VINTAGE AIR AC INSTALL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I mounted the drier on some existing unused post (factory AC?) and ran short lines to the condenser on the drivers side. Vintage offers all these component in chrome for the boulevard queens out there :D

Here you can see I ran the hoses behind the cleaner. There is also an electronically controlled servo hot water valve (replaces the pull knob :D) spliced into the heater hose line. This give you variable control of your heat. Decreases flow to heater unit. I didn't need to mess with the copper heater hoses running through the firewall so that was nice. I have had one valve fail and vintage took me through the trouble shooting and when we determined the heater valve was the problem, they sent me a new one immediately....Still haven't put it on. It messed with the cooling because the heater was essentially stuck on. Its cold out now so I am not using the AC....no hury to fix it.

I then planned out the interior mount and determine where my hoses need to come through the firewall. You can get mounting plates but I just used a fixture with rubber washers. Here is a pic in the engine compartment. The red wire is for AC power directly to battery with 30A fuse.

On the inside. Note I retained the factory blower to vent in fresh air (very nice option) :D Sorry its out of focus. I took these pics in about 3 minutes before company was coming over. The wife was not happy about that :doh:

Heater hoses come up from the bottom, AC line straight across. The fluid you seen is from a little poke in on of the heater hoses from a sharp edge of the plastic cover. Typically everything is suppose to come in at the top but this was not possible given the cramped quaters of a 55 dash. You could maybe do it with some planning but It works fine the way it is.

Note the AC lines superiorly, Heater hoses down low and wires vertcally. The wiring is all plug and play. Just follow directions :D

another pic (padding my posts :D)

Compact unit has 3 vents and 2 defrost ports. I had 2 to the double louver in the center and one tubed off to a round louver on the passenger side. There are three defrosts on the cruiser dash. Given the room under the dash I did not split 2-3 just hooked up the 2 on th drivers side. I have used it several times and wit the output it defrosts the entire windshield. Got lucky I guess. I did have to cut the defrost tubes down and modify the 2.5 inch hoses to fit. Dremel and zip ties did the trick.

vents

I tried to heat and bend the t-case shifter but could not. I got pissed and cut it off! Plan to drill out a little knob and put it on sometime.

Notice on the dash, I rearranged some things but kept as much as I could. Doing the Stereo and AC at the same time made planning easier. Note the original fan control bottom left. Used a dremel to cut out for the new control panel.

Machined Horizontal Control for GenII units. Lights up at night

Another look at the unit installed

There it is fellas! Pretty easy install. Took this rookie some time but the estimates for others to do it was around $1500 and I would not have had it done the way I wanted it.

I venture to say she is the most comfy pig around. Keeps me cool, sound insulated with the Dynamat (still noisy but quiet for a pig) and a nice sound system. Happy to answer any other questions.

Hope this helped someone.
Be sure to tint your windows :D'
:cheers:

That looks like an awesome job. And I think you have one of the cleaner 55's around.

So are you satisified with the cooling output of the GEN II compac evaporator? Do people in the back seat feel the cool? What kind of sumertime temps do you see anyway?

As I said before, I am in Arizona, where a 110 degree day is not uncommon. For this reason I was planning on trying to squeeze in the GEN II super cooler. Vintage said this unit pretty much provided the most cooling. This unit is basically four inches longer, and one inch wider than the compac unit you used. I think it would be a very tight fit --although I think it would mostly just extend further into the the passenger side leg room, and I don't sit there much. :)

Jared

I live near Sacramento so it gets up in the low 100's in the summer. This unit kept me cool and I didn't have to keep in on the highest setting to do so. I used the rouind louver on the passenger side because it "shoots" the aire out and can be directed nearly anywhere. Once the rig gets cool the people in the back are comfortable.

If you go with a bigger unit it would stick out further on the passenger side, can't center it as the e-brake is in the way.

I thought about getting abigger unit and placing it under the seat but that seemed impractical for my purposes. You can get back seat units if there is a need.

Good luck with your install. :D

Jared,
The other component is getting a nice big condenser. Increased surface are up front means the unit will run colder. I used a 22 x 14 inch unit. Bigger isn't always better but sometimes it may be necessary. Your call;)

Dan

The way I understand it, condensor size is hugely important. Especially for R134.

I ended up buying the 14x22 inch super flow condenser from Vintage Air. It is as big as I think will fit-- In fact, I will have to cut holes for the fittings to go in, and may have to make some extra connections to get it fitted in.

It certainly has alot more surface area and fins than the stock unit I pulled out.

I think the normal landcruiser kit from vintage air comes with a 14x20 condensor. I doubt that it would be good enough for AZ with R134, but I think that size has worked for others.

Jared

The key for me was using larger spacers. That gave me enough room to get the fittings on. I actually got a high flow 4 tube (?) condenser from the shop. The one I ordered from VA was just a standard condenser...not as efficient I know. I am sure they carry the better stuff. Measure twice because that was my major delay in getting the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom