uzj brake pads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
just went searching back posts and cant find the part numbers for the front pads for a uzj series. I have a 92 80 and the little squeal strips are starting to whine so new brakes are in line. I recall the uzj frnt pads will work on my truck but do not recall the part numbers for these.
while I am at has anyone had any good experiences with non oem brake pads that I should consider? Just looking for some info and some opinions, not the aftermarket bashing. We all know 99% of aftermarket sucks.......
Dave :beer:

'Cept fort Performance Friction. One of my good friends dad's is the South Eastern Sales director for PF, they manufacture the TRD UZJ100 pads I believe. If yall want more info on them I will see what I can do.
Bailey

Dave,
I'm using Axiss front pads and they are wearing very well but they squeal more than I would like.

Using 100 series pads with your 92 is more of a problem than 93-97. They are much thicker than OEM pads for your FJ80. You cannot install them without grinding off some of the pad's braking surface, even without the anti-squeal shims.

-B-

-B-
;how would I go about grinding off some of the pads surface and maintaining an even plane across the pad. just curious if I am opening a large can of worms with this that might not be necesary. Perhaps I will order a standard set for the front as well jsut in case I can not get the uzj series to work.

Dave,
The way I have done it in the past is to put a piece of sandpaper on either a piece of steel plate or a piece of wood and rub the pad back and forth. I like doing it manually so I can get it just right.
Bill

Bill,
how much material are we talking about here? If it is ony a few mills I would think that would be ok but any more than that why bother?

Dave,
I don't know the thickness that needs to come off but that would be dependant on how close to spec your rotors are.

In my opinion, it would be worth using the 100 series pads. They have more surface area and improve the braking; at least they did on my '97.

Use Photoman's method and get them just the right thickness for your rotors.

-B-

Thanks all I should see the pads and fan cluthc on friday or monday and wil nlet you know how the install goes through.
Thanks again for all help.

just got my goodies for this one, for the record here goes.
front brake pads for 92 fj-80 type,04465-60020
front brake pads for 98 uzj, 04465-60151
for the next guy.

Holy s***e that was easy.
well intalling the standard pads was easy the uzj pads had some issues. the issue was not the pad thickness I could get those in just fine but the hight of the pad would have left about 1/16" of the pad backing rubbing against the rotor. I decided to just use the standard pads after all, will see how long they last. Not positive but pretty sure the po of the pig put soem aftermarket rotors on it.
as far as the easy part my boss showed me the lazy way to change pads.
1. remove spring clip from both retainer ends.
2. remove spcing clip form center.
3. compress pads against the calipers slightly
4. slide old pads out.
5. compress calipers into housing.( I used the old pads as a brace and a pair of slip joint pliers)
6. slide in new pads.
7 reattach clips and springs.
8 chack fluid level in cylinder as is probably overflowing by this point.
9. drink a beer.
Hey does this come close to beonese as a write up????

Dave,
Close. 'cept I can spell and you can't. :G
-B-

-B-
I have yet to master spell check.
oh weel nobodys perfect.

FavE,

Don't let the Wulf get you down, I find your recent posts to be much more readable :G

REgArdLEsS.........DaM :beer:

Echo,
No,

Fronts only..........................rears are a no-go.

That's funny that people on the 3rd gen 4runner site rave about Perf. friction pads. :) I'm using Porterfield R4s street pads (carbon/kevlar). Friction coeff is 4x more than stock, but cold braking isn't great. These are the same as the Wilwood D and E pads. They are rated from 0-1000 deg F, but even when cold at 60 F, braking isn't great. Once the rotors warm up or are hot (stop & go), braking is excellent. If you live where it gets << 50 F deg during winter all the time, I wouldn't dare use these types of performance pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom