Washer Bottle Relocate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Matt, more options are always welcome.

ok ,

so i recall clearly he utilized the KIT Included FLAT stand alone powder coated bracket that has pre-punched factory holes one round one oval , and used a existing bolt on the LH Passenger side facing location of the P/S fluid reservoir bracket in GREEN INK ,

red ink shows the bolts location and facing direction .......fyi

i would need a better photo of that angel to show you what one , it was a drill-less upgrade mod as he did it with a simple 10mm or 12mm hex socket hand tool and it made my kit a direct bolt on type procedure , ..........

1667357841750.jpeg

The factory holes are meant for a 6mm / 10mm hex tool OEM fastener

CE3280A9-B9D3-4A14-BE68-5EF669C641DF.jpeg
00DF6C68-2CC6-43E0-9065-E04B1D63FB37.jpeg
3BFCD1DE-F9BB-424E-8174-B332CF855FC5.jpeg
98E999B2-B9CA-4B37-88C2-059D5419C7E7.jpeg
CB290969-298D-4D7B-8614-CE141E95EF4B.jpeg

ok ,

so i recall clearly he utilized the KIT Included FLAT stand alone powder coated bracket that has pre-punched factory holes one round one oval , and used a existing bolt on the LH Passenger side facing location of the P/S fluid reservoir bracket in GREEN INK ,

red ink shows the bolts location and facing direction .......fyi

i would need a better photo of that angel to show you what one , it was a drill-less upgrade mod as he did it with a simple 10mm or 12mm hex socket hand tool and it made my kit a direct bolt on type procedure , ..........

View attachment 3156799

The factory holes are meant for a 6mm / 10mm hex tool OEM fastener
Just so you know, that pic is from an FJ Cruiser. In fact, it is my pic from my old 2010 FJC. The GX probably has the same bolts though, But, on my 2018 GX there is an emissions air pump where that washer reservoir is in the picture.

I took off the front engine bay shroud today, and there may not be room for the Expedition One washer bottle relocation kit. At least on my 2018, there is an emissions air pump in that corner.

I’m checking with them to see if they knew about it or how they deal with it.

[edit] Expedition One says there is an air pump relocation kit that comes with the overall kit. So I may have rung the alarm bell for nothing.

9935BDD2-0134-4BBB-96A0-48D9064B39AF.jpeg

Last edited:
Just so you know, that pic is from an FJ Cruiser. In fact, it is my pic from my old 2010 FJC. The GX probably has the same bolts though, But, on my 2018 GX there is an emissions air pump where that washer reservoir is in the picture.

what about the power steering fluid container bracket i highlight in green ink ?

what about the power steering fluid container bracket i highlight in green ink ?
Some of it is obscured by a hose, but I think I see the same bracket under the mud in my pic above.

Some of it is obscured by a hose, but I think I see the same bracket under the mud in my pic above.

i guess maybe some accurate dimensions of my Genuine NipponDenso Bottle kit Resoviour would be handy ?

i never thought of that till now 🤔

i guess maybe some accurate dimensions of my Genuine NipponDenso Bottle kit Resoviour would be handy ?

i never thought of that till now 🤔
Might be useful for people trying to figure things out.

One other thing to consider is that the upper two trim levels of the GX have 3 washer pumps, the third being for headlight washers. Although if this is difficult to accommodate, I for one would not miss headlight washers all that much.

And, a way to relocate the emissions air pump may be needed, as well, if the front corner location is used. Possibly the bottle could be located elsewhere by extending wiring and piping.

Might be useful for people trying to figure things out.

One other thing to consider is that the upper two trim levels of the GX have 3 washer pumps, the third being for headlight washers. Although if this is difficult to accommodate, I for one would not miss headlight washers all that much.

And, a way to relocate the emissions air pump may be needed, as well, if the front corner location is used. Possibly the bottle could be located elsewhere by extending wiring and piping.

I have another genuine NipponDenso bottle , that actually has

Dual Pump ports ..

On top of that ..

It’s had provisions and a Knock-Out of sorts to mount a 3rd. Pump if you wanted to

It’s fairy compact considering it’s a dual and optionally a 3 pumps
1 stop 🛑 all things washer fluids shop !

In all reality it’s simply twice the size of my bottle kit resoviour I posted pics above …

Imagine if this. UNICORN 🦄 could meet your community’s needs ?

Reactions: r2m

Dual Pump ports ..

On top of that ..

It’s had provisions and a Knock-Out of sorts to mount a 3rd. Pump if you wanted to

In all reality it’s simply twice the size of my bottle kit resoviour I posted pics above …

Interesting. All GXs have at least two pumps. For that matter, FJs have two pumps too.

So all that would remain is a way to deal with that air pump. I'd be interested to see how Expedition One handles it.

Dual Pump ports ..

On top of that ..

Do they have the dual pump port bottle without the pumps? Most people just want a bracket and bottle, and reuse the OEM pumps.

Do they have the dual pump port bottle without the pumps? Most people just want a bracket and bottle, and reuse the OEM pumps.

YES ,

actually i should mentioned that key point , good call sir ....

the 2 pump ports bottle i have going on IS NOT a total plug and play kit for , rather a bottle w/ a cap and the 2 washer PUMP black rubber grommetts ire included from

DENSO .....

asmo 1.jpg

So the Expedition One kit is pretty solid but it does have its issues, starting with the instructions suck. They sent me a photocopied black and white, hard to make out the pictures deal that glosses over a lot. For example, "Step 1: Remove the old washer bottle" oh...kay... but I eventually figured it out. Took me a day and a half, despite the fact that these instructions go back and forth between FJ, 4runner and GX and you have to guess which contradictory paragraph/close up blurry image applies to your vehicle.

It relocates the SMOG pump to the front, outside the engine bay next to the front right headlight. The brackets they give you are great and make this kit worth the money in my opinion.

They give you a length of hose and a male to male coupler to make it work but honestly it didn't get it done. You have to thread the hose through and around some sheet metal and avoid the power steering fluid and some hard lines off the radiator. The combination of the OEM hose and the straight extension provided in the kit resulted in some kinking that was unacceptable to me. I went to O'riley's and picked a pre-bent replacement hose. I'm not sure what vehicle it actually belongs on but it had an acute bend in it which was just what I needed to clear everything.
One you get the SMOG pump relocated, the replacement washer bottle is a REALLY tight fit. You either have to insert the 3 pumps and low level indicator, plug in their harnesses and then try to squeeze it in and hope for the best as routing all the wires and tubing, or route/place all that stuff first and then try to insert the pumpsafter putting the bottle in place. Neither option is great, but I recomend removing the passenger headlight to give yourselves more room to reach everything. I finally resorted to this and it would have been nice for the instructions to mention it.

You are also going to want to keep track of which pump is which so you get the right harness plugged back in. I used colored tape to match tubes and harnesses with each pump. I also shortened the tubing because there just isn't any room for excess. I routed them under the bottom bracket.

There is also a large relay that has a nice home built into the OEM bottle. Expedition One's kit make no accomodation for this. So you have to figure out where to stash that as well so it doesn't rattle around.

Here are some pics.

IMG_3178D.JPG

IMG_3180D.JPG

IMG_3181D.JPG

IMG_3182D.JPG

IMG_3183D.JPG

So the Expedition One kit is pretty solid but it does have its issues, starting with the instructions suck. They sent me a photocopied black and white, hard to make out the pictures deal that glosses over a lot. For example, "Step 1: Remove the old washer bottle" oh...kay... but I eventually figured it out. Took me a day and a half, despite the fact that these instructions go back and forth between FJ, 4runner and GX and you have to guess which contradictory paragraph/close up blurry image applies to your vehicle.

It relocates the SMOG pump to the front, outside the engine bay next to the front right headlight. The brackets they give you are great and make this kit worth the money in my opinion.

They give you a length of hose and a male to male coupler to make it work but honestly it didn't get it done. You have to thread the hose through and around some sheet metal and avoid the power steering fluid and some hard lines off the radiator. The combination of the OEM hose and the straight extension provided in the kit resulted in some kinking that was unacceptable to me. I went to O'riley's and picked a pre-bent replacement hose. I'm not sure what vehicle it actually belongs on but it had an acute bend in it which was just what I needed to clear everything.
One you get the SMOG pump relocated, the replacement washer bottle is a REALLY tight fit. You either have to insert the 3 pumps and low level indicator, plug in their harnesses and then try to squeeze it in and hope for the best as routing all the wires and tubing, or route/place all that stuff first and then try to insert the pumpsafter putting the bottle in place. Neither option is great, but I recomend removing the passenger headlight to give yourselves more room to reach everything. I finally resorted to this and it would have been nice for the instructions to mention it.

You are also going to want to keep track of which pump is which so you get the right harness plugged back in. I used colored tape to match tubes and harnesses with each pump. I also shortened the tubing because there just isn't any room for excess. I routed them under the bottom bracket.

There is also a large relay that has a nice home built into the OEM bottle. Expedition One's kit make no accomodation for this. So you have to figure out where to stash that as well so it doesn't rattle around.

Here are some pics.

View attachment 3164346

View attachment 3164347

View attachment 3164348

View attachment 3164349

View attachment 3164350
I know it's kind of "after the fact" mention, but could be used for next time, different project.
You can go to the Manuals sticky post (GX 460 Manuals) on the forum's main page and find how to do the un-do or remove sections in there. It'll show where all the fasteners are and how whatever you're working on is mounted.

I did the air pump relocate today; I'll do the rest tomorrow. I will say this pic saved me some head scratching as to how that bracket mounted.

And yeah, those instructions need some serious added notes as to which vehicle they are talking about.

For similar money and far better design I'd go with the Snowbound.

Why are both the expedition one and snowbound options for 14+. What’s the difference from the pre facelift years.

Why are both the expedition one and snowbound options for 14+. What’s the difference from the pre facelift years.
Dunno. Does the 10-13 bottle hang low like 14+?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom