Wanted : Fog-free side mirrors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Or perhaps this should have read ..

Wanted : Passenger side , rear bumper thingie . Imminent , or at least eventual , crash anticipated ... Everyday I drive home , into the underground parking at the condo , and I back into my spot . A structual , round pillar is what I slide about as I back in and most of the time these cold days , I am lucky to be able to see into my side mirros for the fog buildup . As soon as the warmer condo air hits the cooler side mirrors , it's game over ! :eek:

So what do you guys suggest as a foolproof solution ??

Tyler

Heat em.
Sean

Pull in straight. By the time you go to leave, the fog should have gone away. :D

That's condensation and it will happen no matter how clean or what's on your side mirrors. Only way to avoid it is to warm the mirrors above the dew point of the air in the condo, or reduce the humidity in the condo air so the dew point is below the temp of the outside air. Or keep the condo air so cold it can't hold enough moisture to condense on the mirrors. Simple physics.

Tyler,

I was thinking about posting info. on this product when I saw your post.

Yes, it's another one of those cool, but not so affordable gizmo from Japan. But who knows, maybe something like this is available at your local Pepboys/Auto Zone for cheap.

It's aspheric(curved?) and reduces your blind spot a little. Also they claim that water slides off easier than regular mirrors. I don't know about fogging up though.

They have them for the 80, 100, Surf(Four Runner) and others so the pics might not be of an 80.

Also it has a blue tint for "European look", they say ::)

Anyway, Take a look.

mot

Sorry, I can't(don't know how) to post more than one pic at a time ???

And one more.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the "mirror" just sticks on the existing mirror. So it's not a replacemnt.

:cheers:

mot

I need to increase my post count, you know ;)

I should have said that the mirror increases visibility down low when you are parking. At least that's the way I feel when I park my van with similar mirrors(came with the vehicle), not necessarily improving your blind spot upon passing.

Anyway, I find it(them) useful. They don't have the usual "Objects appear ..." disclaimer, either. :D

I guess Tyler just asked for fog-free mirrors :whoops:

Just F.Y.I., I guess.

mot

Mot,

That's almost funny. The top pic is stock, the 2nd pic is the "new" aspheric right? I literally see zero difference in the field of view (no wider at all). But for the money and trouble, there's a sizable distortion in the bottom of the mirror so you can see.....what? The rear tire? The street? That distortion would make me insane after about an hour in traffic. Amazing what people will buy.

Doug

Should I take mine back? ;)

Seriously, I don't think they are worth $170US, either.
To defend Toyota for having them on my vehicle(Regius van), they are nice when I am backing up in a tight spot(Japan is a small country with bunch of small streets and small parking spots. And backing into parking spots are normal here whereas it's not necessary in the US. As nice as they are though, I still have to lower the passenger-side mirror all the way from time to time. :-[

I guess putting on a little round curvy mirror thingie that you can buy at a local shop is just as(if not more) effective. I didn't like it very much though when it was on my wife's pickup.

Anyway...
Which "cool" item should I post from Japan next? :flipoff2:
I guess I should stop posting these useless AND expensive rubbish soon, eh? :D

mot

[quote author=mot link=board=2;threadid=6857;start=msg56443#msg56443 date=1067409705]
Anyway...

mot

[/quote]
keep posting :D do they use new cruisers for fire trucks? would like to see some pics of that if so ;)

So what do you guys suggest as a foolproof solution ??

Buy a late model Trooper. Heated & power flip-in mirrors.

Hey team, I saw this on TV and don't know if it will work in this application, but here goes........ spread some shaving foam (aerosol can type) on the mirror and smear it around to cover all areas. Then wipe it off with a dry paper towel. That's it! It stopped the fog on a bathroom mirror that is cause by a hot shower........ at least on TV it did.

thorvald,

I have not seen any Land Cruiser fire engines, not in town anyway. But I believe they are still around.

Japan Highway(?) has both LC80 and Safari maintenance vehicles that are yellow in color you(we) see on our express way here. I tried looking for a pic, but haven't found one so far. But found a different one I'll put below.

I'll come up with another gadget soon. Just give me some time. :D

Later,

mot

Dig the turbo sticker!

[quote author=mot link=board=2;threadid=6857;start=msg56443#msg56443 date=1067409705]
Should I take mine back? ;)

Seriously, I don't think they are worth $170US, either.
To defend Toyota for having them on my vehicle(Regius van), they are nice when I am backing up in a tight spot(Japan is a small country with bunch of small streets and small parking spots. And backing into parking spots are normal here whereas it's not necessary in the US. As nice as they are though, I still have to lower the passenger-side mirror all the way from time to time. :-[

I guess putting on a little round curvy mirror thingie that you can buy at a local shop is just as(if not more) effective. I didn't like it very much though when it was on my wife's pickup.

Anyway...

mot

[/quote]

Heated mirrors are optional on LC100's in Japan. Also, mirrors fold up automatically once you turn off the ignition so they don't get bumped/damaged in tight parking spaces (Iv'e seen this on virtually all cars).

Doug,

I know the "turbo" stickers are cool 8)
Even if you don't have one installed, putting them on will make you feel like you are more powerful :D

Jim,

I think most(all?) late model Cruisers came with folding mirrors. I have been thinking about picking me up a pair, or at least motors, wires, switches, etc... from a junk yard or an auction while I'm here. They may not be used as much as they do here, but it would be nice in a garage where things are usually tight. I use the folding feature on my Regius all the time when parking.

mot

Thread hijack! Thread hijack!
Does anyone know of a source for heated side mirrors for a 97? Performance Products has them for 98's and up but not for earlier years. Thanks and sorry.
Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom