Warning lights trac off, 4low,check engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com
We were driving and the Trac Off , 4Lo and check engine lights all came on at once. I checked with my Torque app and just get a generic code for an emission control failure.

Fortunately we were 20 minuted from Webb Toyota dealer in Farmington NM. Although they were busy , Antony in the service dept said he would check out what was wrong and check we could be able to drive home safety.

After about 45 minutes, Antony told us were good to go home and there were two issues. The brake actuator was depleted and the second issue was the gas tank purge was not working correctly.

He suggested perhaps heavy braking with the trailer could have caused the brake actuator to throw a code. The braking felt fine .

He also suggested having the fuel filler neck checked since I have a long range tank. The filler looked kinked to him.

I was great to be back on the road in such short time and with peace of mind. Kudos to Antony of Webb Toyota.

Anyone have any experience with either one of these issues?

warning lights.jpg

Sounds like a loose gas cap to me... just sayin'.

HTH

Sounds like a loose gas cap to me... just sayin'.

HTH
Nope I checked it.
but I know when I close the cap I always make sure it clicks

Check the alleged kinked filler, but take the above suggestions from @gaijin and @HGB and replace that bad cap gasket :cheers:

Reactions: HGB
Do you happen to have the codes. I've seen (and have experienced) one of the two series of codes:
* P0441 and P0445 in some cases - typically related to boiling gas from significant altitude changes (others have reported extreme heat as a factor as well)
* P043E + P043F + P2401 + P2402 + P2419 - seems to also be related to boiling gas but when there's enough emissions weirdness that the charcoal canister gets flooded. If this happens the only path forward is to get comfortable clearing the codes until they magically disappear or you replace the charcoal canister.

Both sets of codes could also arise from dramatically over-filling the tank, I think. Folks have had issues with and without an aux tank.

Do you happen to have the codes. I've seen (and have experienced) one of the two series of codes:
* P0441 and P0445 in some cases - typically related to boiling gas from significant altitude changes (others have reported extreme heat as a factor as well)
* P043E + P043F + P2401 + P2402 + P2419 - seems to also be related to boiling gas but when there's enough emissions weirdness that the charcoal canister gets flooded. If this happens the only path forward is to get comfortable clearing the codes until they magically disappear or you replace the charcoal canister.

Both sets of codes could also arise from dramatically over-filling the tank, I think. Folks have had issues with and without an aux tank.

These were the codes the dealer recorded. I might have fueled past the click on the pump. I'll get a new cap. Cheep insurance.

Codes_0003.jpg

I had this happen again upon starting my truck on another trip. The truck seemed to run OK so I took a picture of the fault codes and cleared the lights.
When I got home 13 miles later, I took the truck to the dealer. One of the codes was the gas cap but it was tight.

Later the day , the dealer called and said the issue was the charcoal canister. It had to be replaced. Thankfully I had an extended warranty which covered the part and labor.

Hopefully that solves the issue.

IMG_20200913_105637668.jpg

I had this happen again upon starting my truck on another trip. The truck seemed to run OK so I took a picture of the fault codes and cleared the lights.
When I got home 13 miles later, I took the truck to the dealer. One of the codes was the gas cap but it was tight.

Later the day , the dealer called and said the issue was the charcoal canister. It had to be replaced. Thankfully I had an extended warranty which covered the part and labor.

View attachment 2447861

If you can, Please post back and let us know if that solves the issue?

Thanks

If you can, Please post back and let us know if that solves the issue?

Thanks

I took the truck to the dealer. One of the codes was the gas cap but it was tight.

MEP1811,

Has your issue come back after the charcoal canister replacement/?

Just so happened I got it on my current trip. The diagnosis was a new charcoal canister. The new one is under warranty. The faults were cleared and I'm not to worry it about anymore. If I get it again I'll just clear the lights,

Just so happened I got it on my current trip. The diagnosis was a new charcoal canister. The new one is under warranty. The faults were cleared and I'm not to worry it about anymore. If I get it again I'll just clear the lights,
Timely thread resurrection. I've had the same issue on my 2009 LC over the past few months (158K miles on it). My mechanic also replaced the charcoal canister after smoke testing the system and finding no other evap leaks (and after replacing the gas cap). This morning I got the lights again, took it to him to read the code. Evap leak again, apparently it just tripped the code once. Reset the code and going to see how it goes.

At this point I'm getting more convinced there could be some electrical weirdness going on, the lights have only gone on after periods of wet weather. Probably paranoia from reading other threads on here....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom