W56 gaskets, rf1a gaskets, bearing/shaft end play (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Title pretty much sums it up. How important are the gaskets for OE trans and t case function/reliability?

From what I visualize on the trans if I run without the input bearing retainer gasket that will tighthen it up a bit. If I run without the front half gasket to the centerpeice it will loosen it up. If I run without the rear half gasket it will loosen it up.

I havent yet looked at the rf1a's gasket relationship to bearings (havent dissambled yet but its currently siliconed together as per previous owner... trans im dealing with is an otherwise OE trans supposed to replace my current trans which is also sans paper gaskets) , but I reckon it will be +/- some here and there.

My plan is/was just send everything back together with straight silicone gasket maker... but I've read somewhere something about the paper gaskets as factored into the play of the bearings.

I understand ball bearings are designed with slop, and depending on class of bearing they have X amount of slop.
How thick are the paper gaskets? Is it enough to care about for bearing for/aft play?
Will that translate into weird for/aft play on the gears?

Whats the authority on this?

Last edited:
Not completely sure about the load shift it would have but I do know that if you use FIPG, it’s a nightmare trying to separate cases and such. Glued a t-case back together with FIPG and had to rig up a vise and slide hammer setup to get it back apart. I’d stick with paper gaskets. They’re pretty cheap.

I think you are over analyzing this. If you have excessive play it has nothing to do with gaskets. I'm with Toast. Run paper.

I'd still use gasket maker if I ran paper... I want this to be a 100% dry unit. I'll loose sleep if I put it back together and it sweats or drips because I didnt use the right stuff. Lol

Being able to take it apart easily isnt really a concern of mine. Unless it grenades, the cases shouldnt ever have to come back apart for a long long time.

"If you have excessive play, it wont be because you didnt run gaskets"

Well I'm trying to figure that out, but I should probably just run the gaskets and file this idea of not running them into the do not ever think about again bin. I suppose the .005"(assumed) thicknesses times however many have the potential to make an otherwise tight spec'd trans a loose one or on the looser end of the spec.

Overanalyzation will come if I whip the FSM out and try to find trans specs, lol

Last edited:
Went ahead and ordered all the paper gaskets.

What are peoples experiences with running them dry?
Should hylomar or #2/#3 or the like be used?

Just built a 4.7 t-case with paper gaskets and no fipg. 500 miles later, bone dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom