Warn ZEON 12 Maintenance | DIY (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Planetary Gear Set Reassembly (cont)

Replace the intermediate ring gear seat clip
IMG_4386.JPEG

Place the composite spacer in
IMG_4387.JPEG

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Now the final gear set can be installed, this is where I made a goof. As you see in the first photo below the inner circle opening of the outer most face of the planetary gear set is smooth, this is the INCORRECT ORIENTATION. The side that has splines on it needs to be facing out. If you make this mistake like I did you'll figure it out when you try to reassemble the gear set on the drum and it won't seat all the way.
IMG_4388.JPEG
IMG_4395.JPEG

Planetary Gear Set Reassembly (cont)

Make sure the drum seal spring has been returned to its seat (if you removed it for cleaning), then install the composite spacer. It's keyed so it goes in oneway only.
IMG_4389.JPEG

Pack the seal with a water-repelling grease. Marine Grade Grease is great here as it's thicker and remains thicker longer than molly grease. I didn't have any on hand so I used Red Tacky wheel bearing grease, its an acceptable in between.
IMG_4390.JPEG

Motor Testing

I hate doing things twice, so I tested my winch in the bumper. All you need to do is quickly attach the solenoid, power and ground cables then test it. Mine spun up just fine so we can move onto the next step, Final Reassembly.
IMG_4392.jpeg

Final Reassembly

Put everything on a bench and layout the parts for reassembly. Place the drum sprocket on the drive spindle.
IMG_4391.JPEG

Insert and wiggle into the gear set until it seats fully
IMG_4393.JPEG

apply a small mount of hydrophobic grease to the motor splines and slide on the drive collar. Repack the motor drum seal if you havent already.
IMG_4394.JPEG

Put the bridge on
IMG_4396.JPEG

Replace the solenoid housing and spool in your cable. Thats it!
IMG_4398.JPEG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom