Wanting to camp in Sedona area with my kids for first time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to go on a 1 night type camping trip with my wife and kids aged 2 and 3. We live in Phoenix so Sedona area is close. I have a currently stock gx470.

Since I’ve got young ones I want to go on some super mellow trails

I recommend the Brokern Arrow. Just bypass the “stairs” and you’ll be fine. I did it with my stock LX all the time with the kids.

I camp around Sedona on Coconino Forest land frequently. You can drive up I17 and get off at the Schnebly Hill exit and camp to the east of I17 or even along the upper portion of the Schnebly Hill trail for the night and then drive down the trail to Sedona the next day.

Take a look at the Forest Service Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) available here:

All legally open roads are shown on the MVUM and the little dots along some roads show where dispersed camping is allowed. "Dispersed camping allowed" only means you can park up to 300 feet from the road - all other roads limit you to parking next to the road while camping.

You can camp next to the forest service roads anywhere that camping is not prohibited (areas shown on MVUMs).

See rule 11 on this page:

When dispersed camping (or "car camping") on the National Forest, refer to the designated camping corridors shown on the Motor Vehicle Use Map. In these designated corridors, visitors may drive their vehicles up to 300 feet from the road to car camp (here's a sample of what those designated areas look like on the map). Also, visitors may park alongside any designated road's edge and walk to their campsite anywhere on National Forest System lands, except where specifically prohibited as indicated in closure orders. When parking along a designated road, drivers must pull off the travelled portion of the roadway to permit the safe passage of traffic. These rules only affect motor vehicle use. Forest visitors can always hike to campsites at farther distances from the roads.

East of I17 at the Schnebly Hill exit has better tall trees and fewer people. Schnebly Hill road has dramatic views and lots of people competing for campsites.

There are also a ton of campsites along forest roads to the South and West of Sedona.

Portion of the Sedona area MVUM. Schnebly Hill is road #153. I have seen passenger cars along the upper Eastern portion of 153.
1649560708151.png

I camp around Sedona on Coconino Forest land frequently. You can drive up I17 and get off at the Schnebly Hill exit and camp to the east of I17 or even along the upper portion of the Schnebly Hill trail for the night and then drive down the trail to Sedona the next day.

Take a look at the Forest Service Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) available here:

All legally open roads are shown on the MVUM and the little dots along some roads show where dispersed camping is allowed. "Dispersed camping allowed" only means you can park up to 300 feet from the road - all other roads limit you to parking next to the road while camping.

You can camp next to the forest service roads anywhere that camping is not prohibited (areas shown on MVUMs).

See rule 11 on this page:

When dispersed camping (or "car camping") on the National Forest, refer to the designated camping corridors shown on the Motor Vehicle Use Map. In these designated corridors, visitors may drive their vehicles up to 300 feet from the road to car camp (here's a sample of what those designated areas look like on the map). Also, visitors may park alongside any designated road's edge and walk to their campsite anywhere on National Forest System lands, except where specifically prohibited as indicated in closure orders. When parking along a designated road, drivers must pull off the travelled portion of the roadway to permit the safe passage of traffic. These rules only affect motor vehicle use. Forest visitors can always hike to campsites at farther distances from the roads.

East of I17 at the Schnebly Hill exit has better tall trees and fewer people. Schnebly Hill road has dramatic views and lots of people competing for campsites.

There are also a ton of campsites along forest roads to the South and West of Sedona.

Portion of the Sedona area MVUM. Schnebly Hill is road #153. I have seen passenger cars along the upper Eastern portion of 153.
View attachment 2976613
Oh wow thanks for all of this great info.

I just noticed this link to a dispersed camping guide on the Forest service page I referenced above. This pdf has more details about forest service camping areas around Sedona.
North of Sedona(closed during winter season): HWY 89A north of Oak Creek Vista to the west FR535 is a designated camping corridor for dispersed camping. To the east FR237 has site specific designated camping areas.

South of Sedona : : FR121, FR689, FR214, FR215, FR618 more than 1 mile south of Beaver Creek Campground. All have designated dispersed camping corridors Horses/ Trailers Bruce Brockett Trailhead from FR618

East of Sedona: Weather/road closures permitting) Schnebly Hill Road (FR153) East of the Schnebly Hill Vista is a designated camping corridor. Look for the “Camping Permitted” sign.

West of Sedona: Travel 3 miles west of Lower Red Rock loop Road on Hwy 89A to Forest Road 525. A designated camping corridor starts approximately 2 mi N. of 89A on FR525 and ends at Boynton Pass Rd (FR152C). All of FR525C is a designated camping corridor.

There are some great overlook spots along the highlighted stretch here on 153A. (34.8881959228537, -111.70236726073482)

Echo @Somebodyelse5 , get there early and expect revelry sounds in the PM. Depending on ages, watch the kids around the cliff's edge.

1649690791818.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom