Vacuum 14" Hg at idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
F1.5 with fresh rebuilt carb. I have timing set at approximately 10 degrees advance, and valve tolerances seem ok. I'm at sea level. No vacuum leaks. Is this vacuum reading acceptable or a sign of other problems? Anything I can do other than adjusting carb to increase the vacuum? Thanks!

18hg would be a good goal. A really good engine at sea level with 10* of advance should see close to 20hg. Oh with idle at 650

Last edited:
@Curt would a lower than 20 number be acceptable at a mile high? 5300 ft. Or should the vacuum pressure he higher than 20 at a mile high. My 2F that runs excellent and was rebuilt in 2013 typically runs at 16-17 at idle 650rpm at 5300ft. Thanks for your input, Tom👍

Anything I can do other than adjusting carb to increase the vacuum? Thanks!

Yes. Advance your timing while watching the vacuum. Many people (like me) set timing by vacuum more than a light. Advance timing until best vacuum then back off a little, more if you start pinging under acceleration.

would a lower than 20 number be acceptable at a mile high?

I am not Curt, But, in my experience your vacuum numbers will decrease with higher altitudes. Lower atmospheric pressure=less ability to generate vacuum. I only pull about 15"Hg at idle at 5300ft altitude, but my engine is 10 years older than yours...

The amount of crusted oil that is on top of my intake valves is silly. That is going to be hard to clean without pulling the head. I had an engine in storage which seemed to clean-up with a year of exposure to Marvel Mystery oil dripping down the valve stem - it fell off in huge chunks upon disassembly.

I got my valve stem seals renewed - no more burning oil at startup, but, I can't imagine how the old crusty oil wouldn't restrict air flow, and reduce vacuum. I tightened up my valve lash and got better vacuum - if nothing else, to account for wear between the valve and the arm that is about a .003" step that prevents accurate lash settings.

Are your plugs clean? Do you have compression numbers?

@Curt would a lower than 20 number be acceptable at a mile high? 5300 ft. Or should the vacuum pressure he higher than 20 at a mile high. My 2F that runs excellent and was rebuilt in 2013 typically runs at 16-17 at idle 650rpm at 5300ft. Thanks for your input, Tom👍

The higher the altitude the lower the Hg. Your numbers are fine, at 3600ft i get about 18Hg. You can compensate a bit with more advance. If it runs good leave it and drive. :beer:

Yes. Advance your timing while watching the vacuum. Many people (like me) set timing by vacuum more than a light. Advance timing until best vacuum then back off a little, more if you start pinging under acceleration.
Regardless of how advance you are, and not pinging on acceleration? I’ve gone to 30-deg advance with vacuum still increasing and no pinging on acceleration.

Regardless of how advance you are, and not pinging on acceleration? I’ve gone to 30-deg advance with vacuum still increasing and no pinging on acceleration.
Yes. Good. Drive it around for a while 30* BTDC and see what you think. Maybe, just for fun, see where your vac peaks with more advance, at a slow idle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom