Underdash wiring / birds nests / P.O. 'mods' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I had a challenging day wrenching yesterday. Had to replace the antenna mast that I broke loading the rack with the radio on :doh:

Of course I had to pull the antenna unit out becuase the toothed cord was broken, not stripped. I found out that the mounting nut was stripped as well :doh:

Decided to tear into the dash to replace the burnt-out bulbs in the instrument cluster (D and 2 had gone). So I tear into it. Not so bad, had the cluster out in about 15 minutes (tilt the cluster bottom up to get it out easily with the steering wheel tilted all the way down). Got to the bulbs (only one broken plastic clip) and replaced the instrument cluster. So I'm feeling pretty damn good, getting the whole thing back together when I drop a screw down by the ignition :doh:

Well, to get the screw I have to remove the metal kick-panel under the lower portion of the dash. All the bolts come out fine but one is stripped to hell. Curious. Of course it breaks on removal :doh:

So I have to drill it out :doh:

While I'm in there, I see some strange electrical connections. Very NON-FACTORY :doh:

Now keep in mind this rig has factory speakers, head unit, subwoofer, amp, etc. So there shouldn't be any extra audio wiring. Or a 3-relay block with varying gauges of wire. WTF?

Here's a neat-o pic. There's a little wire running down to the drivers rocker and going lord knows where. I want to rip this crap out but I gotta figure out what the hell it's all doing :doh:

Any ideas on what this all is before I get out the multimeter and wiring diagrams?
DSC00433.jpg

remote door locks / alarm?

Yea. remote start I would say too. I've seen a Bulldog brand remote starter kit with 3 relays and plugs similar to that. Probably other remote starters have relays like that too, so now you have to find the brain of it all and a remote since it might still work.

My guess would be emote starter. The remote door lock control typically has two relays (lock and unlock).

Remote start! Sure didn't think of that!

I'll check it out more closely and report back. If it IS remote start, I'll be taking it out and fixing the crappy wiring job the P.O. left, not much need for that here in S. Cal.

I'm trying to figure out what other components this thing entails, haven't seen much else but I've got a few non-OEM wires to trace yet...

Cheers!

one can never have too many relays around! :D

Well, no :banana: :banana: :banana: for anyone...

It ended up being a way overdesigned but badly implemented kill-switch. Not a bad idea but lordy, what a rats-nest of wiring to accomplish something so simple! And stupid too, and some of the splices into the ignition and starting circuits were barely electrical-taped together. Thank god I didn't have to try to track down anything on THAT mess on a trail somewhere!

Anyone need some relays and little bits of wire and used electrical tape?

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom