1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

warped rear rotors

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by tenncrusher, Oct 2, 2003.

1. tenncrusher

tenncrusher

My rear rotors are warped. Is there any chance that I can get them turned to get rid of the warpage or is it time to talk to Dan about some new ones?

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    I prefer that you get new ones :rolleyes:

What do they measure? Standard thickness is 18.0 mm, minimum is 16.0 mm.

D-

3. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

If your rears are warped then checkout your e-brabe system for sticking. That's what did mine in.

4. ELLTEE

ELLTEE

I posted this URL on another thread on brakes recently.

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm

While it is possible to warp a piece of cast iron, it is not easy to accomplish. this white paper on the stoptech site shows that there are other faults that might cause the tremolo you feel in the brakes.
    :cheers:

LT
    8)

5. anderaa13

anderaa13

I had my rear rotors turned when they were warped. They were straight for a couple of weeks, then the warpage returned. Just replaced them last weekend. I think the warpage may have been caused by the parking brake not releasing fully.
    aaron

6. alia176

alia176

Albums:
    Haven't rec'd my FSM yet, hence the easy questons. Is the parking brake drum attached to the rear disc? So it's basically a tradition parking brake arrangement attached to a normal disc brake system? My subarus are this way.

Thanks.

:cheers:

7. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Yes, internal expanding drum parking brake and external solid disc brake service brake.

8. NW-sickboy

NW-sickboy

my ebrake has been sticking a bit as of late. what goes into that fix (as i highjack this thread!)

9. tenncrusher

tenncrusher

I definitely need to check out the parking brake when I swap the rotors. In response to Dan, I need to check the tolerances. I have a set of pads, complements of Dan, but did not change them when I had the fronts done.

Are the rears easy on full floater or is dismantling of the hub involved?

Tenncrusher

10. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

The rear rotors are held on by lug nut pressure alone - no hub dismantling. Remove the wheels, and with a little jiggling the rear rotors and integrated rear drums come off in about a minute. For persuasion, there's the threaded hole in the drum to push them off while tapping with a hammer every thread turn.

I did the rears in about 2 hours including putting the tools away. Fronts obviously require wheel bearings.

Get familiar with the parking brake via the FSM if you're planning to adjust them as it's said to be tricky. Mine were a piece of cake, so I must have gotten lucky when I adjusted mine. The brake shoes were almost new looking.

IdahoDoug