Updating lighting on 01 cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I've got an '01 cruiser and I am looking for better lighting, especially low beam.

I just tried a set of the Depo headlights from another mud member. They're supposed to be like the '06-07 lights without the need for the filler panel and updated grill. They fit right and look great, but I'm not happy with the light pattern.

I'm assuming, and it may be a bad assumption, that the light pattern on the stock '06-07 lights is better than the Depos. Please let me know if this is a bad assumption.

I see there are both kits and individual parts (available from Toyota and the aftermarket using OEM parts). To be honest I'm not in love with the newer (larger) grille and the larger sombrero.

By any chance, have any of you tried to fit the OEM '06-07 headlights, with the stock older style grille and full width painter lower valence (like on my '01)?

I'm not sure if I want to dump $500 +/- on an experiment as a shot in the dark.

I fitted HIR 9012 bulbs instead of 9006 which do give of better light, I got this mod from a old thread. Just a small mod to the location lugs on the lamps and they work just like the originals just brighter. Not sure what your lighting requirements are as even they are better they are still nothing like the factory Xenon's I had on my Subaru.

I fit some h1 bixenon projectors with hid kit for under 100 in parts. Great light output and cutoff. Kits available on eBay.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452448835.843688.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452448857.961208.jpg

Now that is some light! Perfect! More info please? What kit did you use? Was it difficult?

By any chance, have any of you tried to fit the OEM '06-07 headlights, with the stock older style grille and full width painter lower valence (like on my '01)?
Won't work without some trimming to both fenders to make the newer lights fit. Not a dealbreaker necessarily, but not simple plug and play either.

Other than that, the lenses fit the grill and trim strip?

Ordered some Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 HID/Bi-Xenon Projectors with Mini Gatling Gun Shrouds. Hopefully they work as well as what billygoats posted, if so I'm going to be a happy camper. More info once I get them and install.

Just need to decide if I put them in my OEM lenses or the Depo housings...

Hi Charlie. I read most aftermarket headlight require less oven temp and time. For my 99 stock lights, I used 220 for 20 mins each light, but still struggled a bit opening them up. I'm sure I could have heated them higher and/or longer, but didn't want to risk melting anything.

Thank you.

Ive done several retrofits and recommend baking the lights in the oven for 8 minutes at 275*. That and some prying should be all thats needed to remove the lense. I would highly advise not to bake them for 20 minutes, I've seen over heating headlights breaking down the plastics. Also as long as the depo lights are good structurally, I'd use those.

Other than that, the lenses fit the grill and trim strip?
I don't know the answer to that as I replaced everything together, i.e. grille and valance. With that being said, I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you're going to do it in its entirety.

Lightwerkz.com

These guys retrofitted LS430's projectors which have the widest HID beam pattern on the market. I used two new Toyota Headlight assemblies from Onur. The pattern is awesome.

06 100 Retrofit done correctly

I still have my original Headlight assemblies and will sell them cheap via pm. :)

I used a Torchstar LED bulb in existing housing in my '00 cruiser. They have an updated bulb with 175 degree beam angle and 3600 lumens. Might want to check it out if it's something you want to try. I am fairly happy with the bulbs (mine are older with 120 degree beam angle and 3000 lumens).

9006 LED Headlight Conversion Kit - TORCHSTAR

Yes more details please!! Also, is there anyway you could do a write-up? Or maybe just some tips you would have about the install process?

From my research, it seems that LC lighting upgrades and LX upgrades are two different subjects due to the quasi-projector housing in the LX? From what I've researched here and elsewhere, the LED option when used in an LX will seem a little brighter looking at the car but the projection won't go as far down the road? Can anyone validate that? To me the best option appears to be the HID kits offered by lightwerkz? Any LX-specific comments?
Thanks.

From my research, it seems that LC lighting upgrades and LX upgrades are two different subjects due to the quasi-projector housing in the LX? From what I've researched here and elsewhere, the LED option when used in an LX will seem a little brighter looking at the car but the projection won't go as far down the road? Can anyone validate that? To me the best option appears to be the HID kits offered by lightwerkz? Any LX-specific comments?
Thanks.
LED's, at least so far, do not project as far as HID's or halogen bulbs.

OEM low beams were the worst I've ever seen. Switching to H1 hid's for low beams gave me light throw about the same as oem high beams with a very clean cut off. In 4 years I've never been flashed by an oncoming driver. I upgraded the oem high beams to the 65w hit equivalent...9011 iirc, could be 9012. That made a noticeable difference and gave me maybe 40-50% better distance.

hth

Steve

My recommendation for LC owners would be retrofitting a projector and HID system. LX owners, like myself, I recommend doing a clear lense swap on the stock projector and swapping out an HID system. Thats is going to be your best option when it comes to headlights.

I did the depo 06+ lense and new grill/valance panel fender trim project, and then fitted morimoto 35w HID projector. Fantastic light output and good cutoffs. A fellow mudder had previously done a great job on the writeup so if you can muster up some search mojo and look for the thread, you will find all of the detail necessary to inform a decision on going that route. Before and after on my '99.

DSC00892.JPG

P1010018.JPG

My recommendation for LC owners would be retrofitting a projector and HID system. LX owners, like myself, I recommend doing a clear lense swap on the stock projector and swapping out an HID system. Thats is going to be your best option when it comes to headlights.

Thanks. Will I find how-to on lens swap here? Does it involve removing headlight and baking it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom