VDJ79 H150 into HDJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Harrow - I haven’t clicked on every part number, however I think you’ve mostly got it covered, and more so. Mine hasn’t progressed as it’s not urgent enough to decommission our only car for the sake of a 100rpm or so. I’m also on 33s but my h151 sits behind an fte in what was an fzj105. So you’re planning on buy a brand new box from Toyota? I’m not 100% sure if you can swap out partial internals between h152/151/150. Either way much easier/safer to start with a whole 152 whether new or second hand. Then you need to ditch the bellhousing (you need one suited for any 1H* engine to H15* box). As you know you also need the bearing retainer, but as you’ll be using either a new or low km box you can reuse the main bearing, seal (well maybe not), circlip and needle bearings.

As you must have a gxl due to mentioning constant 4x4, you also need an H151 from an hdj100 or fzj105 (or maybe even a uzj100). This is because you need the shifter housing position - all other boxes put it in totally the wrong spot. Doesn’t matter if internals are tired as you only need the shift shafts although if the input shaft is good it’s another thing you don’t need to buy along with the bearinf (although maybe uzj shaft is different). You need to pull the entire gear assembly out of the casing to change the input shaft anyway so swapping cases is no more work.

don’t forgot to put the plug in the transfer input shaft when you swap the gears...

You don’t need to change any hydraulics - hzj slave is fine. The only people that say you need to swap are the ones that don’t bother adjusting the master cylinder rod clevis. You can use the hzj pressure plate but need to use a coaster or fzj friction plate. Unless you use an hzj80 input shaft then you can keep the hzj105 friction plate too

Last edited:
HDJ80 H151F into HZJ78 R151F 2001?
Since I do not have the opportunity to change the gearbox myself, I have a mechanic on that job.
Previously, switched from, 1HZ to 1HD FT engine.
The R151F failed. Splines between gearbox and xfer were striped. of.
The mechanic says there is no room for the H151F instead of the R151F. He says there is no room for the bottom of the cabin.
Raising the cabin above the chassis is not an option.
Has Toyota made more room to mount the H151F?

Problem with regular mechanics is they don’t know the ins and outs of various landcruiser models, gearbox’s and engines - they’re not swapping this stuff every day just fixing. He’s wrong about there not being room - ask him how it fits in an hdj78 (same gearbox essentially as the 80 series one), the body is the same. Only issue is the stick is in a fractionally different spot so you need to cut the steel tunnel a bit.

Only issue is the TC. I don’t know how that ancient (60 series) TC adapts to the H15* box... every other cruiser I’m aware of that uses an H15* box uses a different transfer.

I have done pretty much this exact swap though - it was in an hzj79 (same body forward of behind the front doors). All went very smoothly, but I got a low km box with TC (off a vdj79) from a wrecker so didn’t have to muck around with it it all bolted straight in. Just used the hdj79 rubber mount

Last edited:
1.)
In that car, I would like the full-time 80 transfer, modified to part-time.
With an electric way to switch between high - low gear. Neutral I don't need.
Thus, I only need one gear rod, which leaves room for everyday things. It's super when I stay in the car months at a time on overland trips.

2.)
In my project car VolToy, I need the absolutely shortest combination of gearboxes from the engine to the output flange to the rear axles.
So suggestions for a short combination are welcome.
I prefer H152F-HF1A with all the OD that can be found.
Axle gear is 7.56: 1, thus OD is needed.
Alternative gearboxes must be completely plastic-free. Since the car will be used in -50C.

3.)
When I look at HF1A with electric 4X4 and HF2A.
I can hardly ignore the fact that it seems possible to take the rear shield from HF1A and mount on HF2A.
It will give a shorter gear combination.
Someone who has both gearboxes and can look at it?

That all depends on what the H150f is out of and what its going back into. The H150f out of a 1hz 80 series has small input shaft, fine spline. The H150f out of a HDJ79 has the larger input, coarse 14 spline. The H150f out of a VDJ79 has the same coarse spline as the HDJ but is longer in length.

If your asking if the H152f can into say a HDJ79, yes it can but you will need the bellhousing, front bearing retainer and input shaft from said HDJ79 H150f box.
Hi guys new to this forum and really out of my depth here.... I’m sorry if I’ve interrupted this post.... I’m winging everything atm!!!!
I saw this post and I’m desperate for info!! I’ve got a 105 cruiser with a manual 1hz in her... I’ve decided to put the 1hdft engine in and I’ve been told the r150 gearbox won’t last long as they are a weaker box!!! Then other info from people say the 1hz box will be ok!! 😩 I will be travelling up Northern Territory and I don’t want to risk blowing the box up... My question is.. can the gearbox and transfer case from a turbo vdj79 bolt up to the replacement 1hdft??? Are the earlier models the H151F??? And later the h152? Able to be fitted and If so which is easier to fit and how much drama is it? As I’m struggling to find a box from a 80 or 100 series Landcruiser! Bare with my limited understanding guys.. I’m a machine operator, I break em someone else fixes em😂

Where are you located?

Yes, you can fit a VDJ gearbox to a 1HDT engine IF you swap the input shaft (so you either need to buy a new input shaft from Toyota ($700+ in Aus) import one from Dubai (around $450-500 plus a few week delay) or find a suitable 80 series H150/H151 donar gearbox. To swap the input shafts takes around a day depending what you do... I also find it a good time to rebuild the transfer case and fit a part time kit. So sorta depends what your budget is and how quickly you need it done.

Where are you located?

Yes, you can fit a VDJ gearbox to a 1HDT engine IF you swap the input shaft (so you either need to buy a new input shaft from Toyota ($700+ in Aus) import one from Dubai (around $450-500 plus a few week delay) or find a suitable 80 series H150/H151 donar gearbox. To swap the input shafts takes around a day depending what you do... I also find it a good time to rebuild the transfer case and fit a part time kit. So sorta depends what your budget is and how quickly you need it done.
Awesome I appreciate your time to reply! That clarifies things some what... I’m sth of mandurah WA buddy..... Need motor gearbox in ASAP as I havent got a car and I want to be up north before Xmas.to see my eldest then NT if borders open.. Budget doesn’t really matter as I’ve blown that out of the water😂😂 I figure the only thing worse than dropping dead... would be, dropping dead with money in the bank anyway!🙈😂 I’ve come this far and I want to do it right..I’m not gay but I need to be able to rely on her🤷‍♀️. I chose the 1hdft over Fte as If I’m up north and something mechanical goes wrong.... I have half a chance of working it out.. Fault codes out bush by myself I don’t need! Copy workshop won’t help me out there!😂 I just finished sound deadening...rust around windscreen gets cut out this week! Going to replace front rear seals on motor all belts new water pump.. I’d say a fuel pump service.... I did hear that fuel lines should be replaced for right size...maybe injectors??? (Advice appreciated) ?👌 I would of liked to have upgraded the box to lower rpm.. 5th gear for highway driving.. but I just want to get her back on the road as I still have to get a tray and canopy sorted as she’s chopped! If I was working with dirt this would be easy...😂😂 🤷‍♀️ Top priority is really to find a gearbox which seem to be rare as, or loads of k’s on them...and someone to pull out and put in motor/box.. there does seem to be a fair few later model vdj’s being wrecked with low k’s in areas....Then to source someone.that knows what they are doing and I can trust. Ive got all tools etc and a cashy for someone would be ideal at home , but If I have to transport I will.. I’ve asked around mandurah and no one I’ve called has done these conversions! Or knows of anyone that does local! 🤷‍♀️ Im very grateful for any advice given from yourself or anyone with knowledge and or experience! So thank-you very much for your help👌👍....so much false and confusing info out there... 😩 I’m hoping to have my ole girl until this ole girl has to hang up her 4x4 boots! But until then I’m going to go hard until I find a home 😂😂😂 Thanks again Buddy👍

Thanks wedgetail...
I’m leaning towards the h152 as I can pick one up cheap with only 90 k on it... I’ve been reading al of yours and others previous posts so eventually I will be a full quid on what I need to source for conversion. I appreciate the sharing of knowledge. Someone needs to write a book on cruiser conversions for dummies😂 They will make a fortune👌 Cheers

Im in the middle installing a vdj76 box into a 1991 hzj80.
Ive pulled both boxes down and removed the input shafts, the bearing on the 80 series box is smaller in diameter and 4.5mm narrower than the 76 series input shaft bearing.
This means I need to use the main case from the 80 series box aswell as the input shaft, bearing and bearing retainer.

I wonder if the early 80 boxes had the smaller bearing or if there all the same? Every thing I read about doing this swap said I could press the bearing of the 76 series input shaft and use it on the 80 series input shaft (the 80 series box has 550,000km so I dont want to re-use the bearing), but I cant because its 4.5mm wider the snap ring wont go back on.
So now I have to go buy a new bearing tommorow and see if it will go back together using the 80 series main case.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Interesting, this goes against what I believe was the case. Doing some playing with part numbers it seems Toyota did change the bearing in 1992. However, the case, shaft, bearing retainer and snap ring were the same all the way through the HZJ80 time line. Like I think I mentioned earlier, I put an hzj80 input shaft into a VDJ79 box (this would be same PN as vdj76). I reused 79 bearing but bought a new bearing retainer, however I can’t remember what the PN was or what it was out of

Its strange, I went to terrain tamer to pick up a new input shaft bearing and the one they had when I arrived was the larger bearing (the same as the one in the VDJ box).

The guy at terrain tamer said he thinks he has seen the smaller bearing before in a 100 series gearbox?

It was going to take them a couple of days to get the bearing I needed, I ended up finding one at CBC bearings.

I just put it all back together with the new bearing and the 80 series case, bearing retainer and snap ring.

Its seems to all work ok on the bench, hopefully its all good when I put it back in the 80.

Interesting, this goes against what I believe was the case. Doing some playing with part numbers it seems Toyota did change the bearing in 1992. However, the case, shaft, bearing retainer and snap ring were the same all the way through the HZJ80 time line. Like I think I mentioned earlier, I put an hzj80 input shaft into a VDJ79 box (this would be same PN as vdj76). I reused 79 bearing but bought a new bearing retainer, however I can’t remember what the PN was or what it was out of
Do you know the part number for the h151f input shaft?? I'm trying to piece together a manual conversion for my 1hdt 80 series. I have a h151f flywheel and pressure plate and am on the hunt for a box. But like already mentioned the h152 is more common, Less kms and cheaper. So I am co sidering the h152 box and switching the input shaft for the h151 but need the part number.

Do you know the part number for the h151f input shaft?? I'm trying to piece together a manual conversion for my 1hdt 80 series. I have a h151f flywheel and pressure plate and am on the hunt for a box. But like already mentioned the h152 is more common, Less kms and cheaper. So I am co sidering the h152 box and switching the input shaft for the h151 but need the part number.
I wouldn’t say the h152 is more common or cheaper (the h150 is by far the most common and cheapest), but certainly the best assuming you have the torque to handle the tall 5th (which the stock vdj with 3.9s definitely does not). Part no for a 14 spline shaft (ie factory turbo) is 33301-60060

I wouldn’t say the h152 is more common or cheaper (the h150 is by far the most common and cheapest), but certainly the best assuming you have the torque to handle the tall 5th (which the stock vdj with 3.9s definitely does not). Part no for a 14 spline shaft (ie factory turbo) is 33301-60060
What Toyota dealer in Australia do you recommend for sourcing the H152?
Thanks

HDJ80 H151F into HZJ78 R151F 2001?
Since I do not have the opportunity to change the gearbox myself, I have a mechanic on that job.
Previously, switched from, 1HZ to 1HD FT engine.
The R151F failed. Splines between gearbox and xfer were striped. of.
The mechanic says there is no room for the H151F instead of the R151F. He says there is no room for the bottom of the cabin.
Raising the cabin above the chassis is not an option.
Has Toyota made more room to mount the H151F?

As others say, it absolutely fits. 80’s came with H150/151 and the H152 is the same size only internals changed.

2CC50D03-7577-4DBD-BB71-AEAE0CAA6AE1.jpeg

The shifter is different 78/79 to 80 though. The 80 has a bit of a bend in it while the 79 shifter is straight.

Cheers

What Toyota dealer in Australia do you recommend for sourcing the H152?
Thanks
I don’t - amayama or partsouq would be the first place to start. Otherwise just pick a dealer, no sure how they’d go shipping it to Canada though. Don Kyatt could be an option - they’re terrain tamer but sell genuine transmission parts cheaper than Toyota trade prices so might be worth a shot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom