Used oil undercoating? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gold Boy

🇨🇦 🇺🇸
SILVER Star
Threads
Just been thinking about my 74's used 13bt oil. Can you use used oil for undercoating?

Have chev truck which leaks a little oil, and undercoats at the same time there is no rust in the areas that gets the oil drips, so why not use it for under coat?

Yer I know its sounds messy and stinky? :doh:

:beer:

GB

That's old school undercoating. My step-dad used to have oil sprayed under his Ford F100 and then we would go tearing down dirt/gravel roads for an hour or so to get grit to bind with the oil and form a thick sludge underneath.

Note that we didn't have paved driveway, and that it dripped from various places until it got cold enough to thicken.

Me too

Just been going over all the suggestions for rust proofing myself boys. My 74 frame is in great shape (minus some surface rust) and I want to keep it that way. I bought POR-15, but decided against it. I think to use it properly, one would have to do a frame off including blasting, dipping, etc. (i know .. it SAYS you can paint right over the rust, but ...)

I bought a bulk can of Fluid Film yesterday. Gonna just clean up the under side, spray a thin coat of Tremclad for looks and spray the rust preventative every 3 months or so. It is supposedly non drip and will ofcourse end up with a layer of dust and dirt on it.

that's my 2 cents ...

While I have you two here .. got any cross-reference for Rancho add-a leafs for the 74? I am sure both of you were talking suspension fix ups in the past.

Any help would be appreciated (didn't mean to mess up the thread, sorry)

:grinpimp:

the rancho add-a-leaf is actualy a Jeep part number. i have been searching but no luck yet. there are 2 part nubers for the leafs i am thining of. i just can't remember which is which...

Kaoscruizer said:
(didn't mean to mess up the thread, sorry)

:grinpimp:

No problem, often when people mess up my thread, it turns out better lol :grinpimp:

GB

Edit .... On the subject of springs, if you can find a real good spring maker in your area with referances, you will be onto a good thing... Just my 2 cents

it is pricey! .. I think I am paying $75 CDN for the 1 gallon size. The 5 gallon pail is like $380!!! Probably goes a long ways. Check Acklands-Grainger, they usually stock it.

Kaoscruizer said:
it is pricey! .. I think I am paying $75 CDN for the 1 gallon size. The 5 gallon pail is like $380!!! Probably goes a long ways. Check Acklands-Grainger, they usually stock it.

Did you know that you can have the KROWN treatment done for about $150?

GB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom