VM and 3B 70 series differences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wormfood

SILVER Star
Threads
Other than the engine, does anybody know how much different there is between the VM and 3B motor BJ7x? I have a 15B-FT I plan to swap in, which should be pretty easy with the 3B, but with the VM am I going to have to rewire half the vehicle? I have a B series to H55f bellhousing and input shaft, so that's not really a worry.

There are some minor differences in wiring. Rear wiper motor, glow plug relay. I simply used the existing VM/Bosch glow plug system when I installed my 1HDT. It was literally a one wire connection. The hot wire that goes from the glow plug relay to the glow plug busbar.
You’ll have to deal with alternator wiring, a/c hoses, coolant plumbing and various sensor and signal wiring difference between engines. The only tricky difference was the tach signal switch from bellhousing mounted sensor from the VM to injector pump mounted tech sensor on the 1hdt injector pump. The signal type/wavelength/frequency on the 15BFT may be the same. A tach from a 2lt cluster matched the 1hdt signal so I just swapped out the existing tach and installed one from a 2lt powered 70 series.
The most significant difference between the trucks will be the use of Portuguese sourced parts like window glass and interior fabric and headliner. The axles, frame, transmission and metal body and frp top are all Toyota. As are most of the electrical wiring. You’ll find non toyota wiring in there, mostly in the periphery. Battery cables, some under hood relays and such. The main harnesses and behind dash wiring are Toyota.
Hope this helps.

..... the use of Portuguese sourced parts like window glass and interior fabric and headliner......

Hi, this is off-topic. I'm living in Portugal and I've only recently been going through threads here. I've noticed a few mentions of Portuguese parts, or cars for the LC. Does Portugal have certain LC that no other got? Thanks

Hi
Toyota Caetano Portugal S.A. is located in Ovar. It emerged from the Salvador Caetano Group, which started its car business in 1968, with the importation and representation of Toyota. The site started production under Toyota in 1971. Landcruiser J4 was the first LC made in Portugal. Several models have been and still are build there, including Landcruiser. Right now, LCs are manufactured there for export only. RHD models, some also going to TGS in Gibraltar, which is specialized in special builds of governmental and NGO iterations of LC vehicles.
For a while (1987 until at least 1990) the BJ73 hardtop was manufactured there, using European / Portuguese part and the Italisn VM engine, for the Italian and Iberian markets.
Back the days, Toyota used to manufacture LCs with local parts and engines in several countries worldwide, usually to overcome local import restrictions.
See also here Thread 'BJ-73 - "Made in Portugal" by: Salvador Caetano' BJ-73 - "Made in Portugal" by: Salvador Caetano - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bj-73-made-in-portugal-by-salvador-caetano.520393/
Today, being in the EU, Portugal gets the 'normal' EU spec Landcruiser models, I guess.
But I have no further details.
What sophisticated local importers might accomplish is a different story.
Cheers Ralf

wow, that's very interesting! Thank you for the quick lesson. No wonder the VM engine is found in the Jeep XJ, LC, Range Rover Classics and probably other cars I'm not aware of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom