Vehicle not in service form (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Scott68FJ40

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.myblueheaven.com
I seem to remember that there used to be a form with MVD that you would fill out if your vehicle was not going to be in service for a long period of time. This prevented any penalties from accumulating for not renewing your registration.

Over the weekend it became really clear that there is no way I am going to have the budget to finish my rebuild by the time that my license renewal is due, and since I won't be able to get her through emissions when she is still in pieces, I won't be able to just mail in a check to take care of it.

I just spent a bunch of time digging trough the AZ mvd site, but haven't found anything of any real help. Anyone know what I am talking about, and if so, do you know what it is called?

I seem to remember that there used to be a form with MVD that you would fill out if your vehicle was not going to be in service for a long period of time. This prevented any penalties from accumulating for not renewing your registration.

Over the weekend it became really clear that there is no way I am going to have the budget to finish my rebuild by the time that my license renewal is due, and since I won't be able to get her through emissions when she is still in pieces, I won't be able to just mail in a check to take care of it.

I just spent a bunch of time digging trough the AZ mvd site, but haven't found anything of any real help. Anyone know what I am talking about, and if so, do you know what it is called?

I have done it a lot...when you go to register tell them it has not been used. You be given a paper at that time you will sign saying what you say is true. If you need to get it inspected prior to registration make sure you get a 3 day tag or you cannot claim not in use:doh: If its owned by a corporation make sure you have something tying you to the corp or you cannot sign the not in use paper.

Are you talking about the vin number inspection on a newly registered vehicle? Given that my 40 will most likely still be in parts when renewal comes around, I don't think that an inspection will be all that practical. :)

Weird, I just filled one of those out online at ServiceArizona but I can't find it now. :confused:

Don't know if I would wait until you need to register it. If you have dropped your insurance they are required to notify DMV your insurance has been cancelled. DMV will cancel you registration for no insurance.

Are you talking about the vin number inspection on a newly registered vehicle? Given that my 40 will most likely still be in parts when renewal comes around, I don't think that an inspection will be all that practical. :)

Im talking about a vehicle that was registered and the registration lapse,for whatever reason. Then a couple months later or a couple years later you want up to date tags.

When you finally go to DMV to update the tags you tell them I have not been driving this vehicle, it was not running, it was under restoration. Then you fill out a non use DMV document and sign it. With the document no penalty's will be assessed.

If you are required to emission test the vehicle it needs to be done prior to going to DMV but you need to get a 3 day pass to drive it to the testing to be eligible for the non use doc.

Thanks Phil. That is what I did last time, but I thought you could do it up front as well.

It's not up there. You need to go to DMV and fill out a certificate of non use. You can do it proactively or after it is ready to register again. I will tell you it is easier to do it up front. If you just let it expire and then go to reinstate it, you have to provide receipts for repairs. They are more lenient if you do it up front. You can also take the registration completely off of it and get a "title only". I can't remember if that is a little cheaper. especially if it will be a while. If it will only be a month or so after it expires, go with the non use.

YMMV,
Dave

From Motor Vehicle Division

7) My vehicle is being restored, so I dropped the insurance; and now the registration is suspended. What should I do?

Complete a De-Insured Certificate form. Once restoration is complete, get proof of insurance, complete a non-use certificate and apply for registration. We also recommend that you retain receipts showing parts purchased; they may be required to document the periods of non-use.

I've done it after the fact twice. Never needed receipts, just filled out and notarized a form. Check with your insurance, they usually will suspend insurance while it is down and then you can reinstate it when ready. No lapse in coverage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom