Vacum diff locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all , can someone please identify this locker I have on the rear of my 78 fj45 please. I have looked around with not much luck. It operates from engine vacum,mounted on left hand side of center and has an odd axle on left hand side. The switch under dash. Works really well with no issues but the spline on flange to hub is not 100% but still have plenty of life left. My reason for asking is that I couldn't remove the axle when I redone the bearings, seals and brakes and a little worried if I carried a spare std axle on a long, far out trip it wouldn't help me if my splines failed. The flange also looks very similar to the front flange on the full time 80 series that could get me going again. I have made a bash gaurd for the solenoid cause it look vulnerable in front of housing and the solenoid mount is only alloy so I hope it doesn't affect the identification of locker. Cheers.

20161208_203504.jpg

20161208_203423.jpg

20161208_213802.jpg

I don't know if I'm wrong but could only find picks of them on right hand side of center but the axle flange looks like a toyota for sure. Cool idea to use vacume instead of having pumps and wiring.

It's an fj with a H 3.6 diesel in her soon to be 2h because of factory ps and ac I just picked up. Will miss the good economic gutless H lol. Just need to figure out how to mount the steel bellhousing to the 2h (stater clearance issue).

The locker appears to be some sort of home brew activated with an air switch, which in this case is switching engine vacuum.

Which splines are worn? If it's the drive flanges, those are available and can just be replaced.

Mainly in the flange, just retentioned my wheel bearings after about 2 years but not many ks maybe 10,000 klm and the splines haven't got any worse. I thought they looked the same as toyota. Hope they did a good job with the home brew locker lol. Would be keen to see how they did it, I'm guessing just a longer inner splin axle with dog clutch outboard of carrier.

Linear actuator

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom