Warn XD9000 problems, and its brand new! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just installed a brand new XD9000 and ran the solenoid box up into the battery box area on my 80.

The problem Im having is the winch will start to spool line in, but then all of a sudden it will stop, and start powering line out (while im holding the button down to pull line in.)

Once the winch starts to load up, the darn thing decides to reverse itself and spit line out. Then, once I press the "in" switch again, it pulls in for a split second, reverses, and starts to spool out again.

Ive checked the wiring with every diagram and picture I can find on the net, but still cant figure it out...

Since I lengthened the cables myself, I voided my warranty and cant send it back to be looked at, so now Im SOL and stuck trying to figure this crap out on my own.

Any ideas?

It has to be an electrical problem with the hand control or the solenoids, so the cable doesn't have anything to do with it. Call them. They will take care of it.

It has to be an electrical problem with the hand control or the solenoids, so the cable doesn't have anything to do with it. Call them. They will take care of it.

X2!

I'm not an electrical engineer, but when the amps go up under load and the polarity reverses, that leads me to think you have an intermittent short with just enough resistance to operate normally while the amp draw is low.

Since your problem appears to be load-based, my guess is the problem lies on the high amp side of the solenoids and/or connections, rather than in the hand control. You didn't mention smoking wires so my guess is the bus bars or heavy cables are involved. You might also have a bad solenoid. If you opened the control box to swapout longer cables it is possible that you didn't get the solenoid pack back together quite right. Also, you should check the ground on the control box mounted remotely under the hood. The control box normally mounts to the motor casing which is grounded, so check to see if your remote mount is well grounded. Also, check to see if the control box might be shifting when the winch is under load.

Good Luck!

I believe that the title of your post is a little mis-leading. I would bank on your modifications being the problem rather than the winch itself. Did you operate the winch b4 you started adding longer cables? If you aren't absolutely sure of your connections you can fry the electrics on your new winch.

Any chance your cable is caught in the wraps of the drum? Sometimes it can bind and start to wind in when you are trying to wind out.

Can you pull all the cable off the drum? Do that and then wind it in and see what happens. If the cable is bound in the drum, you may need to hook it to something, pull the winch clutch and back up your truck to spool it out.

Ok, thanks for the reply's guys!

Heres what I found out...

The solenoid box was wired correctly. I had labeled everything and also have a wiring diagram from Warn to check it. I went to a local welding shop and purchased #2 welding lead wire which is exactly the same size as the warn stuff. I then ran it all the way up into the engine bay next to the battery.

The winch would start to load up and then reverse itself, spitting the wire back out. Tonight, I took off my longer cables and installed the shorter ones that Warn had on. I placed the battery and solenoid box right next to the winch so I could test it out again. This time it pulled in hard and didnt hesitate at all. :confused:

Im going to test it out again with another vehicle so I can put it under more of a load, but it looks like its working fine with the short cables.

I bought quality welding lead cable that is the same size as the #2 that the winch came with. Could the extra length be an issue? The individual wires inside the cable are smaller, but the entire cable itself is the smae size and ga. Ive seen plenty of other people route the control box into the engine bay like this, so it doesnt make any sense to me why it did this,...

I think the length is an issue. Get #0 welding cable and I'll bet problems will disappear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom