Wanted : Fog-free side mirrors (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's all you need Bill, more voltage sucking stuff on yer rig :slap: . IIRC heated mirrors may have been a Eurospec option. It may be possible to latch onto, say, some German part numbers. They would be LHD ;)

D-

CDan,
Sie der mann! I'm getting rid of the two electric racing rad fans so have an extra 25 amps I don't know what to do with. :D I don't know how you do it but latch if you can. Thanks.
Bill

I don't have the schematics , but I have a few ideas ... weak ones at best ..

• I rarely use the down-tilt of my mirrors . Could I hijack that wire to power a heater ?
  • Is there some type of heater that can be adhered to the mirror back ?
  • I also have already wired in my own under-the-mirror signals . Perhaps I could wire the heater off that circuit . Power my hazards to activate an intermittant heat just before condo re-entry *L*

Any viability here ?

Hey!!!!! what did you guys think about the shaving foam idea? It's a lot cheaper than heated mirrors.

Wayne S

The last time I shaved was 30 years ago so am unfamiliar with the stuff. ::)
Bill

I spoke with a local rep from Safelite which is a national chain, last spring. They had some generic heating units you can add to the existing mirrors. They ran about $35 or $40 each. It requires that you separate the actual mirror from the plastic mount which it held in place by a big piece of double sided tape. Place this device in between the mount and the mirror. You then need to run the power lines to the mirror. The only downside was that the mirror usually breaks about 90% of the time because the adhesive is so strong. I was quoted about $40 for each piece if glass and you would need replacement adhesive pads, so for less than $$ you should be in business. Never had the time or spare $$ to pursuit this and the summertime came again. Now that the dew is hitting hard again I might have to be the guinea pig. I couldn’t see jack sh@t in the mirrors this morning.

My favorite cap. I sport it often ;)

USMC , I'll give that stuff a try ... but if you're messin with me , I'm gonna track you down and pass on your address to Junk and his momma !! 8)

PPC , thats exactly the type of heater I was hoping for ... just buy some of those and try hijacking some of the existing wiring . Mirror-up = on / mirror-down = off ?

Dan , I don't think you know Jack s*** ! :p :D :D ... thats a compliment , isn't it ??

Buy a late model Trooper. Heated & power flip-in mirrors.

yep,i had a 1993 trooper that had those heated,foldy inny mirrors.

wintertime here would be nice with some heat on that glass for sure.......

doug

Post back if the shaving cream works...I scuba dive and have de fogger for my mask...that should work just as well and it's about 3 bucks at any dive shop.

My friends use pepsident toothpaste to eliminate the fogging of the swim mask. Rub it and and wash if off, no drying required.

:-\ Toothpaste was recommended to be used on the first application to remove the "film" left on during production, but never as a de-fogger. That's odd.

Condensation occurs more readily on a surface with dirt because the particles give the microscopic water particles something to start on. All the foam will do is clean the mirror well. However, you're describing condensation from temperature change (cold object into warm moist air), which will occur no matter how clean the object is. This might make your mirror more uniformly steamed up, but will not reduce it a bit. The foam has alcohol in it for a squeaky clean mirror, but this can be accomplished with any good glass cleaner..

Doug

Why don't you try some of the RainX Anti-fogger? It works good on windows and probably for the mirrors too. I have used in my bathroom mirrors and works great.

Tyler, I'm not BSing you on the shaving foam ::). There was this guy ??? (can't remember his name) on PBS during one of their pledge drives that was demonstrating how to use common househole items to clean tough stains and how to do other neat tricks around the house. Well, he smeared some shaving foam on a mirror and then used a hand steamer (one used for steaming wrinkles out of clothing) to demonstrate that the steam would not adhere to the mirror. As I recall, I did try it on our bathroom mirror while taking a hot shower (vent fan off) and, it worked.

Wayne S :cheers:

[quote author=ppc link=board=2;threadid=6857;start=msg56793#msg56793 date=1067483469]The only downside was that the mirror usually breaks about 90% of the time because the adhesive is so strong.[/quote]

I use MEK to dissolve the adhesive. It also dissolves chem-resistant gloves and causes cancer (don't drink it). I'm sure other strong solvents would work too. If you do break it, or just want another mirror, replacements are available at most auto parts stores. I usually get an oversize one and belt-sand the edges to the shape I need. Go easy so you don't burn the reflective backing at the edges. I used to work at the company that makes most of the worlds automotive mirrors.

Would it be possible to retrofit newer cruiser mirrors off of a junked vehicle? My mirrors are heated and fold in as well. May take some nifty wiring but they work great in the mornings when there's condensation on them.

This is a little off topic but is a neat trick if you are in a pinch. If it's raining out and you have bad wipers on your vehicle and can't drive it. Dry the glass as best you can, cut a potato in half and rub it all over the class. Then dry it with a towel. Now water will shed off the glass and allow you to clearly see where you are going.

Not news for Doug I imagine :D

Well, it was a bumper crop, so the farmers are looking for alternative uses. Look out Rain-X!! Free potatoes for everyone!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom