP at 250,000 miles just because I was in there, it was the original still working, not leaking.

Is the shaft shorter in the 1FZFE WP compared to the others, less off-axis stress on the shaft bearings??

Maybe someone could cut one of the WP's apart (or pull/press the shaft bearings/seal out) to compare components?

Either way, seems like AISIN perfected the design (heavier duty bearings and seals?) for the FZJ80 (1FZFE) WP.

I replaced my original at 260k. Only did it because I was refreshing most of the cooling system as it was. New one is quieter, but I don't think I'll have to replace it for another 30 years if all goes well. The pump that came off did have a bit of play in it, but was not leaking at all. I've had VW/Audi water pumps with FAR less play leak as well as my FJ40

I am assuming the original on mine was replaced when the PO has the HG replaced at 145K.

I now have 349K and no issues, so at least 204K on this pump alone.

I had mine finally go at 270,000. The main bushing was shot and the entire fan shaft was wobbling, but it wasn't leaking. I don't know how it was still holding water but it didn't leak a drop. Amazing design.

my original WP failed at just over 500,000km's. Was fine the day before and in the morning went to start and heard this strange sound which was the bearing. Upon removing it the impeller was shiny new, just the bearing failed.......

Is this impacting your bottom line?
lol no. Just curious as too why it last's so much longer than the other pumps. My personal 80's I own both have the originals and both have around 400k on them.

lol no. Just curious as too why it last's so much longer than the other pumps. My personal 80's I own both have the originals and both have around 400k on them.
wait a minute....i thought the whole approach with 80s was to replace working parts 'while you're in there just in case"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom