Want to do some beach camping/surf fishing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

zoned

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m starting to outfit my lx to do some beach driving/ camping and was looking for input from
Fellow NC’ers of good places to go where I can park on the beach set up camp and fish.

Any recommendations?

Fort fisher

Depends how remote you want to be, Portsmouth Island is pretty amazing too.
I think since this will be my 1st excursion I don’t want to go too far from ‘help! I’m a dumbass!” Range :)

I think since this will be my 1st excursion I don’t want to go too far from ‘help! I’m a dumbass!” Range :)
Well, @erymer once came across a guy who was stuck on the beach with 4 people in a Maserati sedan, so "dumbass" is a pretty high bar in some parts of NC. There's video of that somewhere here.

Omg, that would be something to see lol

Cape Lookout and Portsmouth have ferries that you pay per foot of vehicle, as well as per person. Figure 200 or so to get over to either island. Cabins are available to rent on Calo by the national park service. an Off Road Vehicle permit is required to drive on either island. Portsmouth cabins are closed for renovations, hopefully open next year .

Calo has fuel, a bathhouse, some potable water, and areas that are closed due to Turtle and bird nesting activity. the lighthouse is closed for climbing.

Both Portsmouth and Calo would cost a fortune to get any kind of tow/recovery from the mainland. their big wrecker takes the entire ferry (which you pay for), in addition to the recovery. I've read about 1500 to 2000 to recover out there. There are nice folks out there, but to be honest, overlanding stupidity has really tarnished calo. they allow side x side rentals on the island, and people try to bring drones for huge group outings for the gram.....Fyi, Drones are illegal to fly inside natl parks.

National park service has a campground on Ocracoke . need the same permit to drive on the beach.

Ft Fisher is a daily pay, and technically, you are supposed to be fishing, not camping. some people get grief, while some dont get bothered. I believe it has a lot to do with how you act when you're awake. LOL

Carolina Beach allows driving and camping. it gets crowded, and the first 400 yards of the beach are the absolute worst to drive on. deep ruts, soft sand, very soft sand, with a neverending stream of Brodozers going by.

Cape Lookout and Portsmouth have ferries that you pay per foot of vehicle, as well as per person. Figure 200 or so to get over to either island. Cabins are available to rent on Calo by the national park service. an Off Road Vehicle permit is required to drive on either island. Portsmouth cabins are closed for renovations, hopefully open next year .

Calo has fuel, a bathhouse, some potable water, and areas that are closed due to Turtle and bird nesting activity. the lighthouse is closed for climbing.

Both Portsmouth and Calo would cost a fortune to get any kind of tow/recovery from the mainland. their big wrecker takes the entire ferry (which you pay for), in addition to the recovery. I've read about 1500 to 2000 to recover out there. There are nice folks out there, but to be honest, overlanding stupidity has really tarnished calo. they allow side x side rentals on the island, and people try to bring drones for huge group outings for the gram.....Fyi, Drones are illegal to fly inside natl parks.

National park service has a campground on Ocracoke . need the same permit to drive on the beach.

Ft Fisher is a daily pay, and technically, you are supposed to be fishing, not camping. some people get grief, while some dont get bothered. I believe it has a lot to do with how you act when you're awake. LOL

Carolina Beach allows driving and camping. it gets crowded, and the first 400 yards of the beach are the absolute worst to drive on. deep ruts, soft sand, very soft sand, with a neverending stream of Brodozers going by.
Thanks for the input that’s very helpful!

Well, @erymer once came across a guy who was stuck on the beach with 4 people in a Maserati sedan, so "dumbass" is a pretty high bar in some parts of NC. There's video of that somewhere here.
Ask and ye shall receive. To be fair that’s a nasty spot and a lot of people get stuck there. On Facebook if you follow Oregon inlet idiots you will find some real gems.

3911E5CF-A21F-4212-84A1-955806C87A50.jpeg

Some good info here, I'm looking to visit Ocracoke in September or October as part of an OBX grand tour (full thing north to south or the other way around). Any feedback on the camping conditions around then? I know hurricanes are a concern that time of year but how bearable is the heat/humidity otherwise? And how is the beach driving on Ocracoke?

Some good info here, I'm looking to visit Ocracoke in September or October as part of an OBX grand tour (full thing north to south or the other way around). Any feedback on the camping conditions around then? I know hurricanes are a concern that time of year but how bearable is the heat/humidity otherwise? And how is the beach driving on Ocracoke?
In ocracoke, the access ramps and oceanfront driving changes based on the time of year and storms, birds and turtles

As long as there are no storms, sept and oct is a great time to go. The humidity should have broken by then.

You can't camp on any of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore beaches

Can't camp in Carova

The only places you can beach camp are Portsmouth island and Cape Lookout island. These are only accessible by boat / car ferry

In ocracoke, the access ramps and oceanfront driving changes based on the time of year and storms, birds and turtles

As long as there are no storms, sept and oct is a great time to go. The humidity should have broken by then.

You can't camp on any of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore beaches

Can't camp in Carova

The only places you can beach camp are Portsmouth island and Cape Lookout island. These are only accessible by boat / car ferry
Thanks for the info, saw you can't beach camp there so looking at booking a spot at Ocracoke campground. Not sure I'll fit it in on this trip but would love to do Portsmouth Island. Would be a great spot for a club trip 👀

Hatteras is also fun.

Planning on going north from Ocracoke to Hatteras - but I don't really know anything about it - anything worth noting?
The ferry from ocracoke to Haterras is first come first served, so expect long lines on weekends and public holidays. Once on Hatteras, the drive on beach next to the museum is nice and the drive on beach at Cape Point is popular with fisherman. Plenty of drive on access between there and Oregon Inlet. A lunch stop at Watermans is highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom