Using Cool Cruisers' Poly Gas Tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.oldenorthstatecruisers.com
Was wondering if any one had done this swap and if, they could help me out in whether the fuel suction line was the line on the bottom of the original tank and that the return line was the line that was on the side of the original tank, i believe these are correct but wanted to get a second opinion, any one who might know feel free for feedback.

Thanks

Greg

Have you already bought it? If you haven't, don't. And if you have, get out the silicone.
I have one, and when the top is off it is fine, but as soon as I install either the hard top or full soft, I get light gas fumes. The sending unit does not seal well at all.
About your question- its been a year, but IIRC you're correct. Hook them up and see what happens. Can't hurt anything.

That's correct - I put one in mine about six months ago, just be sure not to tighten the sheetmetal screws around the sending unit too much. I drove around w/ a nut wrench and tweaked it until it stopped leaking ... but it was much warmer then with the top off! I ended up using my old sending unit since it still worked - then new one stayed on full forever and then dropped all the way to empty. A real pain when you dont have an odo. to guage :-\

Tucker74-Appreciate the feedback, i believed that was correct, but wanted to make sure and as for the sending unit i figured i wold use my old one as well, and that also i was going to try and use (2) gaskets instead of one, that way the seal might be a little better, i was wondering about the way it was going to seal, do to the poly material.

Greg

I used my old one as well. I never got the new one to line up properly. ???
I would not use two gaskets, the issue is with the lack of pressure that the sheetmetal screws can generate without stripping, two gaskets won't help. But definatly use liberal amounts of silicone.

Darn it. I just installed one of these tanks? They suck huh?

Any other problems with these that I should know before the seats go back in?

The consensus seems to be use liberal gobs of silicone around the sending unit seal.

Anything else?

mine has the tank from ccot on it and i havn't had any problems with it yet its also a few years old.

I have not heard anything good about these poly tanks, and given that you can still get a steel tank, and if properly taken care of, should last you a lifetime, I can not see a single reason to even entertain the idea of trying to make silicone seal gasoline, but..

Good luck!

-Steve

[quote author=FJ55partsBoise link=board=1;threadid=8425;start=msg72002#msg72002 date=1070679868]
Darn it. I just installed one of these tanks? They suck huh?

Any other problems with these that I should know before the seats go back in?

The consensus seems to be use liberal gobs of silicone around the sending unit seal.

Anything else?
[/quote]
I wouldn't say they suck, I just wish I hadn't bought one now, since it has sealing issues. I get really sick of the gas smell every time I open the door.
The only thing really wrong with them is the lack of a sufficient way to seal the fuel sender. They need some captured nuts on the other side, the sheetmetal screws just don't get tight enough
I'm going to try some of those clip nuts with real bolts so it will get tight and liberal amounts of silicone RTV with the gasket and see what that will do. Everything else on the tank is fine, so far as I can tell.
If I had a truck that was more of a trail truck or one that never got a full top put on, I probably wouldn't hesitate to save $100 and use one. Other than that I do not recommend them.

I have not installed the tank yet but i would say that, intially overtightening the sending unit screws could have started a issue as mentioned on the CCOT website, also, gas expands mostly in heat but i would fill the tank to the top once and see the limit the tank might have, then always keep a little less then the limit in it during fill ups, don't want to force gas out of the sending unit area....just an opinion without installation first, i will post more after install over the weekend.

I get gas small even on empty Didn't overtighted the fuel sender first time around, I made a specific note to self not to do this.
Good Luck!

well i hope something good comes out of this tank, i got the tank mainly cause i was looking to decrease weight on the vehicle, but overall i hope i didn't sacrifice one thing for another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom