WATER CONDENSATION AND WHITE SLIME (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few months ago I THOUGHT that I was loosing coolant and I had water condensation and a white slime build up on the underside of my oil fill cap. I figured a leaking head gasket or cracked head. I pulled the head and had the machine shop take it all apart, cook it out, magnaflux (they found no cracks) , cut smooth, clean all the valves and put back together with all new seals (I also cleaned the top of the pistons) . I put the head back on with a good Fel-Pro gasket and torqued all the bolts to 95ft pounds in the correct order. Put every thing else back together and it fired right up. Adjusted the valves and off I went. It probably runs better now then it ever has (very strong, no hesitation, no backfires and no smoke) . But I am still getting water condensation and white slime on the underside of my oil fill cap. I am confident the head is sealed perfect but where else may i be getting coolant OR WATER in my oil? At least that's what I'm guessing is causing the water condensation and slime. What is the possibility I may have a internally cracked block in the water jacket that is allowing coolant to get into the oil? Or would I have other symptoms if the block was cracked? I also heard that this may be caused by a bad PCV valve? But I replaced it a little while ago and I believe it is working fine This is a 74 FJ-40 with the F engine. thanks for any possible ideas!!!!!

Eric

I do drive it infrequently (1-2 times a month) but when I take it out I usually have it out for a while so it gets good and warm. maybe this still is not sufficient? It is cold here in PA. As far as I can tell the oil looks fine but I have been changing it every 1000 miles as I am afraid if water is getting into my oil it will start causing a lot of problems, so I have been changing oil frequently so it does not get diluted if their is a leak. maybe I should let it go for a while before I change it again to see if I can see any problems with it?

Eric

I had the same thing going on in my 75 rebuilt the engine and still did it talked to alot of people who all have said its normal as long as your not smokin or stuff like that and where in pa are you from ??I live in Allentown

Coolant will toast your bearings in a hurry. No doubt, but the oil will turn chocolate-milky if it's getting in there. If it's mostly burning off the exhaust will smell bad like sweet anti-freeze and there will be a lot of steam. Do you have any build up on the plugs yet? water in the combustion chamber will blow off build up and you might have a very clean plug on one.

You might try an oil analysis.
Many auto parts stores sell the kits. Draw a sample, send it in to the lab, get results.
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom