Visiting Wester MT off road and looking for tips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

baldilocks

Battle Ground, WA
GOLD Star
Threads
Hello all, my wife and I will be traveling to MT in September around the 5th for a couple weeks. The first few days will be spent at Glacier Nat'l Park and after that we want to get off road for a week or so. I have a coupe books on trails in wester MT and will get forest maps but tips and suggestions from those who live and go 4wheeling in MT would be very appreciated. Thanks

There are three referenced in the first 10 or so posts of the 406 sub forum, but they are quite a way south of the glacier area. But they are my favorites of the area. All lead to pretty amazing alpine lakes.
Goose lake and the morrison jeep trail are in the beartooth mountains. Its hard to beat the scenery there.
Hopefully someone from farther north will have some suggestions.

Hello all, my wife and I will be traveling to MT in September around the 5th for a couple weeks. The first few days will be spent at Glacier Nat'l Park and after that we want to get off road for a week or so. I have a coupe books on trails in wester MT and will get forest maps but tips and suggestions from those who live and go 4wheeling in MT would be very appreciated. Thanks
Forgot to mention the third one. North meadow creek , in the tobacco roots mountains.

Steve like @secretasiansam said, north meadow creek is about as hard as it gets here in montana but would be a walk in the park for your 80. Up north meadow creek there are 5 lakes you can access to camp and fish but the tobacco roots are way south of glacier but if you do decide to come down this far and wouldnt mind a tag along for those trails let me know!

Steve like @secretasiansam said, north meadow creek is about as hard as it gets here in montana but would be a walk in the park for your 80. Up north meadow creek there are 5 lakes you can access to camp and fish but the tobacco roots are way south of glacier but if you do decide to come down this far and wouldnt mind a tag along for those trails let me know!
Thanks guys. I will let you know if I will be down south in your area Johnny. It would be great to run trails with you.

Last edited:
Blacktail ohv area is just outside of kalispell not too far from glacier. It's an offroad park so a lot of the obstacles are man made. They have bypasses so it can be as interesting as you want it to be. Not a super long trail but about the only thing in that area. As other people said I would go further south if your looking for some decent trails.

Blacktail ohv area is just outside of kalispell not too far from glacier. It's an offroad park so a lot of the obstacles are man made. They have bypasses so it can be as interesting as you want it to be. Not a super long trail but about the only thing in that area. As other people said I would further south if your looking for some decent trails.
I appreciate the input. Thank you. Does anyone know of an off road route that would take me from MT across ID to WA?

@Bret he's in that part of the state and has lots of insight

The old Lolo motor way will take you 100 miles on dirt, start just out side of Missoula over Lolo pass , end 100 miles west somewhere in idaho. It's old nez perce /Lewis and Clark route.
I will check it out. Thanks.

I will check it out. Thanks.
I was just up there this weekend putting around beautiful country. The whole route is no longer accessible as most of graves range jeep trail is closed along with other roads now but still lots of dirt road roads to explore. A lot of hopscotch back and forth across highway 12

I was just up there this weekend putting around beautiful country. The whole route is no longer accessible as most of graves range jeep trail is closed along with other roads now but still lots of dirt road roads to explore. A lot of hopscotch back and forth across highway 12
Is there no rock crawling in MT?

Seems like the best wheeling is in southern MT then?

I appreciate the input. Thank you. Does anyone know of an off road route that would take me from MT across ID to WA?

Look into the "MaGruder Corridor". It's not technical at all. But it's like a 100 mile stretch of dirt road connecting Highway 473 in Montana (closest town is Darby, MT I think) and Grangeville, Idaho. There are some old firewatch towers up there that you can check out. Zero cell or HAM radio coverage along the corridor though. So take anything you need. Can be frequented by folks with ATV/UTV's based on my only trip through there.

Great info folks. Thank you

@baldilocks hit me up if you go on Macgruder corridor, I may be down to tag along.

@Bret he's in that part of the state and has lots of insight

The wild Bill trail mentioned previously is one of the only trails that has legitimate obstacles to challenge a built vehicle. Everything has bypasses if needed. Goes from Kila to Lakeside. The 2 primary groups are Big Sky 4 Wheelers from the Northern side of the Flathead Valley and Skyliners out of Polson. There are several very scenic runs, but very challenging.

The wild Bill trail mentioned previously is one of the only trails that has legitimate obstacles to challenge a built vehicle. Everything has bypasses if needed. Goes from Kila to Lakeside. The 2 primary groups are Big Sky 4 Wheelers from the Northern side of the Flathead Valley and Skyliners out of Polson. There are several very scenic runs, but very challenging.
Great info. Are there lakes to camp at in this area. Which forest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom