VDJ79 H150 into HDJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don’t - amayama or partsouq would be the first place to start. Otherwise just pick a dealer, no sure how they’d go shipping it to Canada though. Don Kyatt could be an option - they’re terrain tamer but sell genuine transmission parts cheaper than Toyota trade prices so might be worth a shot
Thanks, Partsouq saif no. I like the idea of Don Kyatt. I used EDI freight management for shipping it's way cheaper and good service!

May I hijack this thread a little also...
I have a 91/92 model hzj80...
On the firewall, says its a h150f, from wat I can make, it's actually a hdj box...unless, someone has done the input shift exchange and watever else, failing taking both boxes to a box shop, any ideas how I could identify and differentiate between them?
20220105_183111.jpg
20220105_183152.jpg
20220105_183123.jpg
20220105_183206.jpg

Put in first gear and count the revolutions.
Also, there isn’t much difference between a H151 and H150 apart from slightly shorter first and second gears for the H150 box which is actually an advantage off-road. It was the 1HZ in the 100/105 series that got the s***ty R151 (or maybe R150) box that should be avoided. If you are wanting to do a swap it should be fine…
In the 60 series box there were different splines for diesel vs petrol, but not on the 80

Put in first gear and count the revolutions.
Also, there isn’t much difference between a H151 and H150 apart from slightly shorter first and second gears for the H150 box which is actually an advantage off-road. It was the 1HZ in the 100/105 series that got the s***ty R151 (or maybe R150) box that should be avoided. If you are wanting to do a swap it should be fine…
In the 60 series box there were different splines for diesel vs petrol, but not on the 80
There were 2 noticeable differences between these 2 boxes, one, the bell housing, slightly different and also one is longer/shorter then the other, by about 10 mm
Also the input spline, although looking very much the same, wouldn't allow the new spigot bearing to fit, albeit, I have since found out I was sold the wrong clutch kit, but, also, wen trying to fit my old spigot bearing, to see if there was a difference, it would slip back over the old shift, but not the other, newer box? Which has me thinking, my original box, being for a diesel, maybe the other box was for a petrol? If so, is unusable for transmission swap?

There were 2 noticeable differences between these 2 boxes, one, the bell housing, slightly different and also one is longer/shorter then the other, by about 10 mm
Also the input spline, although looking very much the same, wouldn't allow the new spigot bearing to fit, albeit, I have since found out I was sold the wrong clutch kit, but, also, wen trying to fit my old spigot bearing, to see if there was a difference, it would slip back over the old shift, but not the other, newer box? Which has me thinking, my original box, being for a diesel, maybe the other box was for a petrol? If so, is unusable for transmission swap?
20220105_183050.jpg
20220105_183136.jpg

Hey,
I have a question related to the H152 gearbox swap. I was wondering if the taller 5th gear ratio can be put in the H150/H151 gearbox? And if so, does anyone know where/how to find the part number of that taller gear please?
Thanks!

Hey,
I have a question related to the H152 gearbox swap. I was wondering if the taller 5th gear ratio can be put in the H150/H151 gearbox? And if so, does anyone know where/how to find the part number of that taller gear please?
Thanks!

Yes and no.

The casings are the same. Lots of small parts are the same.

But you cannot simply swap 5th gear by itself.

The 1st & 2nd gear ratios are different for h150 &, h151, 5th gear is different for h152.

The lay shaft, or cluster gear is fixed. As in, ratios cannot be changed without swapping out the cluster gear (all gears are cut into one forged chunk) and swapping out some of the free gears on the main shaft, and the input shaft.

You're almost building a whole new gearbox.

Swapping the input shaft requires very few parts, just time to tear apart the box, install new parts, and reassemble

Hi,

Is there any way to rebuild a H151 to H152 specs?

I have a FZJ105 with the standard 1FZ-FE.

Looking for better highway economy.

Hi,

Is there any way to rebuild a H151 to H152 specs?

I have a FZJ105 with the standard 1FZ-FE.

Looking for better highway economy.

Yes. Replace almost everything inside it.

Terrain Tamer make gears for this.

Cheaper option is to go for bigger tyres.
Or install overdrive high range gears in the transfer case. Also made by Terrain Tamer. Overdrive gears raises the gearing in every gear though.

You're unlikely to gain a lot in economy. You're pushing a heavy aerodynamic brick at warp speed.
It's never gonna be economical.

Or, but a H152, and a new H151 input shaft to suit the 6 cylinder and swap it over. Gearbox needs to be mostly dismantled to do this

The TT kit is for H150 @mudgudgeon - my research indicates you'd need the guts of the H150 rather than the H151. Mainshaft, Layshaft etc. are different part numbers unless I've read incorrectly.

The TT kit including a gearbox rebuild kit with bearings etc. is 2k in round figures plus labour.

A new H152 is $3300, but needs an input shaft swap and the input bearing retainer machined down to work behind a 1FZ/1HD-# etc. This is about 4.5 hours labor all up.

The other thing is, I had 33s/35s on any manual 1FZ vehicle I've owned (one N/A, 1 turbo) and I don't think it'd have the legs at 2k rpm to pull anything other than a mild hill, gets old shifting gears all the time on the highway. Unless it's got stock tyres, I'm not sure if @Brendon85 will see much benefit. The shorter first of the H150/152 is also nice with the bigger tyres.

The other thing is, I had 33s/35s on any manual 1FZ vehicle I've owned (one N/A, 1 turbo) and I don't think it'd have the legs at 2k rpm to pull anything other than a mild hill, gets old shifting gears all the time on the highway.

I found the same with my 1hd-t 80, and it was putting out a fair bit more poke than a stock one

Last edited:
my research indicates you'd need the guts of the H150 rather than the H151. Mainshaft, Layshaft etc. are different part numbers unless I've read incorrectly.

You are correct in that the H150 has a different layshaft, but the terrain tamer kit includes the new layshaft so i am pretty certain you can use a H151 donor.

You are correct in that the H150 has a different layshaft, but the terrain tamer kit includes the new layshaft so i am pretty certain you can use a H151 donor.
Hi,

Terrain Tamer tells me that there is no kit aside from a straight rebuild for the H151. 5th gear upgrade only for the H150 and H152.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom