Upcoming Purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

David70FJ40

Older Than Most
Threads
Since the Relic Run I have been somewhat remiss in my participation on the forum and events. Life has a habit of getting in the way and keeping me from doing what I would like to do more of and that is drive and enjoy my 40 while getting it dirty. Hopefully that will start to change soon.

I will be making a purchase next weekend which will help me to enjoy more of what ONSC has to offer. No details yet but once the deal is done I will post photos.

Stay tuned.

I’m hoping it’s a couple square miles of land.

I should be so lucky! I would start a mud park if I had that much.

I will be making a purchase next weekend which will help me to enjoy more of what ONSC has to offer. . . .

A new computer so you can post faster, bigger pictures?

My money is on a 100 or LX470 - an overland vehicle to go with the 40.

:)

:)

You won the lottery and are buying a stand in for lifes problems so you can just drive the 40 all day???

Bad weather has delayed the pick-up of what I am buying until next week so I will go ahead and post it now.

For the past two years I have been looking for a good camping trailer I could tow behind my 40 and enjoy more time with the friends I have made at ONSC. I missed out on two for different reasons and when I saw this one I was immediately interested. Eric, @ermyer, reminded me by showing the photo at the last triad get together and I messaged the seller to see if he was interested in selling just the trailer. After a few messages we arrived at a price and I planned to go get it on 11/16. Bad weather and difficulty in getting a trailer hitch installed on my car delayed the pick-up so here are two photos of what I will be bringing back on 11/23.

Camping Trailer 1.jpg
Camping Trailer 2.jpg

Here is what I know. Built from scratch 8 years ago to suit the needs and wants of the owner. Includes the RTT, cooler and stove. It has a 3500 pound axle, electric trailer brakes and propane gas tank. I may need to add water storage and will add solar panels for a battery system for lights and accessories. Weight is about 1200 pounds so my 40 should pull it without a lot of trouble.

I will replace the wheels with spoke white wheels to match my 40, add a changing room and maybe an awning in the future. I believe there is storage for other items and I believe there is a rack on the back as well. I guess I should have bought both the trailer and LC but my budget would not handle both. (If anyone wants the wheels I am sure we can make a suitable deal.)

So, when the Relic Run happens I will be able to enjoy more time there as well as Logan's Run and maybe a beach trip or two. It is time I am able to enjoy a little time off and this will make that time more enjoyable.

As an aside, my oldest granddaughter had an accident yesterday two weeks after getting a car, 2008 Kia Sorento. I almost decided to forget the trailer and pay for the repairs until I found out that my lard bucket, good-for-nothing cheap, penny-pinching ex son-in-law only covered the car with liability. Now she has no car and he is so sorry I can guarantee he will do nothing to help with the repairs. My daughter and her current husband bought the car for cash and the agreement was for the dad to cover it with insurance. It was a hard decision but one I hope will be a life lesson for her and I hope I get the chance to face him in public and in person about his lack of parenting skills. I should notify the IRS about his lack of filing tax returns for several years but I worry about karma coming back to bite me.

Also, the seller told me that he had 48 people asking about the trailer. (Take that with a grain of salt.) He asked if he could build another trailer for me at the same price but without the brakes, RTT, cooler and stove so he could use it as a template to start making trailers for sale. To which I replied a resounding NO!

Yesterday was a busy day, 610 mile round trip in 9 1/2 hours. I guess in some ways it was my personal Black Friday because I might have done a little better than I thought I would.

When I left the sellers house the trailer went into a death wobble above 35 mph. Turns out the left tire was only inflated to 9 psi and once I had the correct air pressure put in the death wobble stopped. However, the seller changed tires out on the trailer for the worn out tires on his LC and I have three bald eagles which I am surprised made it back. Thankfully I didn't need a spare, it is completely flat. The RTT is not in the best of shape and I plan to replace it next year before the Relic Run. It is supposed to be a Howling Moon RTT but I have my doubts.

On to the better stuff.

DWS_0066.JPG

Not bad looking overall, just looks its age, 7 years, and maybe a general lack of care. The seller decided to clean the interior with oven cleaner and it worked a number on the aluminum inside. The front tongue box is stainless and has a lot of room for storage. The box on top is also useful for storage. I believe the tongue box can be used for solar panel storage, maybe. (Yes, I will remove the logos on the sides. A lady actually asked me what it was as I was eating supper last night in Roanoke. She said the name wasn't pretty. I told her I didn't much care for it either and they didn't consult me about the company name.) As you can see the tongue jack isn't permanently installed and when it is on the tongue, it is anything but stable. That will be changed. The wiring is okay but maybe a little short, it was tight in the truck mount last night and kept coming loose if I made to tight of a turn. I am considering having the tongue lengthened, stiffened and having the ball mount welded on instead of simply bolted.

DWS_0067.JPG

The left side is for cooking. The cooler is in good shape and clean, there is adequate space for other things in the sliding racks, the grill pulls out on full extension slides like the racks, cooler and storage drawers. Above the cooler is a 28 gallon water tank with a hose attached and it fills from the upper storage box. I plan to alter the layout so the water tank can be removed for cleaning and I will replace the hose with a more convenient water delivery system.
The cooler rack looks like a good place to install a fridge like the ARB. Just thinking out loud.

DWS_0068.JPG
The rear has two storage drawers on full extension slides and the right on has accessories for the cooking grill.

DWS_0069.JPG

The right side has storage for the gas bottle, storage for plastic totes for clothes and even the gas can.

Not shown; the crappy spare tire, rack that attaches to the rear of the trailer to support something over the RTT and the bicycle rack which plugs into the receiver in the rear. I have no use for the wheels so if anyone here on ONSC wants them (3), they will be offered for free once I get wheels to match the 40 and some decent tires. The bicycle rack is also something I will most likely never use so if anyone wants it let me know. I'm sure we can work something out.

Trailer Rear.jpg

Future plans; I want to raise the RTT up above the upper storage box by building a rack to support it which will give me storage space for tables and chairs. I plan to replace the RTT with a little larger model with an annex room under it on the right side. There is no way to level the trailer so I want to add leveling jacks in the rear and use the tongue jack to help level.

If anyone sees anything I might have missed or any suggestions, I am all ears.

BTW The seller still has the LC. Doesn't look like this now, looks like the paint has been covered in bed liner and he wonders why no one is offering more than $2000 for it. The RTT on the LC and awning is also still available.

Will not be able to attend, no sitter for the wife and I doubt that I will have the tires and wheels in time.

Roanoke, VA? That's where I live! Would have loved to see it up close before you work your magic!

Travis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom