Water based Waterproofing for Canvas - Dynaproofing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

piecemeal

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a Hannibal RTT that is in need of re-"dynaproofing". It is only available in Australia and New Zealand as far as I can gather and I CANNOT find any company that will ship some to the US which seems odd bc it's non-flammable and water based.

Dynaproofing-canvas-reproofing-compound-22Litres.jpg

So, does anyone or any company anyone knows of in the US or Canada

1. Sell this stuff?
2. Ship this stuff?
3. Have any extra laying around they can ship me? (I'll compensate you handsomely if you have some that you could spare)

OR

Offer me a suitable non-petroleum based alternative that won't react with the remaining dynaproofing remaining on the tent?

I tried the US Hannibal RTT distributor and they said they'd look into it and I haven't heard a peep for months.

Please HELP!!

:eek::zilla:

Last edited:
Find out who is the dealer for EaziAwn Stealth roof tent.
These guys sell Hannibal tents they should be able to get you what you need as they are a dealer

So, I found out from the Equipt-1 guy, Hannibal is defunct (I didn't know) as is Howling Moon (also didn't know).

Anyone else know of a tent manufacturer that uses the woven waterproof impregnated cotton canvas in their manufacturing process and what they use to "re-waterproof" their tents if they lose their waterproof-ness that won't negatively effect any left over waterproofing left on the tent??

Watching this. Need some for our Kimberley Kamper.

Boiled linseed oil and a thinner are what I going to use on my Baker Tent design with old Olive Drab cotton canvas. It's definitely not water based and not sure what it would do to a water based application that is failing.

Try contacting a local company that still makes commercial/residential canvas awnings. Most companies purchase their canvas pre-treated and act like its a sin to ask them the formula. I have tried locally since toluene exposure concerns me (off gas of petroleum) and met with no joy.

Are you sure it's water based? I just re-waterproofed my canvas tent, and after some researching it seemed there were only 2 different type of canvas treatments, silicone and fluorocarbon. As long as you kept to the same type as the factory coating, I don't think the exact brand mattered. At least for the silicone treatments, all brands were pretty much the same thing with different labels

Directly from the website

DYNAPROOF/Waterproofing
DESCRIPTION
Dynaproof is a superior water based formulation which does not have an offensive vapour odour as present in the alternative brands currently available. Dynaproof will help to increase the life of canvas by restoring weather proofness and resistance to mildew. The DynaproofedTM finishing formulation utilises the world’s highest quality chemicals and incorporates Rot-Proofing, Mildew resistance, UV Resistance, Pigment Colours, Water-Proofing agents and 2 Acrylic binders in the processing formulation. The 2 acrylic binders offer maximum UV resistance and colour stability in terms of light fastness (maximum of 7), and also combine to resist both air-born and wet- soil bacterial and fungicidal activity.
Application
The Dynaproof formulation is designed to penetrate into the interstices of the canvas to be restored rather than sit on the surface. By doing so, on sound cloth, it restores the waterproof factor back to its original specification.
Dynaproof can be applied to any Cotton or blended Cotton Canvas product commonly used in tents and on Caravan awning roofing.
Dynaproof is not recommended for application on Acrylic or 100% synthetic Canvas.
The fabric should be thoroughly dry and brushed free of dust and dirt. Once this has been conducted, the fabric should be laid flat on the ground and then the reproof formulation applied.
This may be applied by any one of the following methods: Sponge, Roller, Brush or Spray Gun.

Are you sure it's water based? I just re-waterproofed my canvas tent, and after some researching it seemed there were only 2 different type of canvas treatments, silicone and fluorocarbon. As long as you kept to the same type as the factory coating, I don't think the exact brand mattered. At least for the silicone treatments, all brands were pretty much the same thing with different labels

The fact that it says it’s water based freaks me out to add anything else to the mix. If I absolutely can’t get ahold of this stuff, I think I’d be safe with silicone, but I’m trying to exhaust all my options before I go with another option

So, I found out from the Equipt-1 guy, Hannibal is defunct (I didn't know) as is Howling Moon (also didn't know).

Not sure if it helps but both Hannibal's and Howling Moon's websites are functional (Aus).

Not sure why the forum software is pulling that link as Facebook. Clearly the url is not fb

Yeah, I know they both appear to be up. Multiple email inquiries on the Hannibal website have yielded zero response.

Have you tried this link for support? If you don’t have luck let me know. Ive got a way to get through to
Australia pretty quick

Going to have to wait until Monday in Australia.

I've used Star-Brite . Made in U.S.A. , solvent free, waterproofing, UV and stain protection, does not affect feel or breathability. Mainly used in the marine industry so any good marine shop will likely have it. Also on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom