For Sale Vintage Utility Camping Trailer in So Cal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In my ongoing efforts to regroup from the warehouse fire, I have decided to finally let this piece of fine vintage Americana go from my collection. As indicated by the name tag under the bed, the trailer was originally made and sold by Utility, the company that makes the big tractor trailers, in 1940. Yes I said 1940. I bought it from the second owner, who happily used it for car camping until 1986. Then the resto mod began.

I purchased a brand new HD axle for it with a six lug bolt pattern from an adventure trailer manufacturer in Bakersfield. I stripped the front and rear gates down, dumping the original shiplap panels and varnishing a new set. I stripped, sanded and re-varnished the original oak staves from the gates. Then I built the boxes. As you can see from the photos, the passenger side box was more or less finished. The driver's side was one of those get-around-to-it projects that never happened, so the box is just one big storage container.

After our first off road adventure with it in Anza Borrego, I decided to add the additional stabilizer bars across the top of the bed. I ran it in this form until 1993, for our last real off road adventure into the Panamint Mountains. Didn't use it again until Surf N Turf in 2006, and haven't used it again since. In other words, it needs a new home.

Probably have close to a hundred hours of labor into it, but that's all water under the bridge now. First $1500 takes it. No Pms please.
68C05128-3373-4180-8A09-51D7E5AA0ACB.jpeg

Last edited:
Man that's cool I would like something like that. Small consolation I know but if I were within 500 miles I would come get it. Good luck with it.

Well, there are guys heading from the left coast to the Roundup in TX shortly, and meeting guys from MS. Maybe...

OK so the interior box is 68" long, what is the width? And it's accessible by lowering the tailgate, correct? Is there a waterproof cover for it? And how wide are the side compartments? I assume if I wanted to add shocks, it would be a matter of fabricating some brackets and welding them on, and choosing some appropriate units?

Width of interior box is 4'. The exterior boxes are made from pine boards, so they are 11.25" deep.

The trailer is a stakebed, so all four panels can be removed, and the trailer used as a flatbed as well. The front and rear panels have turnbuckles to lock them down. So access consists of releasing the turnbuckle and pulling the panel up and away, direct access to the interior.

I believe the exterior frame of the trailer is sturdy enough to weld shock mounting hardware to. Keep in mind the panels are wood, so you're not going to be able to wheel this the way you would an all-metal trailer.

Trailer is back in the garage...waiting.

Bump!

That is a sick trailer, hate that it's so far away. Very well built! GLWS

Bump for an old friend.

Bump for an old friend.

How much would you estimate the trailer weighs? Also what rating is that axel you bolted up from the adventure trailer company?

Best guess on weight: 700#. I will ask my wife if she knows where the paperwork is on the axle. It’s been a LONG time.

Bump.

Bump.

I’d love to own this, but I don’t think it could handle the abuse I’d throw at it.

Probably time for another bump. :)

Getting ready to pull this back out of storage. I’m a little surprised that no one from the vintage gatherings has picked this up.

Ok, time for the magic acronym: OBO

TTT

And again. C’mon folks. 🤷🏻

Tried to send you a note but wasn't able.

I run Tdtp.org a veterans mountain bike program. I would like to discuss this trailer.

Great! Leave me a voicemail on my shop phone and I'll give a call back when I get in. Contact info linked in my avatar and sig line.😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom