Unresponsive MFD (And unresponsive replacement MFD). What now? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, the MFD circuit board was a fail. New one didnt do anything different. The saga continues.

View attachment 2723524

Long story short, I had to drop the LX off with a mechanic friend who could pull some reference sheets (see above) and take a look for me. As you can see, the ACC fuse was the issue and the MFD was still in working order. I thought I had checked the fuse and eliminated it because the power outlet was still operating, but I guess they're not connected.

I did it up buying a new tool for next time. My mechanic friend suggested this for tracking down automotive electrical issues - Amazon product ASIN B005MVB3S0
Good luck to everyone else having issues!
The link isn't working for me...can you post the name of the recommended tool? Cheers

The link isn't working for me...can you post the name of the recommended tool? Cheers

Power Probe III w/Case & Acc - Red (PP319FTCRED) [Car Automotive Diagnostic Test Tool, Digital Volt Meter, AC/DC Current Resistance, Circuit Tester]​

probe.jpg

Bummer, another AC amplifier didnt do anything either. Just seems like no power going to the side and bottom buttons… screen works fine.

checked all the cables and internal harnesses as well. Everything checks out fine…. 🧐
might have to send mine in too… if they know what to do here…

I told them exactly what my issue was and he said it’s fixable. We shall see.

I told them exactly what my issue was and he said it’s fixable. We shall see.
I sent my MFD to AutoBeYours. My unit would power on and display fields for info but nothing would be displayed in the fields: MPG, DTE... and no control of HVAC or backup camera. They "repaired" it and sent it back but there was no change in operation. They said the circuit board was replaced and had no further help to offer.
I would install he PX6 but I'm not sure it would fix my issue.

I sent my MFD to AutoBeYours. My unit would power on and display fields for info but nothing would be displayed in the fields: MPG, DTE... and no control of HVAC or backup camera. They "repaired" it and sent it back but there was no change in operation. They said the circuit board was replaced and had no further help to offer.
I would install he PX6 but I'm not sure it would fix my issue.
Did you have the "Check connection of the air conditioner" message? Would a new or remanufactured head unit fix our issue?

Surely someone has had this issue and been able to fix it considering it was a TSB on several models. I’m planning to send mine off this week to hopefully have it repaired.

My local Toyota dealership is replacing the MFD per the 2005 TSB. The display will have a two year warranty and will take a few weeks to get in. I'll keep you posted.

I just got mine working again, by sourcing a used MFD unit (in known working condition)…
would be nice to have my old one(s) repaired too, for spares.

That’s great. Where’d you get it? After trying lots of things (new MFD and AC amp) Toyota has determined that the the Gateway ECU was bad on mine and not communicating with the AC (they swapped with a known working unit to test). The part will be here Tuesday, I’ll report back once wrapped up.

I’m not exactly sure where the gateway ECU is located. It’s a fairly small thin, gray box. Toyota says they’ve never seen one go out.

So they put a new gateway in and that fixed it? - G4
You must be the luckiest man alive. New screen for free and then a gateway and it's fixed? that's amazing.

it's under the steering wheel with a 24 position connector on it. It should be the same on all models.

If you wanted to rule out the stereo completely, unplug it and read the resistor thread about installing it temporarily on the TX lines. That would be in the r38(c) connector on the LC. 64 ohm 1/2 watt. @pnwbmt
unplugging the stereo 100% eliminates all sorts of culprits, nav drive, rear seat audio, dvd changer, antenna relay, steering wheel buttons, television ecu.(backup cam) None of those things would keep the HVAC from working though, just the stereo.
Installing the tesla thing won't fix a wiring issue.

If the resistor on the data lines makes the HVAC work again and the "check ac connection" note goes away it's safe to say the stereo may be the issue.
Try a couple different resistors and cycle the ignition a few times to get multiple check sequences.

before that I'd buy all new fuses- all. Not the ebay or lowest priced amazon. At least lightly sand down the legs of all of them, and check and clean the grounds listed in the wiring book.

The education you can get from the wiring book and the 3 service manuals is second to none, if you have the time.

Unrelated to landcruiser, it's amazing how many lexus parts I've broken in the last 4 days because there aren't paper manuals anymore.

Which is to say, you will save yourself money if you own and use the service and wiring books.

@jerryb The screen (MFD) wasn’t free, but it was a Toyota refurbished unit. That was the first thing they tried after fuses. Then, when the problem still persisted, I bought a used AC amplifier and had them try swapping it in - still no luck even though it was a working unit. The last thing to try was the gateway ECU which seemed to work (tested from a gx470 that was in the shop as well). Hopefully the part will be in this week and I’ll be back on the road with heat and air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom