VDJ76 into Canada next year? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Threads
I love my tuned up LJ78, but have had it for 10 years now and am thinking of something newer. I really like 70 series wagons, and would love to upgrade from the slow/hot old IDI tech of the 1HZ/1PZ/2LTE/1KZTE era. 1VD-FTV is a modern common rail diesel that can run circles around the old IDI motors.

Old 90's HZJ77 and KZJ78's in good shape with low km's seem to be fetching around $35,000-45,000CAD. :bang: For nearly the same price I could bring in a 10-15 year newer VDJ76 from Australia. Seems like a bit of a no brainer going for a newer model? :meh:

Has anyone else in Canada looked into or thought about the viability of bringing in a VDJ76? Seems one could be had for about $40,000CAD (plus transport/tax). Seems like a lot of money, but it's no more than a same year 200 series landcruiser here, or just 30% more than a low km Tundra/Tacoma for example....

Something like this maybe?

Last edited:
Never looked into getting a newer cruiser but I have thought about it. It sounds like a good idea but I would have to sell mine first to pay for the new one. And then, who knows. Might regret selling it or can’t find a newer one for a decent price

I love my tuned up LJ78, but have had it for 10 years now and am thinking of something newer. I really like 70 series wagons, and would love to upgrade from the slow/hot old IDI tech of the 1HZ/1PZ/2LTE/1KZTE era. 1VD-FTV is a modern common rail diesel that can run circles around the old IDI motors.

Old 90's HZJ77 and KZJ78's in good shape with low km's seem to be fetching around $35,000-45,000CAD. :bang: For nearly the same price I could bring in a 10-15 year newer VDJ76 from Australia. Seems like a bit of a no brainer going for a newer model? :meh:

Has anyone else in Canada looked into or thought about the viability of bringing in a VDJ76? Seems one could be had for about $40,000CAD (plus transport/tax). Seems like a lot of money, but it's no more than a same year 200 series landcruiser here, or just 30% more than a low km Tundra/Tacoma for example....

Something like this maybe?

Go ahead and get it so your neighbors to the south can sit around being jealous. 😊

A VDJ76 is 1000% better than a LJ78. Starting with the engine.
I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that the 76 Series was powered by the 1HZ up until the introduction of the V8?

I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that the 76 Series was powered by the 1HZ up until the introduction of the V8?
Not sure but it looks like the VDJ76 was only offered in Australia in 2007. The middle east only got the HZJ76 or the FZJ76. I didn't check later years. I would take a LHD FZJ76 in a heartbeat......but I don't live in Canada.

Last edited:
A VDJ76 is 1000% better than a LJ78. Starting with the engine.

It's also literally 1000% more expensive than what I paid for my LJ78! :lol:

For the record, I'd agree the 1VD is 10x better than a 2LT. The rest of the vehicle isn't that substantially different though. The full floater rear would be nice, and bigger fuel tank? Rest seems pretty similar for all intents and purposes. In fact I might even miss the LJ rear coils.

Not sure but it looks like the VDJ76 was only offered in Australia in 2007. The middle east only got the HZJ76 or the FZJ76. I didn't check later years. I would take a LHD FZJ76 in a heartbeat......but I don't live in Canada.

It's too bad the VDJ76 didn't become LHD until 2017 or so. I have to wait another 11 years for one of those. They do seem to be available in central america. Could drive one home! (actually not sure it's possible through some of those countries...)

Being that I daily drive my cruiser, not sure I could live with 1FZ fuel economy. Been spoiled by great diesel mileage for too long now. That and diesel is consistently cheaper than gas where I live. Tempting idea though.

The Canadian import law is 15 years, correct?

Yes, that is right. It's from date of manufacture to the month, so if a 2007 model VDJ76 was built before July 2006, then in theory we could start to bring them in now....

Yes, that is right. It's from date of manufacture to the month, so if a 2007 model VDJ76 was built before July 2006, then in theory we could start to bring them in now....
Is there any parts support for the V8 in Canada? Are the mines using the engine?

Is there any parts support for the V8 in Canada? Are the mines using the engine?

Likely not; mines still use the 1HZ I believe. For myself I'm not that worried, as I order everything offshore (Japan usually) anyhow.

Australian models in the 7* series were all v8 after 07. These are a single turbo compared to the 200 series with twin turbos.

We didn't get the 4-door wagon till the V8 came, but you could get HDJ78 troopy and HDJ79 with a 136kw non intercooled 1HD-FTE

but you could get HDJ78 troopy and HDJ79 with a 136kw non intercooled 1HD-FTE

Maybe the best of the best. They go for as much as a V8 if they are in good condition.

Maybe the best of the best. They go for as much as a V8 if they are in good condition.
I read on some of the Aussie forums where guys are getting some wicked horsepower out of the V8’s. 😊

Personally, I'd take the FTE over the VD, it's a lot more drivable and better on fuel in my experience. The V8 sounds mint though

I read on some of the Aussie forums where guys are getting some wicked horsepower out of the V8’s. 😊
It's proven itself to be a good engine and makes some serious power!

Personally, I'd take the FTE over the VD, it's a lot more drivable and better on fuel in my experience. The V8 sounds mint though

It's really too bad the 1HDFTE never came in the 70 series four door wagons. I'd go for one of those if they did. I suppose a person could buy a HZJ76 and swap the FTE over. But I think that would get up into the same cost region as the VDJ76? Or more?

Is the 1VDFTV worse on fuel because of the emissions equipment (particulate filter etc.)? Wonder how they are with all that deleted and a re-tune? It's common to do that here in North America on our pick-up diesels, and usually gains them better mpg (and more power).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom