Value help with a Tacoma please. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a quick question, I'm super interested in buying my dads Tacoma from him but struggling on what he could realistically get for it if he went to sell it along with how much I should tell him I would give him. Here are the specs on the truck. He did get it while I was big into my Land Cruisers and had 40s and 80s as well as a 100 at the time so he bought with my advice in mind.

2005 TRD Crew Cab with 141,000 miles
Rear Locker
Tow Package
ARB Front bumper

He's been good about servicing it the only thing I think he's done wrong there is Royal Purple in the rear end. Otherwise it's been maintained mechanically.

Issues are, body has some little dings, clear coat on flares is flaking off, paint is scratched and has never been waxed. He's rough on interiors so it's stained with coffee, hasn't been cleaned in 5 or so years and there's a fair sized hole in the drivers seat. It had a ding in the front and was repaired but not great so you can see a little orange peal and the aftermarket headlight isn't holding up well. The horn doesn't work but the cruise does, AC has a leak that needs addressing eventually. I think that's about all that I can think of.

I want him to come out alright but I know these hold their value well so they may not be the best purchase for me. What do you think he would realistically get for it listing it on Craigslist? How about if he spent $500 on it and got it all detailed and addressed the issues at hand?

Thanks for the help and input :)

Wow, what happened to Mud? A decade ago it was a thriving community and now it seems to be a ghost town. The web has changed a lot, I'm sure many of the old timers are over it and have moved on to other things but this is such a different experience now. I have two posts and no responses, once upon a time there would have been price debating, banter, some wit and humor and maybe even a valid response or two.

Mud is still alive and well just not in the newer model Tacoma area… TacomaWorld is the place to be for most Tacoma owners. I just don't like TacomaWorld as much and the community here is pretty amazing.

As for your question, I'll just throw a number out there I'd ask 18K for it after it's been detailed and the A/C fixed. You can always go down in price but you definitely can't go up once its up for sale. We paided 17K for ours a year ago and it's not a TRD nor does it have a locker but it is an 09 with all the newer little features like backup camera, aux port, side airbags, etc… (Not to mention we spent 4 months trying to find one!)

If you're in the market for a Taco then I'd get that one from your father because the Devil you know is better than the Devil you don't. You know what the issues are with this Taco but buying a used one you never know what you could get.

That makes complete sense, at the time I had about a half dozen Cruisers and the community was the go to for us but I guess it would stand to reason that as this group tried to expand other groups popped up to fill those niches.

Thanks for the advise though this is a family deal so I'm trying to get a sense of what it would really sell for not the upper end of the potential asking price.

Yeah I had the same thoughts when I bought the Taco and came to this part of Mud. But I still like this community a lot more than Tacoworld. They just seem a little more real and less like keyboard commando's.

As for your father's Taco, that was my 2 cents and it's definitely worth what you paid for it :D

Thanks for the responses to Yota, I went over there to Tacoworld and it was super helpful and got my head a little clearer on what I wanted to do. Great guys and a great community if you have a Tacoma. I'm old and set in my ways, I guess this site just felt like the place to be but maybe it really is just the home of the Cruiser as I remember it. I sold and bought more than a couple on here :)

Thanks for the responses to Yota, I went over there to Tacoworld and it was super helpful and got my head a little clearer on what I wanted to do. Great guys and a great community if you have a Tacoma. I'm old and set in my ways, I guess this site just felt like the place to be but maybe it really is just the home of the Cruiser as I remember it. I sold and bought more than a couple on here :)

Ttora used to be a great resource for the 95-04 tacos. It kinda died when the new models came out in 05 and I think the grumpy old timers scared off all the new people for years by being rude

Still might be a good place to catch one forsale

Yeah I had the same thoughts when I bought the Taco and came to this part of Mud. But I still like this community a lot more than Tacoworld. They just seem a little more real and less like keyboard commando's.

As for your father's Taco, that was my 2 cents and it's definitely worth what you paid for it :D

I'm in the same boat have been active on Mud for more than a decade with cruisers I have a pair of 40's and I drove an 80 for 10 years. In 2015 I bought a nephews 13 model 4Dr TRDOR to get him out of a bind with a plan to build it for Overland use. I do research on TacomaWorld but don't say much most of that crowd is much younger and in a different place in life no offense they're just not on the same page or thought process. I'm not interested in halo lights and a light bars everywhere I can put one. That said I do find some useful info there just don't have the help, knowledge and trust I came to know here on mud. Our club used Mud for everything back in the day when the Mud app went away most of our traffic went to the Facebook group page. Still come here to see whats going on and look at different builds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom