Warn 8274 or 8074 break friction material question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm rebuilding an Warn 8074 winch and was wondering if the friction material is needed for the break. I was following Billavista's rebuild over on that other site but got to this point and he makes no mention of it nor does he show them on his rebuild. When I took it apart, these two plates were not between the discs. Anybody rebuild one or know if this is indeed needed? I can't find any info and it's not in the brake service kit so I have no idea wtf to do. I guess it could never hurt to add it but if it's not needed, I'd rather not have to wait on it. I emailed Bill but I'm not sure if he'll reply so figured the next best place was here.

1 800 543 WARN

If you have the discs, that is the brake friction material....IIRC.

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks Steve.

I called Warn and apparently there are SEVERAL differnt versions of Brake material. In the diagram in the link, it's part #39 that I'm talking about. But part #40 has holes in the hub where I actually have pucks that fit in those holes in the hubs and that is what part #39 is on some models.

They were really helpful and are sending me out the Warn sticker for top of the winch that has the serial numbers and a few extra Warn decals. Great customer service at Warn.

Here's the diagram for what I'm talking about. Might be useful to some others

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billa...nd_exploded-diagram_m8274_337844_and_down.pdf

Warn 8274 break

I am also rebuilding an 8274. Is there any way to know if the break assembly needs to be dis assembled? I am having extreme difficulty getting it apart and was thinking of taking the assembly out without removing the break from the shaft. If I do that, can I tell if it needs to come apart or not?

Thanks!

I am also rebuilding an 8274. Is there any way to know if the break assembly needs to be dis assembled? I am having extreme difficulty getting it apart and was thinking of taking the assembly out without removing the break from the shaft. If I do that, can I tell if it needs to come apart or not?

Thanks!

Try to grab the inner of the two discs and see if you can get it to slide in or out (it won't much much). Also see if you can get it to rotate slightly with respect to the outer disc (this should be more enlightening).

If you can't then its an indication the brake might be stuck. Though it can take a lot of force even when still good, so its just one clue not a definitive answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom