Upstream o2 Sensor Issues - Intermittent P0135 error still present after replacing sensor (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mudders,

I've searched quite a bit for similar posts to my issue, but I cant seem to find anything that helps explain what I'm experiencing. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction or has had a similar issue they were able to fix.

The P0135 error is intermittent and can trigger right upon turnover after a cold start, following a hot start, randomly while driving, and often times will remain off for 2-3 starts and many miles of driving. It's HOT and humid in Lincoln, Nebraska right now (95-103 every day with +80% humidity).

Background: 1996 Lexus LX450 - stock other than deleted cats.
  • Current Error: P0135 (o2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1) -- this error was present before replacing the sensor and after.
  • Replaced upstream sensor with this Bosch sensor Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance
  • The catalytic converters have been removed and a straight pipe was welded in between the upstream and downstream o2 sensors.
  • Prior to replacing the original upstream o2 sensor, I was getting P0135 AND P0133 error codes from B1S1 (bank 1 sensor 1). After replacing the upstream sensor, the P0133 error has gone away (Error P0133 = o2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1).
  • No errors are being reported from the downstream sensor (prior to removing the cats, I was receiving errors from the downstream sensor as well)
  • I have disconnected and dielectric greased LITERALLY every single molex connection under the hood and under the chassis (even to the transmission and everything else).

Installation:
To wire in the new sensor, I disconnected the upstream sensor from the grey factory molex plug and then cut the wires right at the end of the original sensor so I had an OEM pigtail. I then took the new sensor and wired it to the OEM pigtail so I could reuse the OEM molex connector. The new sensor came with an interesting rewire connector assembly which creates a waterproof seal between the connections of the OEM wiring and the new sensor wiring.
YES, I triple-checked to make sure I rewired the new sensor correctly, and YES I checked the heater circuit for continuity/ohms from the OEM molex plug connections through the rewiring assembly to make sure I wired it correctly.
I installed the new sensor into a new hole I drilled into the exhaust because the old sensor was completely rusted in place (i sealed the small air-gaps around the flange for the new sensor placement so there wouldn't be any exhaust leaks). I filled the OEM molex connector with dielectric grease before reconnecting it and zip-tied the excess wiring/connector assembly from the new sensor to the frame.

I'm not sure if these screenshots help at all, but here are the before and after numbers coming from my o2 circuit while driving around at operating temperature.

SHRTFT B1S1 = Short-Term Fuel Trim for B1S1
O2SB1S1 = Sensor voltage sine wave feedback

Before: Vehicle at operating temps
IMG_5848.PNG

After:
Image from iOS.png

After: Cruising at 45mph
IMG_5961.PNG

After: Accelerating hard - pedal to the floor
IMG_5962.PNG

I have been sent wiring diagrams for testing but i can figure out which connections or wires to test or where they're located. Please help!

Thank you in advance!

Image uploaded from iOS (1).png

Bosch is likely your problem, known to code, the OBD2 rigs prefer Denso.

Shoot, really? That's such a bummer.

Although, I'd much more prefer to replace the sensor than have to tear open harness casings to trace broken wires.

Search the '80 forum for Bosch P0135, likely to find lots of reading.

The upstream sensor is Denso 234-4157.

Perfect, thank you so much!

Hey Mudders,

I've searched quite a bit for similar posts to my issue, but I cant seem to find anything that helps explain what I'm experiencing. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction or has had a similar issue they were able to fix.

The P0135 error is intermittent and can trigger right upon turnover after a cold start, following a hot start, randomly while driving, and often times will remain off for 2-3 starts and many miles of driving. It's HOT and humid in Lincoln, Nebraska right now (95-103 every day with +80% humidity).

Background: 1996 Lexus LX450 - stock other than deleted cats.
  • Current Error: P0135 (o2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1) -- this error was present before replacing the sensor and after.
  • Replaced upstream sensor with this Bosch sensor Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance
  • The catalytic converters have been removed and a straight pipe was welded in between the upstream and downstream o2 sensors.
  • Prior to replacing the original upstream o2 sensor, I was getting P0135 AND P0133 error codes from B1S1 (bank 1 sensor 1). After replacing the upstream sensor, the P0133 error has gone away (Error P0133 = o2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1).
  • No errors are being reported from the downstream sensor (prior to removing the cats, I was receiving errors from the downstream sensor as well)
  • I have disconnected and dielectric greased LITERALLY every single molex connection under the hood and under the chassis (even to the transmission and everything else).

Installation:
To wire in the new sensor, I disconnected the upstream sensor from the grey factory molex plug and then cut the wires right at the end of the original sensor so I had an OEM pigtail. I then took the new sensor and wired it to the OEM pigtail so I could reuse the OEM molex connector. The new sensor came with an interesting rewire connector assembly which creates a waterproof seal between the connections of the OEM wiring and the new sensor wiring.
YES, I triple-checked to make sure I rewired the new sensor correctly, and YES I checked the heater circuit for continuity/ohms from the OEM molex plug connections through the rewiring assembly to make sure I wired it correctly.
I installed the new sensor into a new hole I drilled into the exhaust because the old sensor was completely rusted in place (i sealed the small air-gaps around the flange for the new sensor placement so there wouldn't be any exhaust leaks). I filled the OEM molex connector with dielectric grease before reconnecting it and zip-tied the excess wiring/connector assembly from the new sensor to the frame.

I'm not sure if these screenshots help at all, but here are the before and after numbers coming from my o2 circuit while driving around at operating temperature.

SHRTFT B1S1 = Short-Term Fuel Trim for B1S1
O2SB1S1 = Sensor voltage sine wave feedback

Before: Vehicle at operating temps
View attachment 1725429

After:
View attachment 1725425

After: Cruising at 45mph
View attachment 1725430

After: Accelerating hard - pedal to the floor
View attachment 1725432

I have been sent wiring diagrams for testing but i can figure out which connections or wires to test or where they're located. Please help!

Thank you in advance!

View attachment 1725424
I have tnis problem now. Please tell me how you fixed it eventually

Wondering if anyone can confirm this? I just got 0135 going about a month ago. Bought a Bosch sensor (should have checked first), had it installed (didn't have time), and it's still throwing the damn code.

Trying to make sure it's not something more major??? Worried about my ol' warhorse...

I'd love to fix this for $46 (that's what the Denso one is going for on Amazon).

FYI, just bought the Denso one. Looks like this is a known issue in 1996+ ...resistance in the Bosch one reads different. Will update when I've gotten it installed.

Link to the Denso 234-4157 I just bought on Amazon for $46...

get rid of the bosch,also when you take it out and before you put it in the trash compare the sensor length that goes into the exhaust stream with the denso you will be replacing it with.the bosch will probably have a shorter stem.

I'll check that out. And I might throw it away, but first I'm going to try to get my damn money back from O'Riley's for selling me a damn incompatible part!

I'll try and get it done this weekend. I'm just ticked too, because last week I didn't have time, so I paid another $40 to a local shop to throw it in for me...now I have to buy another one and waste my time on something I already paid for/did.

*grrrrrrr*

Honestly, I did not read all of the original posts but did catch a few things that would or might cause an issue.

The fact you are running with no cats, your O2 sensor might be getting bad readings because of that. There is a way of combating that, get yourself a spark plug anti fouler. You'll have to drill it out so your O2 can get readings but it'll be far enough away from the exhaust that it won't throw errors. This is something I did with my WRX after I removed the cats on it and the engine light went away.

And then I saw what @Tools R Us mentioned about running Denso over the Bosch O2. Any post you read that he has replied to store that information away. He was one of the most respected gear heads on here, rest his soul.

You can get Denso O2 sensors from @NLXTACY for a great price.

Just replaced my O2 sensor with a Denso and after about 30 miles, it's throwing the P1035 code again. Anyone had this issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom