UPDATED - T case issue - still need help: clunk clunk at slow speed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alright, done! This is the first time I got to use the new lift (which was a pain in the a$$ to install) but I'm glad it's here now - a lot easier than when I did this 20 years ago in the middle of #5 at Tellico!

50050440963_5306b77455_b.jpg

I don't see anything unusual - didn't have any chunks of metal, don't see anything in the ring gear, no loose bolts, etc. Here's a vid of both sides of the ring and a twist of the pinion to show the slop - that's I think what I'm hearing...

Bumping this back up - I'm stumped. Any other ideas or anyone see anything wrong?

I don't think it did but I can recheck that - doing so will require buttoning the diff back up and more 90w so if there's anything else I need to check while it's open that would be preferable.

Thanks!!!

I only mention it, because it could be loose brake pads rattling. Usually its the outer pad. Most folks dont know to bend the outside tabs on the pad so they fit tightly into the caliper. They tend to clunk in a rythum slightly as they ride on the rotor when its spinning. If you apply the brakes they stop clunking. .

Im assuming you have rear disc brake conversion using monte carlo calipers.

What locker is that? Is it a LSD? I have had a lot of back and forth play in both my 40 and 60 with Aussie lockers but they didn't clunk like that unless turning. I had one start unloading hard in corners lurching the rig so I had to remove it. Yours seems to do it at all times. I'm wondering if it's having problems in there.

What locker is that? Is it a LSD? I have had a lot of back and forth play in both my 40 and 60 with Aussie lockers but they didn't clunk like that unless turning. I had one start unloading hard in corners lurching the rig so I had to remove it. Yours seems to do it at all times. I'm wondering if it's having problems in there.
Ok, just noticed the air line, so arb I am assuming, does it make the noise when the locker is engaged?

I had the same noise. My polybushings on my shocks were worn causing the shocks to move and make a similar noise. Drove me crazy! My son spotted the problem when I drove slowly and tried to make the noise as he walked along side the 40.

Folks - dropped driveshaft again and I can turn the output of the t-case backwards with ease but when rotating forward it hits a spot where it drags and is very difficult to turn. This makes me think either e-brake issue (but would think that would be in reverse as well) or something internal to the t-case (which is a Marlin modified case - he did the work back in the day).

Can I spin the output shaft nut so I can pull the e-brake and see if that makes a difference? Will that open up a can of worms in terms of needed special tools to set preload, etc. when I put it back?

Any and all advice is, as always, appreciated!!!

When you say a Marlin-modified case, are you referring to the pre-Orion super-low range units he offered from the early to mid ‘90s? If so, plan on pulling it NOW, while it still spins at all.

I think what he means is pull it and figure out what's wrong with it before you experience a catastrophic failure and blow up the (now unavailable) gears since that's a pretty sweet setup. On my way to taking it apart I'd drain it, pop the rear staked nut, pull the drum off the brake, and see if anything is rubbing. If it's fully disengaged and something is still dragging then you know the issue is inside.

It is my understanding that ALL of those cases failed. Something about the heat treating of the gears. :(

It is my understanding that ALL of those cases failed. Something about the heat treating of the gears. :(

I stand corrected!

Well I finally dropped the trans and xfer case in anticipation of a replacement arriving at end of month. After draining 90w (which was crystal clear in both trans and xfer - no shavings on plugs or anything), pulled the nut on the ebrake drum and pulled the drum off - found some string like substance on the shaft but nothing else. Much to my surprise, remounted the brake drum and she turns like silk forwards and backwards! Anybody got any theories as to what's up? More importantly, was it maybe the e-brake (which was unhooked from the lever BTW) somehow binding up when rotating in the forward direction? Sure would like to keep the Marlin gears if they're not trashed. Pics and vids below:

Aforementioned string junk on shaft:
Untitled by jeff elliott, on Flickr

These edges were sharp to the touch:

Gears in motion forward and backward:

Brake still dragging a bit (listen closely)

Not sure if it is the problem, but check out this thread. It looks like you might have some wear...that groove with the sharp edges shouldn’t exist, I don’t think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom