Vapor Lock... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jamesurq

Reefmonkey
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
reefmonkey.com
Anyone else experiencing this lately with the high temps?

I'm running an external fuel pump on a TBI motor which certainly doesn't help. It has a fuel return line and it's pumping more psi than it needs, which helps. Seems like I'm fine if the tank is above half full since it's recirculating the hot petrol back into the tank, and if there's enough of it, it stays cool.

Unfortunately, I can't reliably keep the tank full - so a long highway drive turns into massive stumbles when I slow to a stop.. I've got reflective heat tape on the pump - and I'm going to wrap the fuel line under the hood as well.

Aside from paying a bunch of money to have an in-tank fuel pump put in, any suggestions?

What's your fuel pressure at?? On a GM tbi vapor lock can happen more often when it isn't getting the minimum pressure.

Return line goes back to the tank or is it tee'd back into the supply line?

How close are your lines to the exhaust?

Oh and I had to add this for @JohnVee before he beats me to it.

1304369.gif

It may just be a question of wrapping the lines all the way to the motor.

Pretty close to the exhaust al, but that gets hot quick this is more of an hour on the road type heat. Like transmission tunnel, or in the engine compartment.

Fuel pressure should be about 15psi according to the pump specs. Need 8-12psi if I remember correctly. So ‘enough’. the return is directly plumbed into the tbi.

I thought you said your return was going back to the tank?

shiny foil tape isnt magic, if its right next to the exhaust id move it if possible.

An inline pressure guage will tell you if your pump is working to ‘spec’

It may also be directly related to the location of your fuel pump as well. I ran an exterior pump on the first couple swaps and they became problems. I moved to in tank pumps and the problems went away.

The pumps are not designed to have to "pull" fuel far, they are designed to push fuel. Your pump may be showing signs of wear and getting warm itself. If it has a pre filter (it should) it may be somewhat restricted adding to the problem.

Moving the pump to the tank is not all that hard, just time consuming and you have to drop the tank. My guess is that the stock fuel lines were retained as well. If so I would replace them.

PSI is low enough, you might be able to swap in a FJ62 fuel pump and be fine. Don't know if the FJ62 fuel pump assembly will drop into a FJ60 tank, but it's worth a try.

FJ62 fuel pump would be more then sufficient for a TBI 350. The FJ62 pump hanger/mount would be good to use as it would put the pickup at the right height in the tank. It drops into the tank after you drill a big hole for it drop in through... The 60 tank has the protrusion on the top where you would need to drill a big hole and some bolt holes.

It may just be a question of wrapping the lines all the way to the motor.

Pretty close to the exhaust al, but that gets hot quick this is more of an hour on the road type heat. Like transmission tunnel, or in the engine compartment.

Fuel pressure should be about 15psi according to the pump specs. Need 8-12psi if I remember correctly. So ‘enough’. the return is directly plumbed into the tbi.

should be isn't what it actually is.

Checke the PSI..... that pump could be going bad and this is its way as showing you... or as Stan said it could be too far away from the tank.

The return line isn't going to the tank?

I think the in-tank pump is the definite long term solution - it's how the TBI is supposed to be fed. Yeah the pump may be going bad, it certainly is loud when the tank is less than half full - but it's a walbro they're all loud.

Return line is definitely going to the tank.

Maybe that's why Diesel is so prevelant in the desert countries.... Sucks that you are having vapor lock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom