Washer fluid frozen (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A couple of weeks ago, when the temps were down in the teens, I had the fluid freeze up on me. I could hear the motor, so it wasn't that. I also had a fresh bottle of -35 degree washer fluid in there (RainX or Prestone, can't remember). Made sure to circulate to get it in the lines. Still froze up. I'm thinking it's freezing at the lines or the nozzle. Maybe I should put some insulation around the lines?

I looked at some of the older threads and there was really no solution other than flush and refill.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/442786-windshield-washer.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/439335-wiper-fluid-pump-frozen-solutions.html

Sometimes I will add a bottle of rubbing alachol to the mix. It will not freeze up and the windsheild dries quick without fogging up.

The only down side is it dries out the rubber faster...so I only do it during the winter.

Strange, I've had my rig in some pretty severe cold weather (-20F) here in Colorado and never noticed the wiper fluid freezing (I normally try and run the orange RainX stuff). Did it damage any of the tubing? I'm wondering if it wasn't precip or road spray freezing in or on the nozzles (which I've had happen) rather than the actual fluid freezing.

I purchased my truck with what I believe was summer fluid (32F) in it. Driving over Vail pass on the way home the fluid in the hoses froze. It was slushy and quickly turned into a dangerous situation as I couldn't see much of anything. It was bitter cold (at or below 0F IIRC). I stopped at a gas station and let the truck run for 30-45min. the heat in the engine bay thawed the hoses, I added a gallon of true winter fluid, ran a bit through the hoses and went on my way.

I'm pretty sure the freezing was at or near the nozzle.

All of the tubing looks to be ok. I'm not sure exactly where its freezing up. Next time, I will have to give the tubes a squeeze test to see if its the lines.

So if it's near the nozzle, I'm guessing nothing can really be done, except maybe just dumping a bottle of alcohol in like snobdds said.

I bought my car on eBay, had it shipped from Houston TX. First cold day, washer fluid froze. Stuff in the reservoir was slushy. I was surprised how long it took to get the "Texas washer fluid" fully flushed out so the stuff wouldn't freeze. Took at least a gallon, probably more. Had to park the car in a warm shop, then I was able to siphon most of the old stuff out of the reservoir. Even blew air thru the lines. Next day the lines were frozen again, even though the reservoir was fine.

Keep flushing.

Thanks, KLF. So no troubles after a few flushes? I know it gets wicked cold up in NH as well.

A couple of weeks ago, when the temps were down in the teens, I had the fluid freeze up on me. I could hear the motor, so it wasn't that. I also had a fresh bottle of -35 degree washer fluid in there (RainX or Prestone, can't remember). Made sure to circulate to get it in the lines. Still froze up. I'm thinking it's freezing at the lines or the nozzle. Maybe I should put some insulation around the lines?

I looked at some of the older threads and there was really no solution other than flush and refill.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/442786-windshield-washer.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/439335-wiper-fluid-pump-frozen-solutions.html

Move!!! I did, warm weather will cure your problem.

I've had similar issues in Colorado, front wipers where fine but the rear was clogged. Even had the -20 orange stuff in. Might have been a clogged head, I never checked. There is a lot of tubing to get to the rear, so it seems like there's a good chance for it to have problems.

I know this is an old thread but just thought I might be able to help someone out.

Was having trouble keeping the nozzles thawed in the cold snap we had in MN last month, even with some rubbing alcohol in the tank. Each nozzle sprays three streams and they would gradually each freeze up. I decided to try some stuff I found at a hardware store that was washer fluid with De-icer & RainX. I've been running it in just as cold of weather (-15) and it hasn't frozen up at all. Was about $5 for a gallon.

The only concern I would have with alcohol is that will strip the wax from your truck I believe, although the de-icer rainX product may do the same. Kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Lots of salt on the roads here in Wisconsin so if the fluid freezes you cannot see much though the windshield with all the residue.

You learn something new everyday. I never knew it got that cold in the US, Alaska maybe. That is some extreme weather, well for me anyway and I thought it got cold here in the UK.haha. OH Did I tell you it is raining, that is our main weather, Winter rain, Summer rain, Autumn rain, Spring rain.

Some of the fluids sold simply don't meet the spec stated on jug, says 20 below but isn't. Saves the vendor money by selling cheap crap.
You will just have to get all the old stuff out and quality new in.

I run de-icer washer solvent all year, keep the resevoir full and buy it in bulk when it goes on clearence in the spring.
Prestone De-Icer is my first choice, then Purple Power, there was a store branded green winter washer solvent that has been discontinued and that stuff was the sh!t!!
But the trick is you need to use it all year so it stays in the system, otherwise you're just diluting the cheap blue koolaid stuff once winter hits and you are screwed.

I'm running the Orange RainX 2in1 all season stuff, did fine 2K miles from OK to cold MI and back last week, I was a bit worried due to how exposed the tank is now with my 4x4Labs bumper on the front, but had zero issues with fluid freezing or slowing the pump down. Probably saw -15 on hwy Friday morning, did fine all the way home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom