Up in Smoke (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
web.mac.com
I posted this in the 40 section but I wasn't sure how often you guys visited there.

White Smoke
My truck is spewing white smoke. On Tuesday night I changed the oil, plugs wires cap and rotor. While driving that night I noticed a little smoke. On Wednesday morning I drove the truck around running some errands. I noticed that the truck would only smoke in third gear. And especially when climbing a hill in thrid.

I have read the HG threads and I am pretty much convinced that is what I have. I just don't want to get into just to find out it wasn't the problem.

When I get home today I am going to look for oil in the rad, water in the oil and check to see if the rad bubbles at idle. Anything else?

I am not having good luck with my cruisers right now. I might have a blown HG on the 80 as well. I am avoiding looking into it too serously until this weekend because it would ruin my motivation at work.

Is it smoke or steam? If it's steam, you have a very good chance of a blown head gasket. If it's smoke it could be a number of things: blown head gasket, leaking piston rings and/or leaking valve seals would be the most likely culprits. If you have some time, I could send you to see my dad and he'd probably diagnose it for free. He's a mechanic with lots of Toyota experience and even owns an '82 FJ60. The only thing he can't do is actually work on your truck for you because he has a bad back. Send me a PM and I'll give his phone number if you want to go that route.

Marc

Rory -

Sorry to hear about Cruiser problems. Hopefully it won't be something serious (like HG) with both the 40 and the 80 at the same time. That would be a major bummer. But I know you will get a lot of good help and advice from the guys on this list. I'm only about a half a banana mechanic myself, but at least I can offer moral support!

It does sound like you're on the right track with things to look for. I had a blown HG on my old '86 Toyota pickup (22r engine) with 175,000 miles at the time. No sign of oil in the coolant or vice versa, it was leaking coolant into the #4 cylinder and burning all of it. The only symptom was the level of coolant in the overflow bottle dropped after being driven. I think we finally did a pressure check of the cooling system to figure it out. When the head had been removed, the top of the #4 piston looked like it had been steam cleaned.

Good luck and hang in there!

Evan

Thanks Evan it sounds like Marc's dad might be able to help me out. Luckily I am good friends with the owner of Big Dog Towing and will be able to use his connections in the mechanic realm. An old friend of his builds funny cars and milled the block of another friends 22RE for forty dollars.

I have my fingers crossed but if the head haskets are blown at least I have some resources.

my old 2F used to smoke a bunch on cold start up for 30 seconds or so. that was rings for sure at 177k miles. not sure about under load like you are having. the head is pretty easy to remove on an old 2F. you probably need to adjust the valves anyway.

not sure about under load like you are having...
Bad rings usually smoke more when you let off the throttle, not under load. My first guess is the HG with the discharge being steam as Marc suggested.

Dude,

Head gasket jobs are great fun...I highly recommend it :) Now that you have a second vehicle and all.....

Ali

So....

I checked the rad, all is green. I checked the oil, all was... oil colored. I had no bubbles at idle. So I decided I'd let some oil out. Why not...

I let quite a bit out. Checked the stick and drove it. I tried to recreate the engine stress that was giving me all that smoke. But I had no luck. I think the color looked "white" but was, in fact, "blue." I drove for over an hour and never had it smoke.

So moral of the story is don't change the oil on your truck!!!:doh:

Blue smoke is definitely oil. I suppose if you really overfilled the crankcase (2F takes 8 qts IIRC) then you could get some oil in the PCV which would definitely make for some oil smoke.

So speaking of the PCV...

Where the heck is it? I bought a replacement from Dan and I can't find the original on my truck. The call has been for the manuals.

I love being lost.:eek:

So speaking of the PCV...

Where the heck is it? I bought a replacement from Dan and I can't find the original on my truck. The call has been for the manuals.

I love being lost.:eek:

Passanger side of the motor, towards the back, on the side cover.

Last edited:
Hey Rory...

I just passed you over on the road that leads out to Corrales. Da' 40 looks good man!!! I was looking for it, but I didn't see any smoke coming out of the back. I have to say.... I'm jealous.

Mike

hmm...
the road that leads out to Corrales...
I was on Alameda going to visit my parents or are you talking about the Coors Bypass?

I saw a Yellow FJ but I didn't see the CB antennae so I didn't think it was you.

It would have been easier to tell it was you if we had HDC stickers :rolleyes:

:flipoff2:

I think I read in another post that Shawn put up that the meeting is at Skipper's house and he will have the stickers.

Marc

Yep. Rendezvous April 14th. We will have to discuss a snow run (or something) the next weekend. Maybe we can get an updated map for Socorro - Gordy's Hill. We really should do something constructive out there sometime too, to help develop the place. I feel kind of guilty not doing Work there while enjoying the benefits thereof...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom