V8 Troopy in Washington (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

goodtwin

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey! My wife and I passed a rad V8 Troopy in Washington today on our back to Seattle. We were driving back from the east side in my diesel 86 HJ60.
We were driving back from Eastern Washington and saw a pop top outfitted Troopy in my rear view mirror. I slowed down and we all exchanged waves. Ha!

Anyway, I wonder who that was and I just wanted to say hello and that it inspired my wife because I've been telling her about troopies and that there are better Land Cruisers out there besides my HJ60. Heheh.
Also! From the V8 badge on the rear and the hood and front clip, it would appear to be a more modern troopy than, say 1995. Curious about the troopy and the owners.

Most likely RHD. LHD did not come out until January 2017 and only for the GCC market.

probably tourists. did you get the license plate? right hand drive or left hand drive? Australia first got the V8's.
Most likely RHD. LHD did not come out until January 2017 and only for the GCC market.

It was LHD. The gal in the right hand passenger seat did NOT appear to be driving but I was trying to drive and at the same time scoping their cruiser. Haha.
I just asked my wife for verification (because I was drooling over the Cruiser) and we both agreed that the right side passenger appeared to not have a steering wheel in her hands.
The fella in the left hand seat was driving.

I did scope the license plate. I vaguely thought it appeared to be from the southwest (maybe Arizona or New Mexico).
My guess is maybe it’s GCC or maybe he or she is ex state department and imported their vehicle. Is that possible?

I could be incorrect about the license plate.
As soon as they passed me, I was fixated on that V8 badge, but the license plate DID appear to be USA

It was LHD. The gal in the right hand passenger seat did NOT appear to be driving but I was trying to drive and at the same time scoping their cruiser. Haha.
I just asked my wife for verification (because I was drooling over the Cruiser) and we both agreed that the right side passenger appeared to not have a steering wheel in her hands.
The fella in the left hand seat was driving.

I did scope the license plate. I vaguely thought it appeared to be from the southwest (maybe Arizona or New Mexico).
My guess is maybe it’s GCC or maybe he or she is ex state department and imported their vehicle. Is that possible?

The only legal way a genuine VDJ78 could be driven in the US is as a temporary import foreign tourist vehicle.

The only legal way a genuine VDJ78 could be driven in the US is as a temporary import foreign tourist vehicle.

That’s what I figured as well.
I guess that musta been what it was. It was very clear that they were traveling with an expedition equipped Jeep as well. Both vehicles did NOT strike me as having foreign plates.
Coulda sworn their license plate was Arizona....

That’s what I figured as well.
I guess that musta been what it was. It was very clear that they were traveling with an expedition equipped Jeep as well. Both vehicles did NOT strike me as having foreign plates.
Coulda sworn their license plate was Arizona....
It could have been @LandCruiserPhil who is connected with Maltec. Maybe it was an 80 series chassis underneath?

The owner of this truck is Ernesto, with Overland the Americas. One of the nicest guys I know and we were stoked to be able to do some work on his truck recently.

The truck is indeed a Dubai market LHD 2019 VDJ78 with a trip permit as he is planning to do the panamerica trip.
He also has dual citizenship in USA and Venezuela where it is registered.

7A930DE5-9405-4D6B-BC83-BB3710FCB3A3.jpeg

The owner of this truck is Ernesto, with Overland the Americas. One of the nicest guys I know and we were stoked to be able to do some work on his truck recently.

The truck is indeed a Dubai market LHD 2019 VDJ78 with a trip permit as he is planning to do the panamerica trip.
He also has dual citizenship in USA and Venezuela where it is registered.
That is a bad-A Troopy. Now we only have to wait another 20yrs to import one here.

What’s the silver metal covering the bottom of the door? Just decoration or some practical aspect?

Hey! Yeah, I'm a little late to see the mystery solved with a picture and who the owner is. I just popped in here to post up what I found out as well, and saw that you guys had already figured it out a couple days ago.

Just yesterday, I was just driving by on the Ballard Bridge here in Seattle and just so happened to look down at the Adventure Ready parking lot.
There was the Cruiser that I had seen last year on the East side of Washington.

Passenger Front VDJ78.jpg

I flipped around and took a couple pictures. Same one. From Venezuela. State of Miranda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom