VSC lights on, and a list of possible causes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DFXR

SILVER Star
Threads
I've got both VSC lights on, but no CEL and no brake light. They came on after a 2 hour drive (stopped for 20 min, started back up and then they appeared for first time). Now they come on with any motion, forward or reverse. They are not on at startup. They did not come on following any CDL use, though I did use the CDL on a muddy, steep trail after they came on initially and it has worked as normal.

Driving and braking feel normal, no recent work under the hood. "P" light is out along with "D" and I canlt honestly say when that happened.

If there was a CEL accompanying the VSC lights, I'd get the codes and go from there. But I don't think the VSC lights alone will give up codes.

So I'm making a list of possible causes, based on searches here, and going after the low-hanging fruit first. Feel free to add anything you've encountered because I know the VSCs can mean any number of things. Some of the causes I've found sound too good to be true (when contrasted with the $$ stuff) but I'm looking at everything before I give up and take it to a shop.

Weak charging system (battery or alternator)
Failing booster
Wheel speed sensor issue
ABS sensor issue
Yaw sensor issue
Burnt out "P" indicator bulb in gauge cluster
Loose nut at top of shock mount
Water damage via windshield seal

Anything else you can think of?

Thanks-

Replaced the "P" (Park) indicator bulb in my instrument panel today and lo and behold, the VSC lights went away. Thanks JeffH.

Also, thanks RobRed for the detailed instrument panel removal instructions here:

Factory Switch to Control Air Lockers – Part 2

I followed these instructions exactly. Not a bad job at all. Once you have the instrument panel out of the truck, remove the white clamshell shield on the back. The indicator bulbs twist out from the back - I used a very thin flat blade screwdriver to twist the bad bulb out, and to twist the new one in.

When putting it all back together, it took a few tries to get the multipin connectors to seat completely. You'll know if they are not seated as most of your gauges will not work until the connection is solid.

Part number for the bulb: 90076-04003

And yes, I replaced my "D" light while I was in there!

DF

I had couple VSC lights on and the P light bulb went out on my 01 LC. I was hoping it was just the P bulb. So, I replaced the P bulb today and thank goodness, the VSC lights went away!

I would say the hardest part was getting the instrument cluster out without removing the steering wheel. I found this post and got the details to do so. Key is to remove the top plastic steering column piece out along with the clear cluster face to give you enough room pull out/in the cluster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom