VDJ76 into Canada next year? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's really too bad the 1HDFTE never came in the 70 series four door wagons. I'd go for one of those if they did. I suppose a person could buy a HZJ76 and swap the FTE over. But I think that would get up into the same cost region as the VDJ76? Or more?

Is the 1VDFTV worse on fuel because of the emissions equipment (particulate filter etc.)? Wonder how they are with all that deleted and a re-tune? It's common to do that here in North America on our pick-up diesels, and usually gains them better mpg (and more power).
Mine was a Pre-DPF truck, dpf started in 2016 along with H152 and a new chassis etc for the single cab to achieve 5-star safety rating, and H152 transmission.

You could get a HZJ76 and put an FTE in it, that would be perfect. I Assume Japan etc got a HZJ76?

On the fuel economy, I've always assumed the V8 has greater frictional losses than the 6 but I have no way to verify.

In my honest opinion, the 1VD-FTV is underrated. It has proven to be very reliable, keep the bad fuel and dust out of it and it will last very well. When you have 2 more cylinders and an extra .3L engine capacity, it is going to use slightly more fuel.

Also, the 1HD-FTE will never make the torque like the 1VD-FTV will. Here we say the 1VD-FTV has a torque plateau.

DPF was September 2016 on. Also at the same time the H152 gearbox was used.

s the 1VDFTV worse on fuel because of the emissions equipment (particulate filter etc.)?

There was a road test recently and they were getting 11/100klms towing a small trailer. A 1HD T can barely get close to that unladen

There was a road test recently and they were getting 11/100klms towing a small trailer. A 1HD T can barely get close to that unladen
Interesting - my VDJ79 got a consistent 13L/100 empty (35s, big bar, fairly heavy tray) wheras my HDJ80 got high 11s to low 12s. Had a HDJ79 on the dyno and owner reported 11s on highway.

What year was the 79 that was tested @roscoFJ73 - wondering if it had the H152 Gearbox?

You also have the GRJ76 that exist. Available in LHD and probably close to the 15 years mark.
Good engine, reliable, nice to drive, parts available in NA, good on fuel economy for a petrol.

I'm not sure there ever was a FZJ76, I think the 76 appeared at the moment the 1FZ was replaced by the 1GR. If they exist they must be rare and just 1 or 2 year production.

I believe J76 appeared in 2007 to replace the J105 that wasn't getting an equivalent in the 200 series.

Last edited:
You also have the GRJ76 that exist. Available in LHD and probably close to the 15 years mark.
Good engine, reliable, nice to drive, parts available in NA, good on fuel economy for a petrol.

I'm not sure there ever was a FZJ76, I think the 76 appeared at the moment the 1FZ was replaced by the 1GR. If they exist they must be rare and just 1 or 2 year production.

I believe J76 appeared in 2007 to replace the J105 that wasn't getting an equivalent in the 200 series.

Hello,

There were a few FZJ76s from 2007 to 2009-2010, when the 1FZ engine was discontinued.

Middle East and South America, probably.

How time has passed.

Juan

Privately owned and well maintained V8 7* series are scarce. Most of the cheaper ones will be ex miners. Not all of them are bad, many mines have strict driving and maintenance procedures, but have still been operating their vehicles in harsh conditions all their lives.
For the price, I would fly here and choose one myself (when the pandemic flight restrictions are lifted).

Last edited:
Privately owned and well maintained V8 7* series are scarce. Most of the cheaper ones will be ex miners. Not all of them are bad, many mines have strict driving and maintenance procedures, but have still been operating in harsh conditions all their lives.
For the price, I would fly here and choose one myself (when the pandemic flight restrictions are lifted).
I could certainly see that for the 79 Series but is that also the case for the 76 Series?

I could certainly see that for the 79 Series but is that also the case for the 76 Series?
Hello,

From what I have seen, Australian 76 Series are sold as work vehicles.

Chances are they live hard lives there.

And quite likely, well-maintained ones are firmly attached to their owners.

Juan

but is that also the case for the 76 Series?
All the 7* series sold in Australia are used in mining, but probably not so much for the troopy unless it has forward facing rear seats.

A "demining' project for a 76, see parts that follow also. He has a good one, but these are harder to find. That crap inside the frame is common.

1GR-FE V6 + TRD Supercharger = perfect.

Privately owned and well maintained V8 7* series are scarce. Most of the cheaper ones will be ex miners. Not all of them are bad, many mines have strict driving and maintenance procedures, but have still been operating their vehicles in harsh conditions all their lives.

Hello,

From what I have seen, Australian 76 Series are sold as work vehicles.

Chances are they live hard lives there.

And quite likely, well-maintained ones are firmly attached to their owners.

Juan

These comments are very helpful, thank-you. If clean VDJ76 are really hard to find in Australia, maybe I had best look at other options. It's going to be a while before I'd have a chance to go there and look for the right truck in person. Traveling there increases the cost overhead a lot. By the time I travel there, have the vehicle shipped, pay the tax man, importation fees, etc., I think I'll be substantially over my budget.

As I like LJ78's and just want a better engine for towing, maybe I'll look at the various swap options instead. 15BFTE might be the ticket.

My local dealer hasnt had a shipment of new Landcruisers for months. Im not sure if it covid related or not, but if other dealers are waiting for landcruisers, then the price of used models will also rise. My mate bought a used 200 series V8 diesel with 200000klms on the odo last year. He has been offered more than he paid for it.

There is a gentleman occasionally on ‘MUD that has a petrol 76 Series ( I believe the engine is very similar to what’s in the Tacoma). He is out west somewhere (Arizona or New Mexico).

what a cool job to be driving one of these around

still lots down this way, seen a few at local dealership in Pukekohoe , and with the housing shortage down here all the rich builders are buying up 70 series like hotcakes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom